And here i thought the loot box trend was finally dead

> @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> Oh no not again...

> There already was a silly drama about it and people got what they wanted, choice between RNG and paying more for a skin you want.

>

> Give them a finger, and they’ll take the whole hand.

Be careful about giving them the finger...they might give it right back.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll be "exploiting" people whichever way they go. Either the people you're worried about who just can't stop buying random licenses, poor dears (well, they'll have to stop at 15) or the people who just can't help wanting all the new skins and have to buy all 15 at premium prices instead of the massively discounted random licenses.

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

>

> > Again, there are people who enjoy gambling.

> >

> > "Listening" doesn't automatically mean "listening to you". There are many different opinions.

>

> yes people enjoy gambling, but people who struggle with gambling will spend money whether they like it or not, the practice of gambling with lootboxes exploits that tendancy

Im not sure that depriving one customer who enjoys gambling of the ability to partake because someone else has a problem is appropriate.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> They'll be "exploiting" people whichever way they go. Either the people you're worried about who just can't stop buying random licenses, poor dears (well, they'll have to stop at 15) or the people who just can't help wanting all the new skins and have to buy all 15 at premium prices instead of the massively discounted random licenses.

but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

>

> Im not sure that depriving one customer who enjoys gambling of the ability to partake because someone else has a problem is appropriate.

if thts the case, just keep the gambling internal, ectos, bags, champ bags, halloween bags etc, but if it involves the use of money, then it can potentially cause a lot of harm

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > They'll be "exploiting" people whichever way they go. Either the people you're worried about who just can't stop buying random licenses, poor dears (well, they'll have to stop at 15) or the people who just can't help wanting all the new skins and have to buy all 15 at premium prices instead of the massively discounted random licenses.

>

> but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

>

> >

> > Im not sure that depriving one customer who enjoys gambling of the ability to partake because someone else has a problem is appropriate.

>

> if thts the case, just keep the gambling internal, ectos, bags, champ bags, halloween bags etc, but if it involves the use of money, then it can potentially cause a lot of harm

Still feels off to say that a company shouldnt provide a desired service to a customer because another customer has a problem.

> > but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

>

> They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

while they do sell them outside of RNG, they are considerably more expensive, people would be more inclined to buy 3 rolls instead of one, cos thts the point of it, to make people want to spend more for something they want, but might not get

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

>

> > > but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

> >

> > They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

>

> while they do sell them outside of RNG, they are considerably more expensive, people would be more inclined to buy 3 rolls instead of one, cos thts the point of it, to make people want to spend more for something they want, but might not get

Its funny though..once upon a time and i still think this is the case, a majority agreed that they would be willing to spend more if they had the ability to choose.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

> >

> > >

> > > Im not sure that depriving one customer who enjoys gambling of the ability to partake because someone else has a problem is appropriate.

> >

> > if thts the case, just keep the gambling internal, ectos, bags, champ bags, halloween bags etc, but if it involves the use of money, then it can potentially cause a lot of harm

>

> Still feels off to say that a company shouldnt provide a desired service to a customer because another customer has a problem.

>

>

when your company is based around constant income due to a need for new content, using a means to exploit your customers potential to gamble is a scummy practice

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

>

> >

> > Im not sure that depriving one customer who enjoys gambling of the ability to partake because someone else has a problem is appropriate.

>

> if thts the case, just keep the gambling internal, ectos, bags, champ bags, halloween bags etc, but if it involves the use of money, then it can potentially cause a lot of harm

People who can harm themselves a lot by 15 of these purchases should probably be looking into a different hobby. Heck, it's only 14 gambles actually because the 15th one will be a sure thing.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> >

> > > > but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

> > >

> > > They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

> >

> > while they do sell them outside of RNG, they are considerably more expensive, people would be more inclined to buy 3 rolls instead of one, cos thts the point of it, to make people want to spend more for something they want, but might not get

>

> Its funny though..once upon a time and i still think this is the case, a majority agreed that they would be willing to spend more if they had the ability to choose.

but the idea of choice in this situation is a joke, as its designed to play on your ability to run RNG in a game were RNG is the main form of loot aqusition

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

>

> > > but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

> >

> > They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

>

> while they do sell them outside of RNG, they are considerably more expensive, people would be more inclined to buy 3 rolls instead of one, cos thts the point of it, to make people want to spend more for something they want, but might not get

They can't make people do such a thing.

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > Im not sure that depriving one customer who enjoys gambling of the ability to partake because someone else has a problem is appropriate.

> > >

> > > if thts the case, just keep the gambling internal, ectos, bags, champ bags, halloween bags etc, but if it involves the use of money, then it can potentially cause a lot of harm

> >

> > Still feels off to say that a company shouldnt provide a desired service to a customer because another customer has a problem.

> >

> >

>

> when your company is based around constant income due to a need for new content, using a means to exploit your customers potential to gamble is a scummy practice

I dislike the loot boxes myself. Dont care for any form of gambling without at least some skill involved. Even so I dont have a problem with a company offering an option to gamble to those desiring it.

> @MikeO'Brien

>

> Mount skins are style items, and style items have some unique challenges. They’re subject to individual taste, so except for the very flashiest items, individual style items will have limited sales. Also, GW2 isn’t setup to support an enjoyable experience of browsing through a large catalog of style items, so players tend not to do that. What our data shows is that higher-priced flashy individual items can work, and lower-average-price-per-item bundles can work, but lower-priced individual items generally don’t generate meaningful revenue to support the game. And the whole point of these items is to support the game.

