Festival of the Four Winds - Its dying rapidly because its not very rewarding

The first few days compared to now are a great indicator of the longevity for this event. I barely even remember it outside of the Gauntlet fights from its first release - but its pretty boring and unrewarding right now.

For starters, coordinating boss kills takes a lot of work, and usually still doesn't get gold. Even if it did get gold, its only like, two extra bags. Even if a group is going hardcore in this place (which they stopped doing a while ago obviously) it was never anywhere near as rewarding or consistent as any of the existing meta farms.

Then there's the daily rewards for the event. I think people are mostly in it for the Mystic Coin and the lottery box you get every 5 days. I find myself going "Why are these favors of the bazaar so easy to get!? The Tokens are the bottleneck." I could be getting several other skins that I don't already have, but I'm probably not going to because farming tokens is a very tedious chore...

It really seems like the type of event that should have started off this way for the first few days, and then evolved several days later to become even more interesting. I don't know - we don't get events too often, it just kind of feels like it should have at least usurped the Istan meta for its duration..

Anyways, thats my 2 globs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should check the boat ride.

Anyway events should't be about grind and tons of gold. They should be a fun fillers between LS releases and a way for people to take a break too.

I don't see why everything in this game needs AP, gold and exotic/ascended/legendary items attached to it, to make it fun and "worth playing".

Festivals are supposed to be fun 'filler' events in between other releases. Admittedly people treat Halloween and Wintersday like the whole point is to grind mini games for gold as much as you possibly can while they're available (and I'm guilty of that too) but that doesn't mean it's a good idea or how festivals should work.

But more importantly you don't have to play the festival exclusively for the entire time it's available. I suspect Anet knew when they made it that it wouldn't take 3 weeks of regular play to complete everything in the festival, but they decided to run it for 3 weeks because people are often away or busy at this time of year and it gives more people an opportunity to play the festival when they can. But everything else in the game is still available - if you want to keep playing GW2 but you're bored with the festival you can do anything else you'd do normally, including whatever farm you consider most profitable or enjoyable.

Also if you haven't already I recommend taking the time to check out the boat ride, follow Gordon around the festival, listen to the NPCs talking to each other and talk to them yourself, find the solitary sylvari and the thieves working the bazaar and generally enjoy the stuff which isn't tied to achievements and rewards. It's a lot of fun and a nice change of pace from chasing rewards.

And of course there's also the opportunity to make up your own challenges. For some reason I decided I really wanted to complete the Pavillion race as a quaggan (using the tonic) carrying a balloon. It took me several attempts but I got there eventually, and I only 'dropped' my balloon twice (it gets disabled if you're hit). No real reason for it, but it's something I wanted to do. On a more practical note one of my guild mates has been using the gauntlet as a kind of ramped up training golem to experiment with different builds.

The entire game is built more around rewarding experiences than getting rich with loot. The festival provides some novelty. I bought a couple of home instance nodes and skins with my tokens - rewards enough imo. As for the boss blitz, people try to coordinate and get 'gold' not for the rewards, but for the challenge.

While I feel that the Boss Blitz has become a humongous pain in the butt, I'm still enjoying the rest of it. (Except Queen's Gauntlet because fighting bosses isn't really my thing.) I think the Flying Dolyak race ought to be every hour instead of every two hours, and I've never even seen the skimmer race, so not sure when/if that happens. The mount race in the pavilion is lots of fun, still, the treasure hunt is a blast, and I just love the Labyrinthine Cliffs map with its beauty and coral reefs and interesting layout(and yes, the boat ride!)

The last time that the Festival was here, there were some events in the bazaar. Talking to some merchant and inspecting her goods let out a veteran mob or something similar.

More events to do in the Bazaar would be nice.

The trash mobs in the pavilion around Sparcus have a high chance of dropping destroyer lodestones and T6 claws. That would be a good farm, but Istan exists and is more profitable than ever right now.

In any case, groups still seem to be doing the boss blitz.

I don't share OP's feeling about the tokens. I have the season one stuff, bought the new watchnight mini and have nothing to spend the tokens on other than the backpacks, which I'm not buying because I'm using my favors of the festival on weapons instead.

It's very rewarding!! In 3 days I got the gas mask which is normally very expensive!! Here I got him for 1600 tokens + 1 laurel that's almost free! Not speaking about all the kites I bought during the treasure hunt! Each day you can have rapidly by doing almost anything: around 700 tokens, 1 mystic coin, 1 favor of the bazaar + 1 favor of the pavilion (so 1 favor of the festival) every reward is easily accessible, not gonna complain about this awesome festival.

> @"Mbelch.9028" said:

> Only thing I'd complain about is if this festival will come back annually, add the currency to our wallets. Please and TY :)

If I remember correctly that was an oversight - they didn't have time to get everything else working and get the tokens into the wallet before the festival was due to be released but they are going to fix it later. I just hope they include it in an update as soon as it's done and we don't have to wait until next year for it.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> While I feel that the Boss Blitz has become a humongous pain in the butt, I'm still enjoying the rest of it. (Except Queen's Gauntlet because fighting bosses isn't really my thing.) I think the Flying Dolyak race ought to be every hour instead of every two hours, and I've never even seen the skimmer race, so not sure when/if that happens. The mount race in the pavilion is lots of fun, still, the treasure hunt is a blast, and I just love the Labyrinthine Cliffs map with its beauty and coral reefs and interesting layout(and yes, the boat ride!)

