Bring Back the old Gift of Battle

Golemancer.6215

> @joneirikb.7506 said:

> > @Justine.6351 said:

> > You know, I give up...

> >

> > Put the Gift of Battle on some PvE merchant and the Gift of Insights on some WvW merchant and call it a day.

>

> To continue on this line of thought. Let us say we restore the merchant with the Gift of Battle for 500 badges. And then also make a merchant in WvW that you can spend (ex) 5000 badges to instantly get 100% map completion in pve. You know, to be fair, and let WvW players actually get around the actual time tedious task.

>

> How much will this de-value legendaries ? How much less desirable will they be ? How much less exclusive etc ? The legendaries are 90% vanity items, to show off to show how awesome you are etc. If you take that away from a Legendary, what is it really ?

>

> On the other hand, for the 10% that actually prefers them for the utility aspect (stat swap!, lets just transmog away that ugly sparkle skin and never use it ever again!), it would be a 100% pure gain however.

To be honest, I wouldn't be the least bit offended. I don't derive my ego from pixels, so my legendaries can't be devalued.

And I fully support alternate methods of world completion for WvW folks. If WvW had a way to turn in proofs or badges for POI/Vista/Waypoint credit, I'd be happy for the players.

This salty notion that there must be mutual suffering is just silly. Let people do what they enjoy, give them alternate methods to bypass the worst grinds (I go to WvW for Mystic Clovers too!), and stop shoving people into game modes that will just bring everyone else down.

> @Shmanka.4628 said:

> Gift of Battle is harder to obtain for people on smaller servers. It's easy if you are in a great guild and great server. The reward track is not the best place for this item.

So, getting to tier 6 participation is too hard?

That might be the case, but capping camps, killing dolyaks, capping sentries can all be done on solo classes. All of which give 5-10 minutes towards the pip timers and bring you to tier 6 fairly quickly. And that is playing on a T-1 server, avoiding blobs.

In the desert you also get shrines which give decent points towards the WvW tracks.

> @Shmanka.4628 said:

> Gift of Battle is harder to obtain for people on smaller servers. It's easy if you are in a great guild and great server. The reward track is not the best place for this item.

Earning and maintaining 500 badges was harder for people on smaller servers back when genuine small servers existed. Breaking into SMC or Green garri for map completion when that was apart of GOE was harder for people on smaller servers.

There are numerous things from yesteryear that were harder for people on smaller servers and required somewhat of a force to accomplish, but personal reward tracks are not and never were one of them.

> @HazyDaisy.4107 said:

> > @Shmanka.4628 said:

> > Gift of Battle is harder to obtain for people on smaller servers. It's easy if you are in a great guild and great server. The reward track is not the best place for this item.

>

> Earning and maintaining 500 badges was harder for people on smaller servers back when genuine small servers existed. Breaking into SMC or Green garri for map completion when that was apart of GOE was harder for people on smaller servers.

>

> There are numerous things from yesteryear that were harder for people on smaller servers and required somewhat of a force to accomplish, but personal reward tracks are not and never were one of them.

To add on, with the smaller servers being stapled onto larger ones (can confirm, on SoR...), there really isn't a "small server" anymore. It's usually 75/25 in my favor of finding a commander to follow around for a few minutes, and if it goes well, I get participation and loot. If it goes badly, I wait for the inevitable teleport back to base camp/castle and follow again. It's not a particularly thrilling cadence, and I'd still rather buy someone else's GoB for gold, but I won't claim that doing a smattering of WvW is impossible just because my server is a has-been. :p

> @Golemancer.6215 said:

> > @hmsgoddess.3869 said:

> > Why? gift of Battle is super easy to get, using the badges of honor from the old days is bad. Guilds need those for guild siege and there are also a number of other things to spend those on. I like the new way of earning the gift of battle.

>

> "Super easy" would be purchasing it outright for tokens. Go farm an item for 6 hours of your time, then tell me if it was "super easy" to get.

> Consistency is the point.

6 hours? I think you are over stating it. Gift of Battle in WvW is super easy to get. I haven't tried in the EOTM maps but I would imagine it would super easy there too (although that area may have changed since pips intro) Make sure you are using all the boots to maximize your returns. Otherwise, I am unsure what you're doing wrong.

> @hmsgoddess.3869 said:

>I haven't tried in the EOTM maps but I would imagine it would super easy there too (although that area may have changed since pips intro) Make sure you are using all the boosts to maximize your returns. Otherwise, I am unsure what you're doing wrong.

I stick with the borderlands since pips came into play. The extra chests help push track progression.

Honestly, the gift of battle reward track is the only thing that from time to time can still attract new players to the wvw format. I play wvw alot, but you don't see me complaining I need map completion and stuff like that in order to make my legendary weapons. You just roll with it. It takes half a day to get the reward track done, or you could do the simple dailies once a day, save up the rank potions and use those when you need them.....

The real scourge of legendary weapon making are the people who have stocked up so much gold they craft a legendary every other day and drive up the price for mystic coins, making it harder for casual players to make legendaries. I mean 1.5g for 1 mystic token seems a bit excessive. Doing Stuff like grinding for a Gift of battle is the kind of thing that keeps them in check, think what would happen if they could buy that aswell ,...

> @OriOri.8724 said:

> > @Purgatori.3645 said:

> > 2 evenings in WVW to get gift of battle is a far cry from a die hard WVW'er who has to do all of Tyria to obtain Gift of Exploration ....

> >

> > Perspective ....

> >

> >

>

> Devil's advocate. You always had to do world completion in order to make a legendary. But for over 4 years in this game you only had to acquire 500 badge of honors to purchase GoB. Its not like GoE was suddenly forced on you guys after 4+ years of playing the game, but that is exactly what happened with GoB.

People could avoid playing WvW and get the Gift for a bit less than 3 years, not 4+. Badges in achievement chests was put in with the Bazaar of Four Winds release, July 9, 2013. The GoB reward track was put in (and badge vendor removed) on April 19, 2016. From launch to July, 2013, one had to WvW to get those badges. Iirc, 500 badges in 6-9 hours of WvW play was unlikely, especially on a weak server.