• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > See, that's the problem. When a woman gets angry, men say that there is something wrong with them. Look up the origin term hysterical. They refuse to look at how they may have contributed to her being angry. They refuse to consider her a rational person.

> > > > > I understand she was angry. That isn't the point. The point is that she had absolutely no reason to lash out at this dude for some perceived slight. If that were the case, we would all have to walk on eggshells, and I'll be damned if I do that for anyone.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah, I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"; men and women inherently think differently. Acknowledge it and move on, or lash out at the innocent and be a social pariah.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Actually, she did have a reason to. That goes back to my post about women being able to speak up and react to this more freely now (though not free enough, it seems).

> > >

> > > But when a men speaks freely, it is sexist, when a female speaks freely, it is power. Do you not see a problem with that?

> >

> > No, that is not the case. Again, he started it, intentionally or not. She responded appropriately at what she reasonable saw as rude.

>

> No, the bottom line is, MOST people agree that her response is NOT APPROPRIATE.

This isn't a democracy.

> @"Morg.5986" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > Actually, she did have a reason to. That goes back to my post about women being able to speak up and react to this more freely now (though not free enough, it seems).

> What did he do?

The worst thing possible apparently. He slightly disagreed with a woman.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > See, that's the problem. When a woman gets angry, men say that there is something wrong with them. Look up the origin term hysterical. They refuse to look at how they may have contributed to her being angry. They refuse to consider her a rational person.

> > > > > > I understand she was angry. That isn't the point. The point is that she had absolutely no reason to lash out at this dude for some perceived slight. If that were the case, we would all have to walk on eggshells, and I'll be damned if I do that for anyone.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yeah, I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"; men and women inherently think differently. Acknowledge it and move on, or lash out at the innocent and be a social pariah.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Actually, she did have a reason to. That goes back to my post about women being able to speak up and react to this more freely now (though not free enough, it seems).

> > > >

> > > > But when a men speaks freely, it is sexist, when a female speaks freely, it is power. Do you not see a problem with that?

> > >

> > > No, that is not the case. Again, he started it, intentionally or not. She responded appropriately at what she reasonable saw as rude.

> >

> > No, the bottom line is, MOST people agree that her response is NOT APPROPRIATE.

>

> This isn't a democracy.

Right now, I don't know what your objective is.

> @"Morg.5986" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > Go to your first post and read from there.

> So by all of this logic, I could knock someone's head off tomorrow because what a dude went through 30 years ago? In what world does this make sense?

>

>

I thought we were having a reasonable discussion. Reductio ad absurdum is disingenuous. I'm very sorry you went there.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"squallaus.8321" said:

> > > > @"squallaus.8321" said:

> > > > > > @"squallaus.8321" said:

> > > > > > > She works for Anet. They don't own her. Deroir had every right to post what he did. It was horrible, but she did have an open conversation. That does not mean that she has to accept that kind of behavior. He post was basically, "I think you're writing sucks. Now smile for me." And a large, toxic group of the fanbase got upset that a woman defended herself and just didn't take the abuse.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Go on link Deroir's posts directly where he said "I think you're writing sucks. Now smile for me.".

> > > > > >

> > > > > > JP directly referrenced her work on GW2 Living World story in her 'private' twitter account that is open to the public view and reply.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Also, seriously, his magic solution is branching dialogue? I would have ridiculed him just for that.

> > > >

> > > > Whether Deroir's suggestion is a good one or not is besides the point. JP claiming it to be sexism when it isn't is what annoys people.

> > >

> > > People need to get over then.

> >

> > No. Mistreating people because of their gender should not be accepted. Mistreating people claiming that they are sexist when they are not should also not be accepted. Very clearly in this case JP mistreated Deroir because she literally sees everything as sexist.

>

> Prove that.

You mean prove Deroir is not a sexist? So you assume he is guilty unless proven innocent?

