one viable thief build 1v1?

MindWipe.3028

before the last patch i personally knew of two solid thief builds, d/p daredevil, and i less know build which was a perma quickness build for deadeye. well the perma quickness build has been destroyed by the acro steal recharge nerf which leaves me with d/p. Does anyone know of any other good 1v1 builds for thief? i already tried the new deadeye "buffs" and i have found them all to be completely useless.

> @"MindWipe.3028" said:

> just for 1v1s, mostly pvp but if you have a good 1v1 build for wvw it is worth hearing

Thieves are more than often not advised for 1x1, but if I would work a build for it i would prolly use the standard S/D build as base:

Power Version:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Thief_-_Marauder_S/D

Condi Version: (recently nerfed)

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_S/D_Condition

> @"killy.3278" said:

> d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

>

> It'd be terrible for mobility though.

No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

> @"MindWipe.3028" said:

> s/d dont work anymore. they nerffed the steal recharge. tbh it was kitten b4 then after they destroyed the damage and recharge timer

The steal recharge doesn't make much difference on the Power Build. You won't be spamming it like the Condi build.

And yes, the condi got the hit on DPS, but for 1x1 it works great since it can kite and deal pressure better than the power build. Nerf or not.

They nerfed the potency but not the condi application, you can still do heavy condi pressure even on builds with more cleaners.

If you are going to play D/P, better use Daredevil. I might argue that even rifle DE is better than any Dagger variation of it. (and yes, you could have both).

That said, I do believe that despite having better potential against other Thieves, S/D is still better against other classes.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > @"killy.3278" said:

> > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> >

> > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

>

> No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

>

> D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

except d/d looks better :)

while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> except d/d looks better :)

> while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

Or you could go with an empty off-hand, and have access to the dreaded [Twisting Fangs](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twisting_Fangs "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twisting_Fangs")! :-D

Ps. I wish main-hand weapons could get separate 4 and 5 skills also. I want to be able to fight viably with only a [Plasma Sword](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plasma_Sword "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plasma_Sword")/[Holosmith's Sword](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Holosmith%27s_Sword "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Holosmith%27s_Sword")... Jedi style!

> @"Kageseigi.2150" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > except d/d looks better :)

> > while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

>

> Or you could go with an empty off-hand, and have access to the dreaded [Twisting Fangs](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twisting_Fangs "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twisting_Fangs")! :-D

>

>

> Ps. I wish main-hand weapons could get separate 4 and 5 skills also. I want to be able to fight viably with only a [Plasma Sword](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plasma_Sword "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plasma_Sword")/[Holosmith's Sword](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Holosmith%27s_Sword "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Holosmith%27s_Sword")... Jedi style!

New e-spec - Bodyguard

Class mechanic - single wield w/ 5 skills

New weapon - none

I...I can actually go for something like that.

> @"killy.3278" said:

> New e-spec - Bodyguard

> Class mechanic - single wield w/ 5 skills

> New weapon - none

>

> I...I can actually go for something like that.

We may as well go all-out!

Take 4 weapons (2 main-hand, 2 off-hand) and duel-wield as usual, but with the ability to use any of them as single weapons at any given time! :-D

Ps. Did I mention removing the weapon-swap cooldown? My goodness... I would settle for that alone!

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > @"killy.3278" said:

> > > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> > >

> > > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

> >

> > No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

> >

> > D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

>

> except d/d looks better :)

> while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

Use DE and Payback. Everything is better. Trust me.

> @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > @"killy.3278" said:

> > > > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> > > >

> > > > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

> > >

> > > No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

> > >

> > > D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

> >

> > except d/d looks better :)

> > while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

>

> Use DE and Payback. Everything is better. Trust me.

what do i need a onkill trait for in WvW ? sry no i dont trust you on this one.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > @"killy.3278" said:

> > > > > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> > > > >

> > > > > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

> > > >

> > > > No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

> > > >

> > > > D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

> > >

> > > except d/d looks better :)

> > > while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

> >

> > Use DE and Payback. Everything is better. Trust me.

>

> what do i need a onkill trait for in WvW ? sry no i dont trust you on this one.

I guess you only fight 1v1 and there never another person around? KILL and all your Utilities have 20 percent lower cooldown. Kill the second guy. Kill a freaking guard if you have to .

