What could be the next expansion's mastery focus?

Most masteries have been very movement or transportation based.

I don't think many features would fit a leveling system.

Vehicles come to mind, but they might be more like mounts. Although the sea with boats might be really cool.

Housing could work, but where do we live, will we have a typical commanders house? Sounds kind of off I guess.

I wouldn't mind something more theorethical or fun, like a camera or scanner to take pictures/scans of animals to make your very own bestiary.

I guess traditional mastery skills like pickpocketing, detect traps, lockpicking, sense alignment, hearing, smelling , feeling etc from DnD could be an inspiration too. xD

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"miraude.2107" said:

> The few professions that still cannot switch weapons being able to now switch weapons? =) My engi would love Anet forever if they finally did this. Nothing like playing my mesmer, switching to do something with the engi, go to switch from rifle to sword/board and realize, oh yeah....I can't. :s

>

> As much as I know people are saying water....I think they are gonna sideswipe us and we are gonna deal with a certain dilemma concerning Aurene and her, uh, 'habits.' I feel we may be dealing with a ton of altered Branded for next expac as we try to figure out a way to not kill an elder dragon yet still save the day.

>

> So I say any new mastery will probably be dealing with more things to do with ley lines and crystals along with one dealing with armor for the mounts to withstand it.

Engineer switches weapon more than any other class, they are just weapons you summon yourself. Kits function exactly like weapons on other classes, only you get to equip way more of them at once.

If they must do an open sea expansion, as a lot of people seem to think they must, then I'd like to see something sail boat related. I'd rather we spend time _above_ the water rather than under it. Maybe island hopping and open seas travel. Something akin to Wind Waker, maybe. Except, mmo. I dunno. I hate underwater.

Ships, water mounts, and underwater mounts could be neat. If we go this direction, we need an Innsmouth equivalent.

Maybe make a bestiary. That could be interesting. Give small bonuses against certain types of enemies(not affecting Elite and up) if you've killed a ton of them. Maybe hotswap build based on enemy type? This would allow for different playstyles against different enemies. I think it could be fun.

This is often mentioned, but I'd love to increase the diversity of weapon types. Maybe have elite weapons that break the rules of normal weapons.

> @"Roam.5208" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > I want duel professions like in gw1. 4 skill trees. Primary professions f1 skills. Secondary professions can add weapons and utility skills.

>

> I feel like that would unleash pure chaos onto this game.

Bring on the chaos. :p I too would like dual professions. Might be a pain to balance, sure, but I have faith considering they were able to do it in GW1 with over a thousand skills. I'm just always on the side of sheer variety. Plus, it's about time Masteries got back to enhancing your level 80 character into doing things that expands the actual combat options of your character. I believe the last Mastery to actually do this was adding in a Downed 5, which I love.

But I'd say keep the weapons primary, but add the utility skills of the secondary profession. And the third selectable trait line could have traits of a second profession, except for that second profession's elite specialization (meaning you could only do core/ core).

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > Since new Expansion is speculated to be a Water themed Expansion:

> >

> > *Underwater Mounts- Mounts with full 360 x 360 degree of movement underwater. Last Upgrade of the Mastery allow you or others to Jet Ski from the back of your Water Mount when on the surface of the Water.

> >

> > *Island Player Housing Instances - Each player gets a Island of their own, that they can fully build a house on and place/rotate/flip objects and put them wherever they want in their instance. Mastery improve what you can do.

> >

> > *Fishing - New Skill. Mastery improve what you can Fish and what tricks you can do to catch fish.

> >

> >

>

> A lot of the speculation I've seen points to a charr homelands expansion, not an underwater one.

>

> A number of posters want underwater content but let's be honest here there are a lot of the same people in all the underwater threads and in general underwater content is not that popular. Think of all the underwater content they've added since launch; how little there is.

And mounts were non-existant, and wasn't a popular idea...... until they showed they could make it fun. So we went from "serves no purpose, and would only cause visual clutter" to "OMG Roller Beetle!!!!".

The reason underwater combat isn't popular, is because we haven't been shown a good way to use it yet.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > Since new Expansion is speculated to be a Water themed Expansion:

> > >

> > > *Underwater Mounts- Mounts with full 360 x 360 degree of movement underwater. Last Upgrade of the Mastery allow you or others to Jet Ski from the back of your Water Mount when on the surface of the Water.

> > >

> > > *Island Player Housing Instances - Each player gets a Island of their own, that they can fully build a house on and place/rotate/flip objects and put them wherever they want in their instance. Mastery improve what you can do.

