IDEA - Animation UPDATE!

First of all, hello, I will present myself by first of all saying im not the most veteran player out there ( like literally, not even close... ) But, as I've been playing the game I have noticed how poor the animations look over time, those (The animations) Have not been updated in YEARS! And I do think it's time to make a change, I wanted to start this forum post because I really dislike some animations on multiple characters, to the point that I even get pissed of.

**I would like players to make a list of animations that look old and or should maybe get an animation revamp.**

My most clear example are humans ( specially women ) and Norn, both races have such weird running animations.

Please have in mind that im not a fluid English speaker/writer, so do not get stressed if something is missplaced or wrongly typed in. ^_^

I would love if the community participated in promoting this IDEA and getting devs to know about this.

And as I said on the first part, I would love if people mentioned which animations they dont like and/or think should me revamped/updated. ^^

Have a good one.

> @"Kanok.3027" said:

> I'd rather they work on fixing bugs and balance than devote time to fixing "immersion" issues. Animations seem fine to me. At this point, as a little over 1 year vet, I prefer they spent their time on content and bugs.

No doubt, but actually, those kind of animations do not take as much time, since with some tweaks they can look more "natural" less "weird" that's all my opinion.

Also you have to take in mind that there's an specific team for that ( the animations team ) and I wouldnt Imagine that taking longer that a couple of days.

As you can imagine, this topic has been brought up too many times... Beating a dead horse for years now and I am convinced that you will find almost nobody that prefers new animations over new content and bug fixes, Anet just prefers to not touch any of the "foundation" that they have built which is unstable in the way that they treat it, which includes all of the old code, including the animations I presume.

With years passing by, the amount of content released by Anet went slower and slower, and for now it's just a matter of time before you will see something new, praying that you will love it.

People still receive 10 fps in crowded places with modern gen hardware and yet it's unfixed.

At this point it's just better to focus on the good things instead of whining on the bad things cuz they will always exist.

May I interest you in switching a race maybe?, Some races feel better and some races feel worse in the eye of each player, I personally prefer sylavri due to their glow in the dark effect and voice etc..

... So I hope I gave you somewhat of a better perspective of the situation.

> @"Nopesarenotforme.5190" said:

> As you can imagine, this topic has been brought up too many times... Beating a dead horse for years now and I am convinced that you will find almost nobody that prefers new animations over new content and bug fixes, Anet just prefers to not touch any of the "foundation" that they have built which is unstable in the way that they treat it, which includes all of the old code, including the animations I presume.

>

> With years passing by, the amount of content released by Anet went slower and slower, and for now it's just a matter of time before you will see something new, praying that you will love it.

>

> People still receive 10 fps in crowded places with modern gen hardware and yet it's unfixed.

>

> At this point it's just better to focus on the good things instead of whining on the bad things cuz they will always exist.

>

> May I interest you in switching a race maybe?, Some races feel better and some races feel worse in the eye of each player, I personally prefer sylavri due to their glow in the dark effect and voice etc..

>

> ... So I hope I gave you somewhat of a better perspective of the situation.

I do and I have done it several times, but animations just look woofy snoofy retardorini ^__^ , Im not saying that they have to do it RIGHT NOW! Im just saying that they could work on it, yeah I mean new content is always good and Ok if it's not crap content or perhaps something like naruto, ( to fill the need ).

They maybe could just work on it and add it in a new content patch, maybe next expansion if theres one, like World Of Warcraft Revamped textures on old places and so.

I would just like to see that they care of updating what starts to get older and older.

As an actual animator I have to say this feedback is far too vague to go on. "It's weird" isn't specific enough. The running animations you mentioned look fine to me. They are fluid and show the weight of the character. There are transitional animations to give the feeling of inertia when stopping and going. Any improvements would be incredibly pedantic.

If you want to improve animations, maybe focus on some of the attack animation blending for revenant and other elite specs. Especially anyone that uses a melee staff. Some of the animations for those are jerky and have little or no transition. In most cases the problems with animations have more to do with blending between different states, rather than each individual animation.

As of today and what

> @"Xenon.4537" said:

> As an actual animator I have to say this feedback is far too vague to go on. "It's weird" isn't specific enough. The running animations you mentioned look fine to me. They are fluid and show the weight of the character. There are transitional animations to give the feeling of inertia when stopping and going. Any improvements would be incredibly pedantic.

>

> If you want to improve animations, maybe focus on some of the attack animation blending for revenant and other elite specs. Especially anyone that uses a melee staff. Some of the animations for those are jerky and have little or no transition. In most cases the problems with animations have more to do with blending between different states, rather than each individual animation.

Im less concerned about human animations, because the explanation that he gave me was more than enough, even so, I WOULD LOVE if players posted things like Sorudo did. ^^

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> the toy animation for floating toys are horribly done, it's just a static stand.

> some movement would be welcome, it would also be nice if the character doesn't lean forwards floating stationary but has a straight up animation as if it's an ascended creature.

> ![](http://i.imgur.com/Y6ZCreP.jpg "")

>

> @"Pezguan.6580" said:

> > @"Kanok.3027" said:

> > I'd rather they work on fixing bugs and balance than devote time to fixing "immersion" issues. Animations seem fine to me. At this point, as a little over 1 year vet, I prefer they spent their time on content and bugs.

>

> No doubt, but actually, those kind of animations do not take as much time, since with some tweaks they can look more "natural" less "weird" that's all my opinion.

> Also you have to take in mind that there's an specific team for that ( the animations team ) and I wouldnt Imagine that taking longer that a couple of days.

I am not an animator or motion designer, but "those kinds of animations do not take as much time" strikes me as a bit naive. Also, the generalization of how they look "weird" does not really help. Which ones? On which races/classes?

I'm still unclear about this thread. In the original post you mentioned "humans (especially women) and norn" but then you say you aren't concerned with human animations? I'm confused now.

I'm also unsure what @"sorudo.9054" is talking about? Toy animations? Do you mean these? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toy If so, those all reuse existing animations such as greatsword, scepter, and hammer animations. I'm completely lost what you mean by "ascended creature" animation? Which animation is "static stand"? What does that even mean?

> @"Xenon.4537" said:

> I'm still unclear about this thread. In the original post you mentioned "humans (especially women) and norn" but then you say you aren't concerned with human animations? I'm confused now.

>

> I'm also unsure what @"sorudo.9054" is talking about? Toy animations? Do you mean these? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toy If so, those all reuse existing animations such as greatsword, scepter, and hammer animations. I'm completely lost what you mean by "ascended creature" animation? Which animation is "static stand"? What does that even mean?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Travel

this kind of toy, i just forgot how they are seen.

one of my characters uses the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Electromagnetic_Ascender and it looks horrible, she is supposed to be like a protoss but this toy is made so amateurish that i could do better and last i animated anything was 10 years+ ago.