I haven't gotten to the boat ride yet, definitely need to find that. The skimmer race is a delight, very easy other than one slightly tricky bit of getting hung up on the ship at the docks and remembering to get up on land at the right point at the ship. It starts down on the water level near the airship's aft end, and you can find the timer for it at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

I've been enjoying the Festival a great deal. First week I focused on Cliffs achieves, second week I got the Pavilion done, now I'm about to face Liadri for the first time ever once I have a block of relaxed time in which to chew glass and try different professions against her. (Swapping between Reaper and Daredevil as appropriate got me to this point, and I have all the others available as well). I don't care about gold in the Blitz, so it hasn't stressed me to be in bronze/silver runs. I've gotten the mark ii tonic and mini, along with one helm, and may or may not want other items that I don't already have, I'll see how many tokens I have near the end of week three. I feel like three weeks has been just the right amount of time for my play level, so I'm happy!

> @"LoreChief.8391" said:

> The first few days compared to now are a great indicator of the longevity for this event. I barely even remember it outside of the Gauntlet fights from its first release - but its pretty boring and unrewarding right now.

>

> For starters, coordinating boss kills takes a lot of work, and usually still doesn't get gold. Even if it did get gold, its only like, two extra bags. Even if a group is going hardcore in this place (which they stopped doing a while ago obviously) it was never anywhere near as rewarding or consistent as any of the existing meta farms.

>

> Then there's the daily rewards for the event. I think people are mostly in it for the Mystic Coin and the lottery box you get every 5 days. I find myself going "Why are these favors of the bazaar so easy to get!? The Tokens are the bottleneck." I could be getting several other skins that I don't already have, but I'm probably not going to because farming tokens is a very tedious chore...

>

> It really seems like the type of event that should have started off this way for the first few days, and then evolved several days later to become even more interesting. I don't know - we don't get events too often, it just kind of feels like it should have at least usurped the Istan meta for its duration..

>

> Anyways, thats my 2 globs.

You make a lot of statements as if are fact, examples the title alone "Festival of the Four Winds - Its dying rapidly because its not very rewarding". I think to have a legit feedback for the Support\Devs for ANet, you may want to break it down for example as:

1. Subject: Feedback on Festival of the Four Winds

2. Provide a list of items bulleted that are not working for you in your opinion (not as fact).

3. Provide a break down of the list with examples and options for feedback.

4. Do all this without negative or slander comments

Then the Support\Devs will be more likely to listen, review and respond. Community will weigh in with productive feedback further as well to you and them as well furthering your cause. Please note this is just my opinion as well, but my thoughts when I see this post.

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> You should check the boat ride.

> Anyway events should't be about grind and tons of gold. They should be a fun fillers between LS releases and a way for people to take a break too.

> I don't see why everything in this game needs AP, gold and exotic/ascended/legendary items attached to it, to make it fun and "worth playing".

you are right it should be just about the fun. However that fun is highly subjective to the person deriving that fun from these activities.

Some people find reward fun while others find the actions of the activity fun.

However if it is only about the activity and that fun then it better be good and fun. This stuff they turn out is no better than other content that has better reward so ... what can you say?

So the same as every other festival? At least this one has impact on the market by giving us a use for tons of materials that would otherwise rot in the storage! And the mystic coin per day is great. Not to mention the super rare items you can potentially get.

I think it does what it's supposed to, be a fun little alternative for a little while and be a great sink.

> @"Malafaia.8903" said:

> Why do people keep pretending that grinding/ gold/ rewards isn't inherent to mmo's?

> I obviously play the game because i like the content (specially the combat on GW2), but the rewards is just a big threadmill to keep you playing, right?

For me MMORPGs are about the people. I've wasted many hours both in UO and RO just sitting around cities or random dungeons and talking to guild members.

Sadly all my friends left GW so I'm currently playing it as a single player game (daily quest and LS content).

If rewards are the only thing that keep you playing, why don't you play something like cookie clicker or the likes? Diablo too?

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > You should check the boat ride.

> > Anyway events should't be about grind and tons of gold. They should be a fun fillers between LS releases and a way for people to take a break too.

> > I don't see why everything in this game needs AP, gold and exotic/ascended/legendary items attached to it, to make it fun and "worth playing".

>

> you are right it should be just about the fun. However that fun is highly subjective to the person deriving that fun from these activities.

>

> Some people find reward fun while others find the actions of the activity fun.

>

> However if it is only about the activity and that fun then it better be good and fun. This stuff they turn out is no better than other content that has better reward so ... what can you say?

I agree it's all highly subjective. Some people find the event fun, some don't. So if you don't find it fun or rewarding, there is always Istan and SW farm.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> So the same as every other festival? At least this one has impact on the market by giving us a use for tons of materials that would otherwise rot in the storage! And the mystic coin per day is great. Not to mention the super rare items you can potentially get.

>

> I think it does what it's supposed to, be a fun little alternative for a little while and be a great sink.

What are these super rare items you speak of... :)

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > So the same as every other festival? At least this one has impact on the market by giving us a use for tons of materials that would otherwise rot in the storage! And the mystic coin per day is great. Not to mention the super rare items you can potentially get.

> >

> > I think it does what it's supposed to, be a fun little alternative for a little while and be a great sink.

>

> What are these super rare items you speak of... :)

The stuff outside of quartz and festival tokens that _you could get but never will_

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > @"Malafaia.8903" said:

> > Why do people keep pretending that grinding/ gold/ rewards isn't inherent to mmo's?

> > I obviously play the game because i like the content (specially the combat on GW2), but the rewards is just a big threadmill to keep you playing, right?

>

> For me MMORPGs are about the people. I've wasted many hours both in UO and RO just sitting around cities or random dungeons and talking to guild members.

> Sadly all my friends left GW so I'm currently playing it as a single player game (daily quest and LS content).

>

> If rewards are the only thing that keep you playing, why don't you play something like cookie clicker or the likes? Diablo too?

If you're just sitting around cities and talking to people, isn't it better to have irl interactions?