> > >

> > > *Fishing - New Skill. Mastery improve what you can Fish and what tricks you can do to catch fish.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > A lot of the speculation I've seen points to a charr homelands expansion, not an underwater one.

> >

> > A number of posters want underwater content but let's be honest here there are a lot of the same people in all the underwater threads and in general underwater content is not that popular. Think of all the underwater content they've added since launch; how little there is.

>

> And mounts were non-existant, and wasn't a popular idea...... until they showed they could make it fun. So we went from "serves no purpose, and would only cause visual clutter" to "OMG Roller Beetle!!!!".

>

> The reason underwater combat isn't popular, is because we haven't been shown a good way to use it yet.

Mounts were always a popular idea. There were those who were opposed to them and some of them still are opposed to them.

Difference is that mounts were added to the game recently while underwater content and combat has existed in the game since before launch. It's not particularly fun, people have said that it's confusing and frankly I find it dull, you're simply floating in space with limited access to skills, weapons and traits.

Ground combat has so many more options and is so much more interesting because of the way skills are targeted and the fact that terrain plays a role in combat there.

If ArenaNet manage to make underwater combat interesting then that'd be great, I don't mind the underwater areas, but I don't see how they can solve the problems with targeting or having interesting battlegrounds underwater.

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"miraude.2107" said:

> > The few professions that still cannot switch weapons being able to now switch weapons? =) My engi would love Anet forever if they finally did this. Nothing like playing my mesmer, switching to do something with the engi, go to switch from rifle to sword/board and realize, oh yeah....I can't. :s

> >

> > As much as I know people are saying water....I think they are gonna sideswipe us and we are gonna deal with a certain dilemma concerning Aurene and her, uh, 'habits.' I feel we may be dealing with a ton of altered Branded for next expac as we try to figure out a way to not kill an elder dragon yet still save the day.

> >

> > So I say any new mastery will probably be dealing with more things to do with ley lines and crystals along with one dealing with armor for the mounts to withstand it.

>

> Engineer switches weapon more than any other class, they are just weapons you summon yourself. Kits function exactly like weapons on other classes, only you get to equip way more of them at once.

At the cost of your skill slots.

I think it's only a matter of time before another class gets kits as part of an elite. When that happens, I'd like them to revisit Engineer and Elementalist and reconsider the weapon swap limitation on them.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > @"miraude.2107" said:

> > > The few professions that still cannot switch weapons being able to now switch weapons? =) My engi would love Anet forever if they finally did this. Nothing like playing my mesmer, switching to do something with the engi, go to switch from rifle to sword/board and realize, oh yeah....I can't. :s

> > >

> > > As much as I know people are saying water....I think they are gonna sideswipe us and we are gonna deal with a certain dilemma concerning Aurene and her, uh, 'habits.' I feel we may be dealing with a ton of altered Branded for next expac as we try to figure out a way to not kill an elder dragon yet still save the day.

> > >

> > > So I say any new mastery will probably be dealing with more things to do with ley lines and crystals along with one dealing with armor for the mounts to withstand it.

> >

> > Engineer switches weapon more than any other class, they are just weapons you summon yourself. Kits function exactly like weapons on other classes, only you get to equip way more of them at once.

>

> At the cost of your skill slots.

>

> I think it's only a matter of time before another class gets kits as part of an elite. When that happens, I'd like them to revisit Engineer and Elementalist and reconsider the weapon swap limitation on them.

That seems fair, though I would point out even if you lose a utility slot, you gain five weapon abilities, many with utility attached, and an F key skill. That trade seems to work out for the engineer. I would like to see ranger get kits if anyone gets them, along with hammer. I don't know what the theme would be, but it just seems to fit better than any other class. Maybe thief.

> @"Imperadordf.2687" said:

>

> And I want a pet unicorn

Wait, that's it!

Mix the idea of a pet with the Hero stuff from GW1, and you get the next set of masteries. You get the pet, and it can do one thing for you. Then, as you complete the mastery lines, it grows and gains more abilities to help you. Here's an example:

Tier 1: Pony. Sometimes it kicks things for a bit of extra damage.

Tier 2: Pegasus pony. If you have it out, you take reduced damage from falls.

Tier 3: Unicorn pony. It can now open specific barriers, and does more damage by using the horn.

Tier 4: Alicorn. You now get the fall reduction for having ANY of the new pets out.

By putting stuff like the fall damage traits onto the helper pets, you get to have them and still choose something else in your trait lines.

(Note: It is very, very late here, and I hope I am joking.)

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> A lot of the speculation I've seen points to a charr homelands expansion, not an underwater one.