I was just in WvW with this earlier trying P/d condition revamped fighting small groups of enemies. My stealths , My venoms , my Shadowstep all came off Cooldown earlier after making a kill on the mark allowing me to load them up quicker and use them against bad guy number two and number three. This acts as a UNIVERSAL 20 percent lower cooldown to all Utility types.

Example my mark was downed and not yet killed and two enemy were focusing me. my heal was close to recharge but one more hit I am done. I had Immobs stacked on me. Ally stomped the downed BANG my heal that was 5 seconds away was ready, was used and I was saved.

Asking why you would take Payback because it an on kill trait in WvW and why would one need that if the guy already dead is like asking "why would i want silent scope" if the guy already dead. It helps you get that guy dead.

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > > @"killy.3278" said:

> > > > > > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

> > > > >

> > > > > No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

> > > > >

> > > > > D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

> > > >

> > > > except d/d looks better :)

> > > > while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

> > >

> > > Use DE and Payback. Everything is better. Trust me.

> >

> > what do i need a onkill trait for in WvW ? sry no i dont trust you on this one.

>

> I guess you only fight 1v1 and there never another person around? KILL and all your Utilities have 20 percent lower cooldown. Kill the second guy. Kill a freaking guard if you have to .

>

>

> I was just in WvW with this earlier trying P/d condition revamped fighting small groups of enemies. My stealths , My venoms , my Shadowstep all came off Cooldown earlier after making a kill on the mark allowing me to load them up quicker and use them against bad guy number two and number three. This acts as a UNIVERSAL 20 percent lower cooldown to all Utility types.

>

> Example my mark was downed and not yet killed and two enemy were focusing me. my heal was close to recharge but one more hit I am done. I had Immobs stacked on me. Ally stomped the downed BANG my heal that was 5 seconds away was ready, was used and I was saved.

>

> Asking why you would take Payback because it an on kill trait in WvW and why would one need that if the guy already dead is like asking "why would i want silent scope" if the guy already dead. It helps you get that guy dead.

yet with silent scope noone would be focusing you at that time, you wouldnt need that heal because you would be way more frequent in stealth wich heals you up, clears condis and breaks target wich leads to even less focus on you.

silent scope helps before and during the figh. payback just when your mark is gone.

the skills with cooldown i usually need to execute/stomp not to build malice, so i can after a stomp take my time building malice and then everything is ready again anyway. with frequent stealth i have all the time in the world, no hurry, no need for even lower cooldowns.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > > > @"killy.3278" said:

> > > > > > > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

> > > > >

> > > > > except d/d looks better :)

> > > > > while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

> > > >

> > > > Use DE and Payback. Everything is better. Trust me.

> > >

> > > what do i need a onkill trait for in WvW ? sry no i dont trust you on this one.

> >

> > I guess you only fight 1v1 and there never another person around? KILL and all your Utilities have 20 percent lower cooldown. Kill the second guy. Kill a freaking guard if you have to .

> >

> >

> > I was just in WvW with this earlier trying P/d condition revamped fighting small groups of enemies. My stealths , My venoms , my Shadowstep all came off Cooldown earlier after making a kill on the mark allowing me to load them up quicker and use them against bad guy number two and number three. This acts as a UNIVERSAL 20 percent lower cooldown to all Utility types.

> >

> > Example my mark was downed and not yet killed and two enemy were focusing me. my heal was close to recharge but one more hit I am done. I had Immobs stacked on me. Ally stomped the downed BANG my heal that was 5 seconds away was ready, was used and I was saved.

> >

> > Asking why you would take Payback because it an on kill trait in WvW and why would one need that if the guy already dead is like asking "why would i want silent scope" if the guy already dead. It helps you get that guy dead.

>

> yet with silent scope noone would be focusing you at that time, you wouldnt need that heal because you would be way more frequent in stealth wich heals you up, clears condis and breaks target wich leads to even less focus on you.

> silent scope helps before and during the figh. payback just when your mark is gone.

> the skills with cooldown i usually need to execute/stomp not to build malice, so i can after a stomp take my time building malice and then everything is ready again anyway. with frequent stealth i have all the time in the world, no hurry, no need for even lower cooldowns.

Hold on! I was responding to a post where you were talking about d/d.

Sielnt Scope does NOTHING for any build but Rifle. If you are in Rifle and want to stay there, by all means use Silent Scope. If you are in any other weapon set Silent scope is of no use.

