World past history

Other people beat me to the links I was going to post. :)

So I'll just add that one thing to bear in mind is that most GW2 lore and history is presented in-universe (with occasional comments from developers around it), which means what we know is limited to what people in Tyria are able to find out. So the timeline doesn't go back to the dawn of time because we simply don't know when that was or much about it. The earliest date on the timeline is a rough estimate and believed to be the last time the Elder Dragons awakened. They are believed to have destroyed most life on Tyria, including almost wiping out all civilisations and as a result there's very few records or even archaeological evidence from before then.

You also have to factor in the 'unreliable narrator' effect. In-universe sources will be biased or simply ignorant of some information, and that will influence their descriptions of events. For example a lot of human sources (and therefore a lot of info from GW1) claim that the 6 Gods created the world, for humans, and that perception influences their interpretation of other events. (For example the Forgotten, who were known to have a civilisation before humans arrived on Tyria, were seen as servants of the Gods sent to make way for humans.) So you will often find conflicting accounts and ambiguous information. That's not necessarily a mistake by Anet's writers, it's at least as likely a deliberate choice.

hmm what I was specficially looking for was some description on some of the screenshots I see inbetween load screens. I saw one that looked like modern day skyscrapers albiet blasted and ruined. Somethings in this game..technology and stuff remind me heavily of thundarr the barbarian/gamma world(for those rp'rs out there).

> @"Joranti the Harvester.3976" said:

> hmm what I was specficially looking for was some description on some of the screenshots I see inbetween load screens. I saw one that looked like modern day skyscrapers albiet blasted and ruined. Somethings in this game..technology and stuff remind me heavily of thundarr the barbarian/gamma world(for those rp'rs out there).

As someone said, most are just concept art that either never made it into the game or embellished certain things to capture the essence of the area that they couldn't with the in game graphics.

Thundarr the Barabrian though....blimey that's going back some!

Highlighting these points (since for some reason, a lot of fans sometimes don't realize)...

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> ... what we know is limited to what people in Tyria are able to find out.

and

> factor in the 'unreliable narrator' effect. In-universe sources will be biased or simply ignorant of some information, and that will influence their descriptions of events.

NPCs will sometimes get stuff wrong, and the wiki documents it all. I think that's a really interesting (and fun) choice by the devs, to have in-game disagreements, mysteries, and confusion. The Commander might have few choices about what he/she does, but we each can choose (to an extent) what we believe about some of the lore.