mastery level gates

Short answer: No.

Long answer: nothing is gated by mastery level (the total number of mastery points you have) but some things - most importantly the HoT and PoF storylines - require specific masteries to complete. For example to progress past the first part of the HoT story you need the first tier of gliding mastery. It doesn't matter how many points you have overall, you just need that one mastery. As far as I remember most of the other things which require masteries are adventures and some achievements.

GW2 doesn't tend to use actual skill/level gates at all. For example you can enter raids on a character who isn't even level 80, you just have an extremely low chance of succeeding. It's the same here. Nothing will stop you doing say the Dragons Stand meta-event without HoT masteries but you'll have a very hard time doing anything in the last phase if you don't have at least gliding and updrafts unlocked, and as Ayrilana said you can't do one of the side events without the posion immunity mastery. But then I'm not sure you could get to Dragon's Stand without at least gliding and updrafts unlocked (especially not your first time through HoT just playing naturally).

> @"GimReaper.4786" said:

> i love questing. the main concern is will there be enough players to do the metas if they are group based.

The solution to that in most cases is to use the Looking For Group (LFG) tool. Unlike in most games it's not just for dungeons and raids, it can be used for anything in the game and is frequently used for open-world metas.

For example if I want to do the Dragon's Stand meta-event I'll check the Wiki to see when it starts and pick a time that's convenient for me. Then about 10-15 minutes before it's due to start I head to the map and use the LFG tool to find a group. I'll join the squad and when the map resets I'll use the 'Join in Dragon's Stand' option to make sure I'm on the same map as the commander. Then I'll leave that squad and join the one for the lane I want to do. (In my case that's usually whichever lane has the least people, since I just need the Crystalline Ore so I don't care which I do.)

It's basically the same process for everything else, except you may not need to worry about the start time if it's something like PoF bounties or Silverwastes which aren't on a timer.

The only time I've had trouble finding a group for what I want to do is when it's way off peak time. Like when I forgot it was Monday (my days off were shifted recently, still not used to it) and most people were at work at 9am, not playing GW2.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"GimReaper.4786" said:

> > i love questing. the main concern is will there be enough players to do the metas if they are group based.

>

> The solution to that in most cases is to use the Looking For Group (LFG) tool. Unlike in most games it's not just for dungeons and raids, it can be used for anything in the game and is frequently used for open-world metas.

>

> For example if I want to do the Dragon's Stand meta-event I'll check the Wiki to see when it starts and pick a time that's convenient for me. Then about 10-15 minutes before it's due to start I head to the map and use the LFG tool to find a group. I'll join the squad and when the map resets I'll use the 'Join in Dragon's Stand' option to make sure I'm on the same map as the commander. Then I'll leave that squad and join the one for the lane I want to do. (In my case that's usually whichever lane has the least people, since I just need the Crystalline Ore so I don't care which I do.)

>

> It's basically the same process for everything else, except you may not need to worry about the start time if it's something like PoF bounties or Silverwastes which aren't on a timer.

>

> The only time I've had trouble finding a group for what I want to do is when it's way off peak time. Like when I forgot it was Monday (my days off were shifted recently, still not used to it) and most people were at work at 9am, not playing GW2.

ok. thanks.

> @"GimReaper.4786" said:

> i love questing. the main concern is will there be enough players to do the metas if they are group based.

Surprisingly, almost all group metas pre-PoF seem to find people, no matter how old they are. Occasionally the lfg may be required, especially if off peak hours, but otherwise you shouldn't encounter issues.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"GimReaper.4786" said:

> > i love questing. the main concern is will there be enough players to do the metas if they are group based.

>

> Surprisingly, almost all group metas pre-PoF seem to find people, no matter how old they are. Occasionally the lfg may be required, especially if off peak hours, but otherwise you shouldn't encounter issues.

tyvm. that is to hear.