Anyone else feel the human personal story is kind of meh ...

Kovac.4372

Is there any particular reason for that?

All the racial stories serve the same purpose of introducing you to the race, a bit of their lore and history and their racial enemy. It's a bit of a guess because I didn't feel the same way but I suspect it might be because the humans are more familiar, even to new players. Their culture is pretty much a generic medieval fantasy setting, and their racial enemies ~~are~~ _appear to be_ just bandits. (There's more to it, but you don't get much more than a hint of that during the story.) Whereas the others are more likely to seem strange and exciting.

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > Well humans as a race are accurately summed up as _meh_ so it seems about right.

>

> You beat me to it. :)

Hehehe :kissing_wink:

Seriously though, Anet at least tried to make their humans a bit more interesting than your average fantasy humans (with them actually being friggin space aliens and stuff) but sadly that never really translates into how they are represented in-game.

They just appear to be boring, generic fantasy humans for the most part. That just can’t compete with the more fanciful and original races like Charr and Asura.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Their culture is pretty much a generic medieval fantasy setting, and their racial enemies ~~are~~ _appear to be_ just bandits. (There's more to it, but you don't get much more than a hint of that during the story.) Whereas the others are more likely to seem strange and exciting.

This might be it.

There's no real unique situation humans find themselves in ...

Charr are going through an industrial revolution of sorts, and their history has shaped them to be warlike.

Norn are these spiritual hunters and warriors modeled much after norsemen. There is a clear purpose in their lives.

Asura are full-tech, sci-fi knowledge seekers, with a hint of imperialism due to their supremacist worldview.

Sylvari are these awakened plant-humanoids, attuned to nature and magic like no other race.

And humans are like ... nothing ... just, a fortified town, a generic European medieval kingdom ... no specific cultural flavor or goal the species strives for. I think the best way to describe them is bland and generic.

Which is probably why their personal story also feels underwhelming.

I think the biggest thing missing from human lore is a collective crisis of faith. The human hallmark in GW2 has been their faith in their gods, and now with Balthazar dead and the rest of the gods left Tyria there should be a lot of soul seeking going on about what the cultural identity is now. Other than a few dialogs post PoF, we really haven't seem much development here yet. Hopefully there can be some development in this area to help humans out of the generic feel.

The 3 initial stories were rather generic, so was the the missing sister storyline. But I must say I liked both the circus and the missing parents stories, the first because it's probably the best one and the other because it fits with GW1 lore. I like to think that's the story of the GW1 descendants or something.

> @"Ben K.6238" said:

> I'm finding ESO to be leaps and bounds better in writing race-appropriate dialogue.

That't true. I love the way Khajiit talk, sounds like my accent, lol. It's all nice and fun until I actually have to kill something... Then the snoozefest combat and awkward animations make me cringe.