Even in a rifle build the use of Silent scope is predicated on how key Rifle to your build and how long you stay in it. I currently have two iterations of Rifle, one where it the key to the build and one where it just my ranged attack and s/p the key and focal point. In the latter Silent scope is inferior. If I am 70 percent of the time in s/x , I am not going to make use of Silent Scope. If P/p or SB my ranged option, I am not going to be using Silent scope.

You might not feel any need to hurry a cooldown in a 1v1 where there no one else around but if you are battling with groups of players on iehter side, having your cooldowns come off cooldowns 20 percent and MORE earlier is more then just a little welcome. You do not have "all the time in the world" when your group is trying to flip a Keep before reinforcements arrive and you do not have all the time in the world to park stealth if you are defending a camp against 3 people intent on flipping it.

In a Zerg Versus Zerg Fight , I feel my goal is to get as many people downed as possible in as short a period of time as I can rather then single out one and bide my time getting him downed. In that zerg fight I can move my mark from target to target to target much more quicklys as the team is heliping Stomp them and reset that Renewing gaze much more quickly. You can get close to full time uptime on the active of Assassins Signet as example or Multiple team Cleanses viA SOA.

Added to that while there never a situation where Silent Scope helps a non rifle build (see staff mastery) there ARE situations where one might prefer Payback in a build with Rifle , just as some staff users would take PI or EA.

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > > @"babazhook.6805" said:

> > > > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > > > > @"killy.3278" said:

> > > > > > > > d/d DE with infil sig might be workable? Use dagger4 to build malice, F2 to get stealth, and infil sig + MBS for a big hit.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It'd be terrible for mobility though.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No. ISignet engage range is only 900. D/P's Shadow Shot is also 900 and the kit has access to ranged/OOC stealth, blinds, and interruption, and DE gives tons of free initiative from M7. Plus, D/P is just strictly better for 1v1's as it is.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > D/D has almost zero PvP synergy with DE. D/P is simply always better in all scenarios where an opponent tries to fight back.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > except d/d looks better :)

> > > > > > while i play d/p+rifle (build up malice on rifle and backstab with d/p, basically what the above proposed just safer), i rarely use d/p 3,4,5 so i could go d/d, then again i wont need 3,4,5 on d/d and the ones on d/p got at least a little utility. but for most fights wouldnt be different and it would look better with d/d..

> > > > >

> > > > > Use DE and Payback. Everything is better. Trust me.

> > > >

> > > > what do i need a onkill trait for in WvW ? sry no i dont trust you on this one.

> > >

> > > I guess you only fight 1v1 and there never another person around? KILL and all your Utilities have 20 percent lower cooldown. Kill the second guy. Kill a freaking guard if you have to .

> > >

> > >

> > > I was just in WvW with this earlier trying P/d condition revamped fighting small groups of enemies. My stealths , My venoms , my Shadowstep all came off Cooldown earlier after making a kill on the mark allowing me to load them up quicker and use them against bad guy number two and number three. This acts as a UNIVERSAL 20 percent lower cooldown to all Utility types.

> > >

> > > Example my mark was downed and not yet killed and two enemy were focusing me. my heal was close to recharge but one more hit I am done. I had Immobs stacked on me. Ally stomped the downed BANG my heal that was 5 seconds away was ready, was used and I was saved.

> > >

> > > Asking why you would take Payback because it an on kill trait in WvW and why would one need that if the guy already dead is like asking "why would i want silent scope" if the guy already dead. It helps you get that guy dead.

> >

> > yet with silent scope noone would be focusing you at that time, you wouldnt need that heal because you would be way more frequent in stealth wich heals you up, clears condis and breaks target wich leads to even less focus on you.

> > silent scope helps before and during the figh. payback just when your mark is gone.

> > the skills with cooldown i usually need to execute/stomp not to build malice, so i can after a stomp take my time building malice and then everything is ready again anyway. with frequent stealth i have all the time in the world, no hurry, no need for even lower cooldowns.

>

> Hold on! I was responding to a post where you were talking about d/d.

>

no deceiver said d/p is allways superior to d/d, in the post i made i said i run d/p + rifle but i only need backstab and heartseeker off that dagger set so i could run d/d.

> Sielnt Scope does NOTHING for any build but Rifle. If you are in Rifle and want to stay there, by all means use Silent Scope. If you are in any other weapon set Silent scope is of no use.

