New Forum: 2000+ Hours of Gameplay and "Promoted to Recruit"

foogison.5067

I honestly don't think it matters. Forums in general are a place to discuss subjects amongst each other in a civil manner; rank/play time means nothing nor should it be tied to your in game accomplishments. Separate entities. I think it's just a trend having 'shinies' and rewards added to enhance user experience.

The only meaningful impact in having this trend in place builds a sort of reputation amongst those constructive and helpful community users.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Luna.1598 said:

> > @meeflak.9714 said:

> > > @TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:

> > > I'm inclined to believe that forum ranks shouldn't even exist. It's incredibly kitten, especially since this certainly isn't stackoverflow.

> > >

> > > Wow, that moment when the most PG word is censored by the forums.

> > >

> > > Man, I forgot how idiotic the forum censors were.

> > >

> > > OH OH! And idiotic gets through. Wow, clap and a half to this censor.

> >

> > I must know the word

>

> I also am dying to know the word

Oh, have you not heard?

B-b-b-bird bird bird, the bird is the word!

Except on the forums, where kittens eat the bird.

Everyone started with a clean slate on the new forum - zero post count, recruit rank, no badges, no bans or warnings, nothing. I think it's a good idea to start everyone off on equal footing (except of course for opinions people may have formed about you, can't change that).

I can see how it could be interesting to see people's hours played or other game stats, but I don't think it would be all that helpful for showing what people know. I've been playing since the first public beta, have over 4,000 hours in-game and multiple level 80's but sometimes I see a topic from someone who has just got their first level 80 asking for help, I go in expecting to know the answer but they want to know about the inner workings of stats and what they've already learned is so far over my head I don't even know where to begin.

Likewise a high post count or even lots of badges/points and thumbs up or helpful counts doesn't mean anything really. If you want people on the forum to respect you the best thing you can do is aim to regularly post useful or interesting replies. Not necessarily ones agreeing with the OP or Anet or whatever, because being the echo in the echo chamber isn't useful or interesting, but contributing to the discussion. When you get to the end of a topic and go to type your reply think about what you're actually adding to the conversation - is there a misconception you can correct, or extra information you can add? Do you have a different perspective which hasn't been included yet? Or would you just be replying for the sake of adding that one extra point to your post count?

In the long run being recognised as someone who usually posts relevant and/or interesting comments will count for far, far more than a number hidden on your profile or a little star next to your name.

I think that people that are active on the forums will get their rank fast enough. It's only fair that we all start at recruit.. Playing the game since bw1 or having 20k achievement points doesn't really prove that you answer questions helpfully or if you are rude or not when talking to new players.

From what I have noticed on the new forums, and the old, is that the ones who have played and been active on the forums long enough often are the ones getting salty about changes and whining about that the game isn't the same as 2012. Maybe that's just me who have noticing this, can't speak for everyone :)

> @Flatley.1620 said:

> Hmm. Perhaps don't tie your **rank** here to your in game character but at least have, say, _something_ that recognises your account age and or playtime. No priveleges perhaps, but just a title.

>

> See? Now even _I'm_ getting into the spirit of competetive forum activity. What a hypocrite! Lol.

If i could edit my original post, it would say something along these lines.