Next expansion: PvP

I think gw2 needs a pvp focused expansion like factions was for gw1 to promote other game modes than pve. The expansion could include things like different modes, new build interface, new amulets, sigils and runes, more wvw and pvp maps, mode specific balance systems etc. Currently 95% of the time is spent to the gem store and pve (living world/expansion) and usually the only pve patches that change pvp/wvw causes more harm than good because of the lack of support for other modes than pve (no pvp/wvw balance).

Well maybe it's the PvE and gemstore that make the most money for ArenaNet. Why would they then want to invest big time into a game mode that won't net them much revenue?

Don't get me wrong. I liked what they did with Factions in GW1. Especially where they mixed PvP with PvE in places like the Jade Quarry. That was particularly fun. Just not sure it's worth for them investing into too much.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> Well maybe it's the PvE and gemstore that make the most money for ArenaNet. Why would they then want to invest big time into a game mode that won't net them much revenue?

That's true. Maybe the expand the game, make it better and get more people to play it phase is long gone and they are just trying to hold on to the people they have in the game already on pve side because it's the most popular game mode.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> PvP doesn't sell.

> That's just the nature of the beast especially when it comes to RPG's.

>

It could sell and it did sell just before the pro league stuff but for some reason somehow the company focus wasn't there and it flopped hard and basically killed the pvp.

> @"The Ace.9105" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > PvP doesn't sell.

> > That's just the nature of the beast especially when it comes to RPG's.

> >

>

> It could sell and it did sell just before the pro league stuff but for some reason somehow the company focus wasn't there and it flopped hard and basically killed the pvp.

PvP was never the selling point of GW2 even before it's attempt at eSports. Back then the community was about as small as the speed running dungeon crowd.

Even during it's eSports stint it was a flop, post eSports has been nothing more than trying to grow the community by adding rewards which has yeilded mediocre results at best and even now showcases that people will not play a mode that's so improperly maintained just for a few gold and transmute charges.

PvP needs help, but an expansion wont help it. What it needs is a director who understands that balance needs to be done way more frequently than it is, one who understands the differences between "eSports/Competetive" and "Solo Queue/Casual". It also needs more diversity, yes they are working on a 2v2/3v3 arena but that wont solve the problem of the gameplay being reliant on Conquest. There's so much more to PvP than capture and hold a node and that mode inherintely devalues certain playstyles and builds.

All of these things can be solved without expansions though and doing so will prove to be more of a boon for PvP than any expansion ever will.

If you want good PVP then drop MMORPGs. Even in WoW PVP is struggling compared to PVE. All producers know that money is in PVE. I think that sooner or later there won't be any PVP in MMORPGs, just PVE. Let's assume that there are ~15 000 players focused on PVP in GW2 - it is nothing compared to those focused on PVE.

I seem to remember Anet have previously said they want PvP to be accessible to everyone. That's why the only restrictions on free accounts doing sPvP stop them talking in the map, and why changes to PvP and WvW are always base game updates rather than included in the expansions. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt suddenly charging for new PvP modes after years of making it free would be popular with the people who play that mode.

A purely PvP focused expansion would be good for me however, I could skip it and save the money without missing anything I'm ever going to play. I suspect a lot of primarily/exclusively PvE player would think the same, and then it becomes even harder to get new people into PvP because now there's a financial barrier on top of whatever is currently stopping them.

> @"hash.6287" said:

> If you want good PVP then drop MMORPGs. Even in WoW PVP is struggling compared to PVE. All producers know that money is in PVE. I think that sooner or later there won't be any PVP in MMORPGs, just PVE. Let's assume that there are ~15 000 players focused on PVP in GW2 - it is nothing compared to those focused on PVE.

Do you have any data to back that up? If it's just a guess then what's stopping someone who likes PvP from saying lets assume there's 5 million active PvPers - almost half the total registered accounts - and it could be a huge market for Anet if they stopped ignoring it. I doubt that's true but without actual data both assumptions appear equally valid, but totally contradictory.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > @"The Ace.9105" said:

> > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > PvP doesn't sell.

> > > That's just the nature of the beast especially when it comes to RPG's.

> > >

> >

> > It could sell and it did sell just before the pro league stuff but for some reason somehow the company focus wasn't there and it flopped hard and basically killed the pvp.

>

> PvP was never the selling point of GW2 even before it's attempt at eSports. Back then the community was about as small as the speed running dungeon crowd.

> Even during it's eSports stint it was a flop, post eSports has been nothing more than trying to grow the community by adding rewards which has yeilded mediocre results at best and even now showcases that people will not play a mode that's so improperly maintained just for a few gold and transmute charges.

>

> PvP needs help, but an expansion wont help it. What it needs is a director who understands that balance needs to be done way more frequently than it is, one who understands the differences between "eSports/Competetive" and "Solo Queue/Casual". It also needs more diversity, yes they are working on a 2v2/3v3 arena but that wont solve the problem of the gameplay being reliant on Conquest. There's so much more to PvP than capture and hold a node and that mode inherintely devalues certain playstyles and builds.

>

> All of these things can be solved without expansions though and doing so will prove to be more of a boon for PvP than any expansion ever will.

I was expecting the end of that speech involved some announcement of running for office.........

> @"The Ace.9105" said:

> I think gw2 needs a pvp focused expansion like factions was for gw1 to promote other game modes than pve. The expansion could include things like different modes, new build interface, new amulets, sigils and runes, more wvw and pvp maps, mode specific balance systems etc. Currently 95% of the time is spent to the gem store and pve (living world/expansion) and usually the only pve patches that change pvp/wvw causes more harm than good because of the lack of support for other modes than pve (no pvp/wvw balance).

Please estimate the ratio of potential buyers on a pvp-centric expansion against the potential buyers of a pve/story-centric one.

> @"The Ace.9105" said:

> I think gw2 needs a pvp focused expansion like factions was for gw1 to promote other game modes than pve.

I think that the PvP community is far, far smaller than the PvE community. Releasing a PvP focused expansion would not, in my opinion, interest the larger player base -- PvE'ers already don't want to be "forced" into PvP. This proposal would not generate the revenue that ANet would want/need for an expansion.

Again, my opinion.

I know that I wouldn't buy it.

/me shrugs