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"Shoyoko.7309" said:

> > > > @"Jitsuryoku.9038" said:

> > > > > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > > I think at this point it is meaningless to try and have a conversation about this. Those who are against Anet's decision are just trying to perform mental gymnastics to try and justify Price's action or did not read previous responses and the same kitten issue is being raised every page or simply making conclusions out of thin air without strong, objective facts or simply trying to 'interpret' something that isn't there. It is not moving forward and is just going to result in Ad Hominem between the 2 sides. I think some have wild guesses on why Fries was fired as well and quite frankly, none of us have actual facts to back up the argument as this is definitely discussed exclusively between Anet.

> > > >

> > > > PLEASE! Link those facts! I couldn't find them in that mess of links pointing back and forth!

> > >

> > > I do not want to link anything, I don't want to be accused of cherry picking. A good place to start would be the few Reddit threads. Take your time to absorb it.

> >

> > Here you go my lovelies,

> > http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2-lurches-to-yet-another-pr-nightmare

> > <3

>

> Oh, that's tame. Wow! I thought there something really offensive that I missed.

???

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > > See, that's the problem. When a woman gets angry, men say that there is something wrong with them. Look up the origin term hysterical. They refuse to look at how they may have contributed to her being angry. They refuse to consider her a rational person.

> > > > > > > I understand she was angry. That isn't the point. The point is that she had absolutely no reason to lash out at this dude for some perceived slight. If that were the case, we would all have to walk on eggshells, and I'll be damned if I do that for anyone.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yeah, I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"; men and women inherently think differently. Acknowledge it and move on, or lash out at the innocent and be a social pariah.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Actually, she did have a reason to. That goes back to my post about women being able to speak up and react to this more freely now (though not free enough, it seems).

> > > > >

> > > > > But when a men speaks freely, it is sexist, when a female speaks freely, it is power. Do you not see a problem with that?

> > > >

> > > > No, that is not the case. Again, he started it, intentionally or not. She responded appropriately at what she reasonable saw as rude.

> > >

> > > No, the bottom line is, MOST people agree that her response is NOT APPROPRIATE.

> >

> > This isn't a democracy.

>

> Right now, I don't know what your objective is.

>

Hopefully to educate just a little bit. I don't expect people to change their minds fully. But maybe just a little, consider someone else's (a woman's) perspective and wonder whether the reaction to her comments might not be about what was said but who said it.

> @"Morg.5986" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > I thought we were having a reasonable discussion. Reductio ad absurdum is disingenuous. I'm very sorry you went there.

> So is that a no? Is that because I'm a man?

>

>

I already pointed out the flaw in your question. You've shown your true colors. Bye.

> @"Victus.9301" said:

> ArenaNet you are freaking cowards, at best this is a kitten "talk with HR" situation, but no gotta appease the mob calling for blood. Glad to see we haven't progressed at all from 2014.

I"m surprised they aren't calling her a witch.

I must admit that I had some doubts about Peter Fries and Jessica Price's comments during the developer ask-me-anything and their recent Twitter storm didn't help improve my opinion of them. Terminating employees is always a hard decision but I believe that whoever made the decision weighed the options and made the decision that was ultimately right for the company. A ship's captain can't allow insubordinate crew members to go unpunished or else it sends a message to the rest of the crew that such behavior is tolerated. No matter what anyone else says, I stand behind the company's leadership on this occasion and have faith that they did the right thing. No one can truly know what else was going on behind the scenes or whether this was the first offense for either employee but I'm willing to give HR the benefit of the doubt.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > > > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > > > See, that's the problem. When a woman gets angry, men say that there is something wrong with them. Look up the origin term hysterical. They refuse to look at how they may have contributed to her being angry. They refuse to consider her a rational person.

> > > > > > > > I understand she was angry. That isn't the point. The point is that she had absolutely no reason to lash out at this dude for some perceived slight. If that were the case, we would all have to walk on eggshells, and I'll be damned if I do that for anyone.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Yeah, I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"; men and women inherently think differently. Acknowledge it and move on, or lash out at the innocent and be a social pariah.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Actually, she did have a reason to. That goes back to my post about women being able to speak up and react to this more freely now (though not free enough, it seems).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But when a men speaks freely, it is sexist, when a female speaks freely, it is power. Do you not see a problem with that?