>

> Even in a rifle build the use of Silent scope is predicated on how key Rifle to your build and how long you stay in it. I currently have two iterations of Rifle, one where it the key to the build and one where it just my ranged attack and s/p the key and focal point. In the latter Silent scope is inferior. If I am 70 percent of the time in s/x , I am not going to make use of Silent Scope. If P/p or SB my ranged option, I am not going to be using Silent scope.

>

again i was talking about d/x + rifle builds and even said i dont use skill 3,4,5 much on the d/x set so yes i am alot in rifle.

> You might not feel any need to hurry a cooldown in a 1v1 where there no one else around but if you are battling with groups of players on iehter side, having your cooldowns come off cooldowns 20 percent and MORE earlier is more then just a little welcome. You do not have "all the time in the world" when your group is trying to flip a Keep before reinforcements arrive and you do not have all the time in the world to park stealth if you are defending a camp against 3 people intent on flipping it.

>

my build is not focused around group combat, yet even in group combat i deal high single target damage and with frequent target breaks they cannot focus me so they will die one by one pretty quick. trying to hold a camp 1 vs 3 running d/x+ rifle has the issue that i do not have aoe , not as much mobility and not as much evade as you have on s/p. i prollly will still try to kill them but depending on situation i will let it flip. payback wont make me win the fight, if they are bad enough that i can kill them quick with payback, then i can kill them as quick without. maybe even fast as again targetbreaks => less pressure on me => more damage.

> In a Zerg Versus Zerg Fight , I feel my goal is to get as many people downed as possible in as short a period of time as I can rather then single out one and bide my time getting him downed. In that zerg fight I can move my mark from target to target to target much more quicklys as the team is heliping Stomp them and reset that Renewing gaze much more quickly. You can get close to full time uptime on the active of Assassins Signet as example or Multiple team Cleanses viA SOA.

>

if i run a deadeye over a soulbeast in a zerg to snipe people then i still take silent scope because then obvioulsy my intention is not to get focused by opposing gankers, else soulbeast will be better IMO. but i would probably play my rev now if i would join a zerg, i didnt run long with a zerg for quite a while now tho, i might use my zerg to get into a keep or tower to then flip it but i wont really move with em to fight other zergs on my deadeye.

> Added to that while there never a situation where Silent Scope helps a non rifle build (see staff mastery) there ARE situations where one might prefer Payback in a build with Rifle , just as some staff users would take PI or EA.

again you quoted me were i was talkin about d/x+ rifle build, why would i care in such a post about non rifle builds. i personally dont think i will use payback on deadeye, glad you like the trait.

Even though I really didn't like to see the SE nerf, I think it's not too impactful at all. Almost never would it happen that you'd need to use Steal so much rather than keep waiting for better opportunity.

The only instance I can think of, in which it might make a difference, is when fighting Holo in PF mode where you really need to interrupt several skills or get deleted. PF is also difficult to kite due to leaps and range of the attacks, so... yeah.

Anyway, Core S/D Power should still be the better one, now due to SE nerf also viably replaceable by Daredevil traitline.

OP only saw 2 solid 1v1 builds? There were and still are plenty of 1v1 builds. SE nerf is not very noticeable to phase out S/D builds. I'm not going to make skill editor builds, but everyone should be able to perform with:

Core S/D - DA/Acro/Trick

DrD D/P - DA/Trick/DrD

DrD Staff - Acro/Trick/DrD (bruise not burst)

DrD S/D - Acro/Trick/DrD (bruise not burst)

DE Rifle - DA/Trick/DE

DE Rifle - CS/SA/DE

Felt the need to specify bruise because some Thief players seem to think that Thief can *only* be viable when built to maximize damage and burst only...

These are just power builds that I am successful with. @"saerni.2584" probably has multiple effective condi builds, too.

Forgive my lack of Thief experience but isn't the class as a whole designed in such a way that it should be very good in 1v1, due to the skills being essentially "on demand" with careful initiative management? Thief has a fair bit of access to stuns and stealth that I presume allow you to win via control of the fight over raw burst damage or sheer sustained application?

Stylistically I like S/P which I run on a daredevil spec with limited success, but I don't think I have the right mindset to play thief well, I have cooldowns too ingrained in my habits to really take advantage.