I don't like how Anet is spending their resources.

kappa.2036

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > I say so, because this games single player content is 1/10th as good as a single player RPG or even a nintendo game like mario. I play this game for MMO content, as do the vast majority.

>

> Ah, so you are that supreme gaming authority, it all makes sense now. And you claim Anet is making a mistake by focusing on LS content all these years because they are ignoring you and your game preferences that also happen to be in the vast majority. Do you have a source showing that's what most of the players want? And if that's the case are Anet insane for not appealing to the vast majority all these years and making money from it? They have all the metrics that you don't after all.

Yeah, people who want to play single player story content are playing single player games on their console or other PC games that aren't trash at being single player games.

This is a MMO, first and foremost.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > > I say so, because this games single player content is 1/10th as good as a single player RPG or even a nintendo game like mario. I play this game for MMO content, as do the vast majority.

> >

> > Ah, so you are that supreme gaming authority, it all makes sense now. And you claim Anet is making a mistake by focusing on LS content all these years because they are ignoring you and your game preferences that also happen to be in the vast majority. Do you have a source showing that's what most of the players want? And if that's the case are Anet insane for not appealing to the vast majority all these years and making money from it? They have all the metrics that you don't after all.

>

> Yeah, people who want to play single player story content are playing single player games on their console or other PC games that aren't trash at being single player games.

>

> This is a MMO, first and foremost.

Which makes most of its money from cosmetics and returning players as well as casual players (who most often return for new living world content). Mostly via the gem store in connection with the story and living world.

Your point? I hope you are not actually suggesting Arenanet move away from the things which make them the most money? That would be terrible advice.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > > I say so, because this games single player content is 1/10th as good as a single player RPG or even a nintendo game like mario. I play this game for MMO content, as do the vast majority.

> >

> > Ah, so you are that supreme gaming authority, it all makes sense now. And you claim Anet is making a mistake by focusing on LS content all these years because they are ignoring you and your game preferences that also happen to be in the vast majority. Do you have a source showing that's what most of the players want? And if that's the case are Anet insane for not appealing to the vast majority all these years and making money from it? They have all the metrics that you don't after all.

>

> Yeah, people who want to play single player story content are playing single player games on their console or other PC games that aren't trash at being single player games.

>

Lisa sighs a big sigh...I really, really did not want to add my two cents to this thread...but..Shiyo...MMO stands for..well... I went to the dictionary for a good definition.

MMO

noun

an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously.

"a well-made fantasy MMO"

There. MMO means a very large amount of people can play at the same time. You tell us solo playing type of people to go play some single player game ...Single player games do not have other people to interact with. Single player games do not have updates, or expansions, or lively forums.

Lisa-backing out of this thread before I get in trouble.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> I say so, because this games single player content is 1/10th as good as a single player RPG or even a nintendo game like mario. I play this game for MMO content, as do the vast majority.

I reread this and had to dive back into the fray. So many things I want to say, but all I will say, is, Anet alone knows what the vast majority is.

Lisa.

> @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > > > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > > > I say so, because this games single player content is 1/10th as good as a single player RPG or even a nintendo game like mario. I play this game for MMO content, as do the vast majority.

> > >

> > > Ah, so you are that supreme gaming authority, it all makes sense now. And you claim Anet is making a mistake by focusing on LS content all these years because they are ignoring you and your game preferences that also happen to be in the vast majority. Do you have a source showing that's what most of the players want? And if that's the case are Anet insane for not appealing to the vast majority all these years and making money from it? They have all the metrics that you don't after all.

> >

> > Yeah, people who want to play single player story content are playing single player games on their console or other PC games that aren't trash at being single player games.

> >

> > This is a MMO, first and foremost.

>

> Lisa sighs a big sigh...I really, really did not want to add my two cents to this thread...but..Shiyo...MMO stands for..well... I went to the dictionary for a good definition.

>

> MMO

> noun

> an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously.

> "a well-made fantasy MMO"

>

> There. MMO means a very large amount of people can play at the same time. You tell us solo playing type of people to go play some single player game ...Single player games do not have other people to interact with. Single player games do not have updates, or expansions, or lively forums.

>

> Lisa-backing out of this thread before I get in trouble.

Single player games don't have updates, expansions, or lively forums/communities?

*Laughs in Witcher 3*

*Laughs in Dark Souls*

*Laughs in friggin Enter the Gungeon*

I don't think the Living Story should be removed, but let's not deride single player games.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> I say so, because this games single player content is 1/10th as good as a single player RPG or even a nintendo game like mario. I play this game for MMO content, as do the vast majority.

Vast majority? Please cite your source for this.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

>

I am over 50 years old and have never owned a console. My very small group of close friends, with whom I play GW2, are of the same age and also do not own consoles. We enjoy GW2 for the single-player story content that we can do solo or with each other. We only set foot in WvW (your "MMO content" I believe?) for the dailies because we don't care for that environment.

Anet has determined how they want to produce their MMO and it includes single player story content. They have their own statistics and marketing people who know a lot more about this than you, or me, or anyone else on the forum. I'm pretty sure that they will continue to produce content that earns enough profit to satisfy their shareholders.