> > > > >

> > > > > No, that is not the case. Again, he started it, intentionally or not. She responded appropriately at what she reasonable saw as rude.

> > > >

> > > > No, the bottom line is, MOST people agree that her response is NOT APPROPRIATE.

> > >

> > > This isn't a democracy.

> >

> > Right now, I don't know what your objective is.

> >

>

> Hopefully to educate just a little bit. I don't expect people to change their minds fully. But maybe just a little, consider someone else's (a woman's) perspective and wonder whether the reaction to her comments might not be about what was said but who said it.

Trust me, I did, some of us did. We still feel that her response isn't appropriate. Even if she was angry, even if it's justified, there are better ways to respond to it. Similar to how you say that Derior should have phrased it another way, we are saying similar stuffs.

Why not look from our perspective as well?

Btw: "To educate" is a ted bit condescending, don't you think?

> @"Victus.9301" said:

> ArenaNet you are freaking cowards, at best this is a kitten "talk with HR" situation, but no gotta appease the mob calling for blood. Glad to see we haven't progressed at all from 2014.

I mean, I don't know why this is still going on. But another possible scenario is that they asked her to apologize and smooth the situation over, and she either quit or had a fit and it escalated.

We don't know the whole story behind their decision, which is why I feel like it may have been better left closed after Mike's comment. Then again, if the 20 posts on the same subject not including the ones that were already shut down prior is any indication, this train wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

I didn't know the full context of her tweets, and they were pretty ridiculous, but I'm partially wondering if this sudden urge to jump on the bandwagon with pitchforks held high is in part due to the issues with the latest release. Would this kind of animosity be so intense if it was mostly unanimously regarded as a great addition? I mean, it's the internet, and it's remarks about sexism, so I guess it probably would either way.

Anyway, stepping out now. More heat in here than Thaumanova.

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> > > > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > > > > See, that's the problem. When a woman gets angry, men say that there is something wrong with them. Look up the origin term hysterical. They refuse to look at how they may have contributed to her being angry. They refuse to consider her a rational person.

> > > > > > > > > I understand she was angry. That isn't the point. The point is that she had absolutely no reason to lash out at this dude for some perceived slight. If that were the case, we would all have to walk on eggshells, and I'll be damned if I do that for anyone.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Yeah, I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"; men and women inherently think differently. Acknowledge it and move on, or lash out at the innocent and be a social pariah.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Actually, she did have a reason to. That goes back to my post about women being able to speak up and react to this more freely now (though not free enough, it seems).

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But when a men speaks freely, it is sexist, when a female speaks freely, it is power. Do you not see a problem with that?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No, that is not the case. Again, he started it, intentionally or not. She responded appropriately at what she reasonable saw as rude.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, the bottom line is, MOST people agree that her response is NOT APPROPRIATE.

> > > >

> > > > This isn't a democracy.

> > >

> > > Right now, I don't know what your objective is.

> > >

> >

> > Hopefully to educate just a little bit. I don't expect people to change their minds fully. But maybe just a little, consider someone else's (a woman's) perspective and wonder whether the reaction to her comments might not be about what was said but who said it.

>

> Trust me, I did, some of us did. We still feel that her response isn't appropriate. Even if she was angry, even if it's justified, there are better ways to respond to it. Similar to how you say that Derior should have phrased it another way, we are saying similar stuffs.

>

> Why not look from our perspective as well?

>

Mostly because your perspective is already well represented here. But I do appreciate your response.

It was the right business decision. We are talking about a self proclaimed professional here. Someone with over ten years of experience working in the gaming industry. Deriors supposed behaviour is a different issue entirely. Even as a partner, he is just an amateur and fan.

Not that I agree with giving him the blame either way. You simply do not stoop down to a rude customer's level. No matter how rude they are. You can be firm and defend yourself but YOU DO NOT openly insult them or call them names.

