The boat ride in Labyrinthine Cliffs

I greatly appreciate inclusions like this this. Content doesn't have to be filled with combat, jumping, racing or other button-mashing experiences for it to be enjoyable. In fact, I find it's quite often the opposite. Fewer clicks is often more enjoyable for me, and sometimes I just want to be able to sit back and enjoy the scenery without having to activate the controls at all.

> @"sakura.7961" said:

> How do you join?

If you look at the map, there's a little red boat next to a dock on one of the islands. That's where the ride starts, but the boat isn't always there. If it isn't, take a skimmer out onto the water around the little islands, then dismount when you find it and sit in one of the chairs. Kick back and enjoy the scenery :)

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> Hm, perhaps I should go to Lab Cliffs, after all.

> See, I don't care much for AP or little games, but I do care for taking your time to admire some of the game's beauty.

Do it! The ride lasts about 15-20 minutes, I think. Daytime is the prettiest, but the night skies in the cliffs are stunning.

I really like this feature here and in Sanswept. It's a fun thing to do while doing something else and I guess it's gooood for the RP community...if those guys/gals are still around...

Does it need an achievement? As an AP hunter, yes, everything needs an achievement and no achi should give less than 10AP. As a reasonable player, I doubt finding a location(usually known to the community within minutes and spread through teh interwebs) and going afk for 5-10 min should net you an achi. It would be different if something happened along the ride, if it were tied to an event of some sorts, like a pirate attack or a seamonster, it would be a different thing. Also, adding an achi to the boatrides would probably lead to the boats beeing always crowded with players who want that sweet AP, this would not add at all to the experience of a relaxing boatride. One more point, if you ride the boat for the AP you're not riding the boat to take a break from all the gathering and farming.

> @"juhani.5361" said:

> > @"sakura.7961" said:

> > How do you join?

>

> If you look at the map, there's a little red boat next to a dock on one of the islands. That's where the ride starts, but the boat isn't always there. If it isn't, take a skimmer out onto the water around the little islands, then dismount when you find it and sit in one of the chairs. Kick back and enjoy the scenery :)

Or do what I did, and land Griffy on top of the mast. That worked really well until the boat sailed under the rock arch in the north-east part of the map, because the mast is actually a couple of feet too long to fit under the arch, so it scraped me off the top of the mast onto the chair deck. There was a chair free so I dismounted, put on my Common Clothing outfit, and sat down for the ride back to the dock.

> @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> I greatly appreciate inclusions like this this. Content doesn't have to be filled with combat, jumping, racing or other button-mashing experiences for it to be enjoyable. In fact, I find it's quite often the opposite. Fewer clicks is often more enjoyable for me, and sometimes I just want to be able to sit back and enjoy the scenery without having to activate the controls at all.

Same here.

I kept meaning to do the boat ride and then one day when I'd had a really stressful, busy day at work and then came home and immediately started rushing around in-game trying to get achievements finished and enough tokens for things I want I forced myself to stop, went out to the dock, waited for the boat to arrive, and did the entire boat ride around the map. It was really relaxing and great breathing space after all the rushing around.

(Normally in that situation I'd go for a walk in real life, but in this case it was about 9pm and raining so I can't imagine that would have been nearly as relaxing.)

> @"juhani.5361" said:

> > @"sakura.7961" said:

> > How do you join?

>

> If you look at the map, there's a little red boat next to a dock on one of the islands. That's where the ride starts, but the boat isn't always there. If it isn't, take a skimmer out onto the water around the little islands, then dismount when you find it and sit in one of the chairs. Kick back and enjoy the scenery :)

>

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > Hm, perhaps I should go to Lab Cliffs, after all.

> > See, I don't care much for AP or little games, but I do care for taking your time to admire some of the game's beauty.

>

> Do it! The ride lasts about 15-20 minutes, I think. Daytime is the prettiest, but the night skies in the cliffs are stunning.

Thanks a lot for the information!

With impending doom averted once again, I will definitely take my time to discover Labyrinthine Cliffs ;)

> @"DarkNighT.7319" said:

> This boat ride really needs to be implemented in other areas with lots of water, think of it, people just chilling, sitting and its a great way to appreciate the game and surroundings

Sure, with all the monsters and other hostile creatures roaming the shores and waters, I can imagine how that makes for a "chilling" boat tour. ;)

I agree, the boat ride is a really nice addition. I'd also enjoy them in other maps, though I can't think of many which have enough of a water area, only a few. Even around LA would be nice (even though I don't like the current version of the city).

I would quite like the mechanic extended to airships too. Have a few airships flying around the core tyria maps so we could relax and look down at the scenery below. Gets around the maps needing water areas.

I did stumble upon it this weekend. Pretty neat.

I hope this is a precursor/proof of concept for us to have our own ships in a future "Steve" ocean expansion. They could even milk several different masteries out of it. One that allows us to build different kinds of ships, maybe one that allows us better customization, sailing/navigatoin skills, ship combat.

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > > @"sakura.7961" said:

> > > How do you join?

> >

> > If you look at the map, there's a little red boat next to a dock on one of the islands. That's where the ride starts, but the boat isn't always there. If it isn't, take a skimmer out onto the water around the little islands, then dismount when you find it and sit in one of the chairs. Kick back and enjoy the scenery :)

> >

> > > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > Hm, perhaps I should go to Lab Cliffs, after all.

> > > See, I don't care much for AP or little games, but I do care for taking your time to admire some of the game's beauty.

> >

> > Do it! The ride lasts about 15-20 minutes, I think. Daytime is the prettiest, but the night skies in the cliffs are stunning.

>

> Thanks a lot for the information!

> With impending doom averted once again, I will definitely take my time to discover Labyrinthine Cliffs ;)

I hope you liked the ride :)

> @"DarkNighT.7319" said:

> Can we please have this in Lions Arch!!

Yes please! I'd probably never leave =)

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> I really like this feature here and in Sanswept. It's a fun thing to do while doing something else and I guess it's gooood for the RP community...if those guys/gals are still around...

We're still here! Ideas like this boat ride are *amazing* for the RP community. In fact, my Guild actually had an RP where our character went out... and rode the boat. While ICly playing "Cards against Tyrians" with our custom CAH deck. It was fun, and required almost no effort on our part.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"DarkNighT.7319" said:

> > This boat ride really needs to be implemented in other areas with lots of water, think of it, people just chilling, sitting and its a great way to appreciate the game and surroundings

>

> Sure, with all the monsters and other hostile creatures roaming the shores and waters, I can imagine how that makes for a "chilling" boat tour. ;)

And if they add some creepy music we can all recreate [everyone's favorite boat ride scene](

"https://youtube.com/watch?v=s62msrPjSVY").

> @"juhani.5361" said:

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > Thanks a lot for the information!

> > With impending doom averted once again, I will definitely take my time to discover Labyrinthine Cliffs ;)

>

> I hope you liked the ride :)

>

> > @"DarkNighT.7319" said:

> > Can we please have this in Lions Arch!!

>

> Yes please! I'd probably never leave =)

I started to do the ride, but then the skimmer slalom started and I noticed tons of Sky Crystals so that at some point, I simply felt like my attention was anywhere but on the boat ride... thus, I shall repeat it this evening, after I completed Aspect and Master Aspect gatherer. I really like Labyrinthine Cliffs this far. Looks amazing, nice touch that you have to puzzle your way up to the top and overall a very beautiful map. Don't you hide it from us again, ANet :p