There is a simple rule that applies to any game. No content can be developped as quick as it is played. So there is always a need to fill the gap. To this I agree. However, I disagree that Arenanet is making wrong priorities. They develop not only to suit you as an individual, but the whole playerbase. This includes many players with different interests, attitudes and other diversities then you.

The first thing you have to ask is if Arenanet needs to cater everyone. Many people are very content in playing the new content and then leaving their account for a few months untill more content surfaces. Others like to do the story with all of their 50 characterslots. Then there are those who want all of the legendary weapons.

This list goes on and on and will never be conclusive. My point is that everyone fills the gap in their own way, it is up to you, the player how do so. Feeling entitled to recieve more attention over another type of player is rather selfish

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

>

> The first thing you have to ask is if Arenanet needs to cater everyone.

Yes they do, if they want to keep their fireworks stand open.

Players: "I see you got them Snakes and Sparklers (PvE), but... where's the good stuff (WvW/PvP) man?"

Arenanet: "Good stuff? This is the good stuff, Snakes and Sparklers (PvE)."

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

>

> >

> > The first thing you have to ask is if Arenanet needs to cater everyone.

>

> Yes they do, if they want to keep their fireworks stand open.

>

> Players: "I see you got them Snakes and Sparklers (PvE), but... where's the good stuff (WvW/PvP) man?"

>

> Arenanet: "Good stuff? This is the good stuff, Snakes and Sparklers (PvE)."

So you are saying you walk into a petshop anex fireworks store and expect them to concentrate more on their supply of batteries, just because they sell it as an extra service?? If they run a petshop, they should concentrate on selling pets. If they run a fireworks store, they should concentrate on selling sparkles and other fireworks., no matter what else they sell

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

>

> Yes they do, if they want to keep their fireworks stand open.

>

> Players: "I see you got them Snakes and Sparklers (PvE), but... where's the good stuff (WvW/PvP) man?"

>

> Arenanet: "Good stuff? This is the good stuff, Snakes and Sparklers (PvE)."

This is highly subjective. Those who don't like WvW or PvP may consider those modes to be the worthless ones and would like Anet to spend more effort and resources on PvE (aka "the good stuff").

So, yeah -- Anet has an arduous task of trying to cater to all preferred play styles.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

>

> > So, yeah -- Anet has an arduous task of trying to cater to all preferred play styles.

>

> When you try to cater to everyone, you end up catering to no one.

>

I won't argue there. However, Anet has the true statistics so I won't necessarily argue with where they put their resources.

Many ppl muddle up the meaning of MMO.

All MMO means is the game has many players in it .

It does NOT define what the many players are doing or are supposed to be doing in order to play the game , as playing the game is undefined.

All the players could be doing solo game play and its still a MMO.

MMO does NOT mean all the content has to be done in groups.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> Many ppl muddle up the meaning of MMO.

> All MMO means is the game has many players in it .

> It does NOT define what the many players are doing or are supposed to be doing in order to play the game , as playing the game is undefined.

> All the players could be doing solo game play and its still a MMO.

> MMO does NOT mean all the content has to be done in groups.

>

This is what developers have brainwashed you to believe.

Developers actually couldn't care less what you think MMO means. All they want to do is make a good game.

"When you try to cater to everyone, you end up catering to no one" is only true if you take it too far. Conversely, if you only try to cater to one specific type of player at the expense of everyone else, you end up with a very niche game.

Live game development is a bit of a balancing act, where the focus is to make the game entertaining for as many people as possible without losing the players you've already got. That requires a decent amount of content to suit all of the main types of players, without spending so much time on one type that the rest of them start getting bored.

For that reason, a lot of developers do actually profile what kinds of players they've got, in order to target upcoming content more effectively.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> When you try to cater to everyone, you end up catering to no one.

And that's exactly what Anet is doing, they are not catering equally to everyone. The very reason players like OP and you are complaining is that they are not catering specifically to **you**.

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > Many ppl muddle up the meaning of MMO.

> > All MMO means is the game has many players in it .

> > It does NOT define what the many players are doing or are supposed to be doing in order to play the game , as playing the game is undefined.

> > All the players could be doing solo game play and its still a MMO.

> > MMO does NOT mean all the content has to be done in groups.

> >

>

> This is what developers have brainwashed you to believe.

I've been playing MMOrpgs since UO, when only a handful of nerds had even heard of the term. The definition above is the correct one and I don't need any dev to tell me so. No amount of tin-foil forum posts will ever change facts.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> Many ppl muddle up the meaning of MMO.

> All MMO means is the game has many players in it .

> It does NOT define what the many players are doing or are supposed to be doing in order to play the game , as playing the game is undefined.

> All the players could be doing solo game play and its still a MMO.

> MMO does NOT mean all the content has to be done in groups.

>

> @"Shiyo.3578" said:

>

> This is what developers have brainwashed you to believe.

>

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> I've been playing MMOrpgs since UO, when only a handful of nerds had even heard of the term. The definition above is the correct one and I don't need any dev to tell me so. No amount of tin-foil forum posts will ever change facts.

Also, if developers want players to believe that all "MMO" means is that the game has many players in it, then it stands to reason that that is how they would be designing their games.