>

> GW2 is a content-rich online world with no monthly fee, so it’s a great overall value, with microtransactions doing the heavy lifting of funding continued development of the game. It shouldn’t also be our goal to have the lowest-priced microtransactions. In that case, the only logical outcome would be that we could afford to make less content than other developers, and I think that’s not what any of us are looking for. I love our current pace of content development and I hope we can support it for a long time to come.

This was a cross-post from reddit that someone graciously ported over during the response to the first mount license. It seems that the message it contains is applicable to this thread.

I am not a fan of gambling for loot in games. The sales method is designed to get some consumers to spend more for a given desirable bit of pixels than they would if the item were sold at a set price. There has certainly been some controversy about this business practice in games over the last several months. Consumers against such practices should state their opposition and -- more importantly -- not patronize the _practice_ even if they continue to play the game.

That said, it's worthwhile to consider that ANet has stepped away, at least for now, from strict gamble boxes. With the addition of Statuettes to BLC's and of fixed-cost mount skins to licenses, consumers now know _exactly_ what it costs to get desirable items (maybe not all of them -- I don't follow the BLC Statue list closely). The consumer is now in a better position to _know_ what it will cost to get the thing they want. This change provides the flexibility to choose whether random or straight purchase is more advantageous to the consumer. That's a huge win for consumers, if only the OP would realize it.

This new practice changes the narrative from a discussion of gambling to a discussion of price. We've seen the price issue surface as the OP's position has been better defined with subsequent posts. As with any business practice, I believe that consumers should let companies know if a price is too high for them, and choose not to patronize if that's the case. What I don't believe is that consumers should demonize companies for trying to make money by framing an issue with cost as an issue with gambling.

This is the second mount skin license set with individual purchases priced at 1200. I suspect that ANet is zeroing in on what the market will bear for this product. That may mean that the OP, and others in his/her shoes, may simply have to face the possibility that these licenses are not aimed at him/her.

> >

> > > > but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

> > >

> > > They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

> >

> > while they do sell them outside of RNG, they are considerably more expensive, people would be more inclined to buy 3 rolls instead of one, cos thts the point of it, to make people want to spend more for something they want, but might not get

> They can't make people do such a thing.

psychology of gambling and marketing

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

> > >

> > > > > but they shouldnt exploit tht, thts the point, just sell the items outside of rng, people will still buy the items

> > > >

> > > > They do sell them outside of RNG. And you're not addressing the second half of my point.

> > >

> > > while they do sell them outside of RNG, they are considerably more expensive, people would be more inclined to buy 3 rolls instead of one, cos thts the point of it, to make people want to spend more for something they want, but might not get

> > They can't make people do such a thing.

>

> psychology of gambling and marketing

Yes, and none of that makes them able to make people do such a thing.

> I dislike the loot boxes myself. Dont care for any form of gambling without at least some skill involved. Even so I dont have a problem with a company offering an option to gamble to those desiring it.

when it comes to gambling you have to be considerate of the people that struggle with gambling, in a lot of cases those people dont even realise they have spent a ton of money till its too late, this game overall caters to RNG, the skins are desirable, and people will overspend when they dont want too, and if you actively supporting tht as a company your exploiting your customers

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

>

> > I dislike the loot boxes myself. Dont care for any form of gambling without at least some skill involved. Even so I dont have a problem with a company offering an option to gamble to those desiring it.

>

> when it comes to gambling you have to be considerate of the people that struggle with gambling, in a lot of cases those people dont even realise they have spent a ton of money till its too late, this game overall caters to RNG, the skins are desirable, and people will overspend when they dont want too, and if you actively supporting tht as a company your exploiting your customers

>

Nope.

Everyone without an addiotion should not be punished because some people do have one.

Caffeine is addictive, should coffee be made illegal because some people have addictive personalities? Some people have addiction-like eating disorders...should food be tightly rationed for everyone else?

If someone has a problem they need to seek help and perhaps avoid the source of the problem, not ask that everyone else be deprived.

> Everyone without an addiotion should not be punished because some people do have one.

>

> Caffeine is addictive, should coffee be made illegal because some people have addictive personalities? Some people have addiction-like eating disorders...should food be tightly rationed for everyone else?

>

> If someone has a problem they need to seek help and perhaps avoid the source of the problem, not ask that everyone else be deprived.

>

the issue with gambling is tht its designed to make you spend a large amount of money in a short amount of time, coffee, food, relatively cheap items in comparison, and u have something physical after your purchase, lootboxes are the opposite, there is no physical item and there isnt a limit to what you can spend, potentially causeing great harm

> >

> > > Yes, and none of that makes them able to make people do such a thing.

> >

> > nope but it makes it very tempting for people tht have trouble with restraint

>

> And they might actually gamble 14 times, which will hardly bankrupt anyone.

there is still another mount setup, as well as infinite BLC, and it might not bankrupt someone, but things like paying bills or buying food could become an issue, because of impulses aided by lootboxes

> @"Zarghoul.5687" said:

> > >

> > > > Yes, and none of that makes them able to make people do such a thing.

> > >

> > > nope but it makes it very tempting for people tht have trouble with restraint

> >

> > And they might actually gamble 14 times, which will hardly bankrupt anyone.

>

> there is still another mount setup, as well as infinite BLC, and it might not bankrupt someone, but things like paying bills or buying food could become an issue, because of impulses aided by lootboxes

Well, you yourself made this topic about the new licenses, so that's what I'll restrict my comments to.