Need some help with Daredevil

tnhalbertsma.7682

So I've only recently started playing Thief and for the first time in the multiple times I've given it a go in the last 5ish years I actually really enjoyed it.

Got all the HPs for an Elite spec, pumped them all into Deadeye at PoF release, but pretty soon after I realised the playstyle didn't suit me too well.

Decided I wanted to try Daredevil cause I never have, and it's practically as 'new' as Deadeye to me.

Now, any builds you recommend? I mainly want to do open world stuff for now (PoF), but I'll be doing PvP/WvW soon. I loved D/P + Shortbow Thief, only used that setup while leveling. Not a big fan of Conditions. Willing to give up Shortbow, and mostly enjoy high-mobility playstyles (and I love having the D1 Backstab).

Would D/P + Staff be a decent setup, or will I lack the range Shortbow provides?

Something like Staff + P/P if that's the case?

Basically I'm wondering what 'viable' Power setups are. Utility/Weapon/Trait-wise.

And yes, I've checked metabattle or whatever the website's called but I felt I'd rather ask for some input/clarification rather than copy+paste a top-tier spec I might not even be able to play.

D/P and Staff are a great combo for Daredevils that are still learning and need a bit of a handicap (in terms of PvE/WvW) provided you are using the Daredevil, Trickery, and Acrobatics traitlines. You have a great opener and/or disengage with stealth from D/P, and can stay in a brawl with evasive damage using Bound (dodge modification from Daredevil), Debilitating Arc (Staff 3, instant damage/evade) and, _sparingly_, Vault (Staff 5, AoE massive damage, with the first half of the animation being an evade).

Here is a fairly cheap common build, so long as you can get the easy ascended trinkets/back/rings/amulet using living story currency, If not, you can mix the trinkets with berserker and valkyrie. Or vice versa regarding your armor/weapons.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaWn8lCFmilOBGOBkmiFqiqLBCgDYO77+x3LE+gSA-jlCEQBmTfQO2fwAHBAPohxhK/sn6PP4BAQgDBwGVCCgTQAA-w

You'd mainly open as such: Black Powder (Pistol 5), dodge (this gains stealth), backstab. Then swap to Staff and auto attack, and alternate using dodge and debilitating arc when you see an attack coming. While still learning, it is a good idea to save your steal to interrupt an ability (or damage a breakbar if PvE). If things get hairy, simply swap to D/P, shadowstep max distance away, Blinding Powder, Dodge (just press dodge key while standing still, or double tap backpedal), heartseeker, dodge, heartseeker. If more dodges are needed, or you need to clear *damaging* conditions immediately, you can use Signet of Agility. Remember that Debilitating Arc clears immobilize and cripple.

If you read through the traits, you'll see how they all synergize well with the dodge/staff playstyle - or flat out give you some handicap.

> @kash.9213 said:

> You'll probably end up with different builds for all three of those game modes, is there one mode that will be your main that you want input on? Also when you say mobility, do you mean always moving, moving fast, and gap closers or terrain access?

Yeah, for now just Open World to get used to things. Once I've gotten to know the basics of Daredevil and utilities etc, I'll do some research into PvP.

Oh and, yes I really enjoy just being able to dash around the world, but also in fights. Tried the middle dash/dodge final Daredevil trait which seemed fun but from what I've seen/heard the one that deals damage is the go-to one.

> @Turk.5460 said:

> D/P and Staff are a great combo for Daredevils that are still learning and need a bit of a handicap (in terms of PvE/WvW) provided you are using the Daredevil, Trickery, and Acrobatics traitlines. You have a great opener and/or disengage with stealth from D/P, and can stay in a brawl with evasive damage using Bound (dodge modification from Daredevil), Debilitating Arc (Staff 3, instant damage/evade) and, _sparingly_, Vault (Staff 5, AoE massive damage, with the first half of the animation being an evade).

>

> Here is a fairly cheap common build, so long as you can get the easy ascended trinkets/back/rings/amulet using living story currency, If not, you can mix the trinkets with berserker and valkyrie. Or vice versa regarding your armor/weapons.

>

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaWn8lCFmilOBGOBkmiFqiqLBCgDYO77+x3LE+gSA-jlCEQBmTfQO2fwAHBAPohxhK/sn6PP4BAQgDBwGVCCgTQAA-w

>

> You'd mainly open as such: Black Powder (Pistol 5), dodge (this gains stealth), backstab. Then swap to Staff and auto attack, and alternate using dodge and debilitating arc when you see an attack coming. While still learning, it is a good idea to save your steal to interrupt an ability (or damage a breakbar if PvE). If things get hairy, simply swap to D/P, shadowstep max distance away, Blinding Powder, Dodge (just press dodge key while standing still, or double tap backpedal), heartseeker, dodge, heartseeker. If more dodges are needed, or you need to clear *damaging* conditions immediately, you can use Signet of Agility. Remember that Debilitating Arc clears immobilize and cripple.

>

> If you read through the traits, you'll see how they all synergize well with the dodge/staff playstyle - or flat out give you some handicap.

Thanks!

Wouldn't impacting disruption also be good? To combo with Pistol3. And cool, I didn't know the bottom one of the dodges actually allowed for a leap finisher. That's gonna be neat, not having to use initiative to stealth.

The build you linked is primarily PvP focused I'm assuming? Is Basilisk Venom still good in Open World? Or better off using the 3 thieves one. Definitely gonna stick to this build, possibly changing a thing or two (condition removal isn't that necessarywhile doing maps right?).

Also, you said D/P is good to start out with, how's Sword? The Shadowstep seems amazing. If I were to run S/P + Staff, would that be decent? I feel like Sword and Pistol won't combo as well as D/P, and it might be a bit too much AoE focused.

I would end up having a hard time doing a lot of any of the game modes without going to shortbow 5 or rifle 4. Shortbow 5 can climb a bit and staggered out can cross a map pretty fast and rifle 4 is hit or miss but it can get some lucky jumps. I guess if you have staff a non gap closer second set isn't bad. D/p is good all around and gives you stealth when you want it and an interrupt along with everything else so it's nice open world pve or wvw when you're floating between group and solo, it can keep you low profile or pressure. You're talking open world stuff so you'll probably be on staff most of the time anyway.

> @kash.9213 said:

> I would end up having a hard time doing a lot of any of the game modes without going to shortbow 5 or rifle 4. Shortbow 5 can climb a bit and staggered out can cross a map pretty fast and rifle 4 is hit or miss but it can get some lucky jumps. I guess if you have staff a non gap closer second set isn't bad. D/p is good all around and gives you stealth when you want it and an interrupt along with everything else so it's nice open world pve or wvw when you're floating between group and solo, it can keep you low profile or pressure. You're talking open world stuff so you'll probably be on staff most of the time anyway.

Yeap, think I'll do Shortbow + Staff to get used to the Staff, then I might switch to a full melee setup or give P/P a go. Really curious how this is gonna work. So for staff, is Sigil of Air + Fire a good idea for added extra burst? And would it be good to have this on Shortbow as well, seeing as my crit% is decently high?