And don't give me that 'on her free time' nonsense. She basically went to hang out with their customers and to talk about topics concerning her team's work and ArenaNet as a whole. It may have included twitter rather than a restaurant and nerds on the internet rather than some rich suits but they are still paying customers looking to talk to a member of the team. She was indeed representing her former employer in said situation and did manage to put a rather negative light on them as a company. Producing a PR nightmare.

I would have been fine with a sincere apology rather than terminating both of their contracts but what is done is done. Her behaviour was clearly a bigger deal than some seem to think given ArenaNet's swift action.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > What exactly are you referring to?

> > > > In what way is it obvious to see Deroir's alleged condescension? It looks innocent to me.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I can understand that it looks that way to many people, especially to men, who don't have deal with this kind of condescension on a regular basis. The issue is that his response was something pretty basic in her field. Bringing it up as he did implied that she wasn't aware of it and thus not inadequate at her job. As I stated earlier, a better approach would have been to ask, "What about branching dialogue options? Do you think that would improve players' investments in their characters?" This is treating her respectfully and acknowledging her as a professional.

> > >

> > > Again, you might say that she is being overly sensitive, but women, especially women in writing and game development, have to deal with this kind of behavior constantly. It's only been fairly recent that they've been able to speak out against it and express their feelings on being treated this way. Despite that, there are many who don't like women doing this and are fighting hard against it. Anet, but firing her, gave those people what they wanted.

> >

> > The thing is it dont matter if this happen to be a woman or a man the respons from Deroir would have been the same.

>

> Then he's a jerk. But that he did it to a woman does matter. Men still have more physical, economic, and social power over women. His interactions with her contain a different power dynamic than his interactions with other men.

Okay so.. she makes a post about difficulties in writing the episodes for all the different ways people view THEIR "commander" as behaving vs a set in stone written character. Deroir has some ideas and suggestions, how is he to voice them to her? You'd think well, be polite offer your suggestions in a helpful manner directly to her as a response, the most direct way, and as we see it most respectful way. But she doesn't see it as helpful constructive feedback, she sees it as condescending mansplaining because it's a man doing it. So is he to seek out a coworker of hers to bounce the idea off of first and act as a liason? OH NO, now it's excluding her from the process and marginalizing her! There's no way to win when you have an attitude like that. Honestly YOU need to get over yourselves and let constructive dialogue take place without thinking everything is sexism. It's not. Had Miss Price been a male writer expressing the same challenges, Deroir would probably suggested the same thing the same way. The way we see it, telling someone directly when they have a suggestion is seeing them as an intelligent and talented person who can accept feedback or an idea, and possibly make use of it in some way using their own expertise. Going around and telling someone else like say, their boss or some other company rep, seems less respectful

> @"Morg.5986" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

>

>

> Yeah, I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"; men and women inherently think differently. Acknowledge it and move on, or lash out at the innocent and be a social pariah.

>

Oh, I missed this. There's nothing right in that book. It actually hurts relationships between men and women and furthers the sexual divide.

Just following up on this. This is not an invitation.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > What exactly are you referring to?

> > > > In what way is it obvious to see Deroir's alleged condescension? It looks innocent to me.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I can understand that it looks that way to many people, especially to men, who don't have deal with this kind of condescension on a regular basis. The issue is that his response was something pretty basic in her field. Bringing it up as he did implied that she wasn't aware of it and thus not inadequate at her job. As I stated earlier, a better approach would have been to ask, "What about branching dialogue options? Do you think that would improve players' investments in their characters?" This is treating her respectfully and acknowledging her as a professional.

> > >

> > > Again, you might say that she is being overly sensitive, but women, especially women in writing and game development, have to deal with this kind of behavior constantly. It's only been fairly recent that they've been able to speak out against it and express their feelings on being treated this way. Despite that, there are many who don't like women doing this and are fighting hard against it. Anet, but firing her, gave those people what they wanted.

> >

> > The thing is it dont matter if this happen to be a woman or a man the respons from Deroir would have been the same.