>

> A number of posters want underwater content but let's be honest here there are a lot of the same people in all the underwater threads and in general underwater content is not that popular.

What about the Charr homelands are you most interested to explore? What is there that is or could be relevant to the story direction? Bubbles is not there, so by going there at all right now, we would continue to be going on a story detour.

> Think of all the underwater content they've added since launch; how little there is.

Right. That is why there needs to be more. Not more of the same we've had since launch. Time for new experiences. Not more flat lands in a place too devoid of any relevant or timely story potential.

Cantha is HOT. To not go there by the next expansion would be a HUGE mistake on nearly every level including a financial one. UW content is new and game/game industry- changing. The time is now. Not after another detour plot into random lands.

> @"KidRoleplay.3615" said:

> > @"Roam.5208" said:

> > > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > > I want duel professions like in gw1. 4 skill trees. Primary professions f1 skills. Secondary professions can add weapons and utility skills.

> >

> > I feel like that would unleash pure chaos onto this game.

>

> Bring on the chaos. :p I too would like dual professions. Might be a pain to balance, sure, but I have faith considering they were able to do it in GW1 with over a thousand skills. I'm just always on the side of sheer variety. Plus, it's about time Masteries got back to enhancing your level 80 character into doing things that expands the actual combat options of your character. I believe the last Mastery to actually do this was adding in a Downed 5, which I love.

>

> But I'd say keep the weapons primary, but add the utility skills of the secondary profession. And the third selectable trait line could have traits of a second profession, except for that second profession's elite specialization (meaning you could only do core/ core).

The balance in GW1 was notoriously difficult, was not as good as people seem to remember, and frequently completely broke game modes in unforeseen ways. Smiter's Boon is one of the more legendary examples.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > A lot of the speculation I've seen points to a charr homelands expansion, not an underwater one.

> >

> > A number of posters want underwater content but let's be honest here there are a lot of the same people in all the underwater threads and in general underwater content is not that popular.

>

> What about the Charr homelands are you most interested to explore? What is there that is or could be relevant to the story direction? Bubbles is not there, so by going there at all right now, we would continue to be going on a story detour.

The story has had absolutely nothing at all to do with the deep sea dragon and the fact that we can't kill dragons anymore indicates that we won't be going after any more in the story any time soon. So why seek out a new dragon that doesn't threaten us at all when there are three that do (and whose minions are direct threats now).

As for what's up there, charr allies, the flame legion, it's the origin of Krakaltorik - which may be significant from the point of view of finding a way to deal with the dragons without killing them and destroying the world - and also it borders the far shiverpeaks and jormag. So charr allies threatened by two sets of dragon minions and the flame legion.

> > Think of all the underwater content they've added since launch; how little there is.

>

> Right. That is why there needs to be more. Not more of the same we've had since launch. Time for new experiences. Not more flat lands in a place too devoid of any relevant or timely story potential.

>

> Cantha is HOT. To not go there by the next expansion would be a HUGE mistake on nearly every level including a financial one. UW content is new and game/game industry- changing. The time is now. Not after another detour plot into random lands.

Underwater content is neither new (it has been there since launch) nor industry changing (it's hardly the first game with underwater content, nor the first MMO).

Again, the story so far has had nothing to do with either Cantha or the deep sea dragon. I appreciate that you like it but any trip to the sea to deal with some brand new threat that has literally never reared its head before is more of a detour than a trip to the North would be with its known enemies and threats.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> >

> > A number of posters want underwater content but let's be honest here there are a lot of the same people in all the underwater threads and in general underwater content is not that popular.

>

> What about the Charr homelands are you most interested to explore? What is there that is or could be relevant to the story direction? Bubbles is not there, so by going there at all right now, we would continue to be going on a story detour.

I don't want dragon villains anymore. They need to find an original main villain.

> > Think of all the underwater content they've added since launch; how little there is.

>

> Right. That is why there needs to be more. Not more of the same we've had since launch. Time for new experiences. Not more flat lands in a place too devoid of any relevant or timely story potential.

I don't like any kind of underwater content. I am pretty sure most players don't like it.

> Cantha is HOT. To not go there by the next expansion would be a HUGE mistake on nearly every level including a financial one.

They've done Elona to please the GW1 fanbase. It's time for something new. It will be a dead-land and full of Afflicted-Risen anyway.

>UW content is new and game/game industry- changing. The time is now. Not after another detour plot into random lands.

Not every "change" is good. A lot of players don't like underwater content. And Blood Legion Homelands aren't "random lands". The land is the base of the freaking Charr army. There are a lot of lands at North which aren't used. Why expand the map more if you haven't used the existing map fully?