>

> Then he's a jerk. But that he did it to a woman does matter. Men still have more physical, economic, and social power over women. His interactions with her contain a different power dynamic than his interactions with other men.

In pc culture victimhood status is a desireable thing. The more of a victim you are. The more power you have to wield. It gives you the "moral highground". Their exists a victim hierarchy with all sorts of power dynamics. Generic men (no mention of race or sexual identity etc.) do not receive victim status. They are generally looked on as victimizers. So naturally pc people looking on this current situation see Deroir as the aggressor in this situation. After all, Ms Price is a woman and they have victim status and therefore the moral highground. According to pc culture, she has righteous reasons for lashing out at this male interloper. They may not agree with how she did it but they will say she had the absolute right to react as she did.

I disdain political correctness and of course don't agree with those defending Ms Price.

> @"Devildoc.6721" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Morg.5986" said:

> > > > > > What exactly are you referring to?

> > > > > In what way is it obvious to see Deroir's alleged condescension? It looks innocent to me.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I can understand that it looks that way to many people, especially to men, who don't have deal with this kind of condescension on a regular basis. The issue is that his response was something pretty basic in her field. Bringing it up as he did implied that she wasn't aware of it and thus not inadequate at her job. As I stated earlier, a better approach would have been to ask, "What about branching dialogue options? Do you think that would improve players' investments in their characters?" This is treating her respectfully and acknowledging her as a professional.

> > > >

> > > > Again, you might say that she is being overly sensitive, but women, especially women in writing and game development, have to deal with this kind of behavior constantly. It's only been fairly recent that they've been able to speak out against it and express their feelings on being treated this way. Despite that, there are many who don't like women doing this and are fighting hard against it. Anet, but firing her, gave those people what they wanted.

> > >

> > > The thing is it dont matter if this happen to be a woman or a man the respons from Deroir would have been the same.

> >

> > Then he's a jerk. But that he did it to a woman does matter. Men still have more physical, economic, and social power over women. His interactions with her contain a different power dynamic than his interactions with other men.

>

> Okay so.. she makes a post about difficulties in writing the episodes for all the different ways people view THEIR "commander" as behaving vs a set in stone written character. Deroir has some ideas and suggestions, how is he to voice them to her? You'd think well, be polite offer your suggestions in a helpful manner directly to her as a response, the most direct way, and as we see it most respectful way. But she doesn't see it as helpful constructive feedback, she sees it as condescending mansplaining because it's a man doing it. So is he to seek out a coworker of hers to bounce the idea off of first and act as a liason? OH NO, now it's excluding her from the process and marginalizing her! There's no way to win when you have an attitude like that. Honestly YOU need to get over yourselves and let constructive dialogue take place without thinking everything is sexism. It's not. Had Miss Price been a male writer expressing the same challenges, Deroir would probably suggested the same thing the same way. The way we see it, telling someone directly when they have a suggestion is seeing them as an intelligent and talented person who can accept feedback or an idea, and possibly make use of it in some way using their own expertise. Going around and telling someone else like say, their boss or some other company rep, seems less respectful

I stated several times that I don't believe he was polite, helpful, or respectful. His post was about himself at her expense and nothing more. You aren't going to get anywhere with me until you can change my mind on that.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > @"slayerking.3581" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > He post was basically, "I think you're writing sucks. Now smile for me."

> > > >

> > > > This is factually inaccurate.

> > >

> > > I paraphrased to describe what a woman may feel on the receiving end of his post. I thought that was obvious. I hope it clearer now.

> >

> > Clear as mud! Not one thing said by Deroir was offensive or rude at all. All you are doing is clutching at straws. Whether it was a male or female it was a response to a public post that got a reply totally uncalled for by ANYONE male or female. Instead of offering her professional opinion she went full kitten and when you have your employers details out in public view and abuse someone like she did on something about working at that company prepare to be sacked and again male or female.

>

> Deroir didn't ask for her professional opinion.

No he/she politely gave a retort to an open piece then got abused and slammed as sexist, That is not the way a professional acts.