Profession, Elite-spec, Skill, & Trait Reworks?

One of the devs at some point said that future reworks are on the board but also said as for when they could come... well he obviously couldn't give an answer because he likely didn't know himself and thats understandable.

My questions are...

**1:**

If the teams are merged now and one of the pros is more communication so that things get balanced without totally killing one part of the game or another for 3 months or more does this also mean the potential for reworks where they are needed will be much higher or achieved sooner? (be it on a profession form the ground up ie mesmer or simply for an elite spec ie deadeye)

I wont point out any specific professions here to avoid conflict of who should get what first but there is no denying that quite a few professions or especs in general could use some fine tuning or out right reworks to bring them more into line with the way the game has changed over the years.

**2:**

Will the team consider looking at skills and traits that have not changed over the course of the games life? For example traits and skills that have not changed or had an update since 2014 that are practically unviable / getting by as the bare minimum for viable for any game mode (accord to devs i would guess sense the skills/ traits have not changed) but generally not accepted as viable by that particular professions community.

I for one would love to have more options opened up to me but I sit in the group of players that wants to play something that can be considered viable/optimal or at least semi optimal.

• ArenaNet Staff

1. We're going to make changes and push on re-works whenever possible. They do take more time by their very nature of having to account for a more moving pieces. Getting the extra feedback within the team means that for re-works we'll be more able to do things like have them split with different mode adjustments from the get-go and have more potential re-works based on the wants and needs of different player groups.

2. We're absolutely looking at the ones that haven't changed in ages and those are often the ones that have fallen furthest from the modern standards.

> @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> 2. We're absolutely looking at the ones that haven't changed in ages and those are often the ones that have fallen furthest **from the modern standards**.

cough cough power creep :) :) :)

I don't know how you could ever hope to balance core with the elite specs given how much the elite specs get "for free". (eg. core engineer vs Holosmith - holosmith gets a ridiculously good damage kit + sustain + cc and gives up basically nothing to get it)

.. unless the overperforming elite specs are due for some nerfs, which I'd be all for! .. but it sounds like you intend to buff the underperforming specs instead? I'm not sure how that will work when the overperforming elite specs can and do also benefit from core buffs.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"coro.3176" said:

> > @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> > 2. We're absolutely looking at the ones that haven't changed in ages and those are often the ones that have fallen furthest **from the modern standards**.

>

> cough cough power creep :) :) :)

>

> I don't know how you could ever hope to balance core with the elite specs given how much the elite specs get "for free". (eg. core engineer vs Holosmith - holosmith gets a ridiculously good damage kit + sustain + cc and gives up basically nothing to get it)

>

> .. unless the overperforming elite specs are due for some nerfs, which I'd be all for! .. but it sounds like you intend to buff the underperforming specs instead? I'm not sure how that will work when the overperforming elite specs can and do also benefit from core buffs.

This is a delicate and difficult line to tread. We try to avoid power creep as much as possible while still providing solid gameplay through updates to parts like animations, creating additional potential synergy and the like.

And yes, we'll nerf outliers.

> 2. We're absolutely looking at the ones that haven't changed in ages and those are often the ones that have fallen furthest from the modern standards.

Lovely news indeed. I can only think of the possibilities with my fingers tapping together rapidly. :+1:

I don't think it did @"kharmin.7683" ... at least I hope it didn't. I assume the two part reply @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" made was directed towards comments like mine.> @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> 1. We're going to make changes and push on re-works whenever possible. They do take more time by their very nature of having to account for a more moving pieces. Getting the extra feedback within the team means that for re-works we'll be more able to do things like have them split with different mode adjustments from the get-go and have more potential re-works based on the wants and needs of different player groups.

>

> 2. We're absolutely looking at the ones that haven't changed in ages and those are often the ones that have fallen furthest from the modern standards.

> 1. We're going to make changes and push on re-works whenever possible. They do take more time by their very nature of having to account for a more moving pieces. Getting the extra feedback within the team means that for re-works we'll be more able to do things like have them split with different mode adjustments from the get-go and have more potential re-works based on the wants and needs of different player groups.

>

Like an elite gadget for engineer.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Sai Locke.7193" said:

> > Does this mean there is hope that we will get a rework of the pets and the pet system on Ranger?

>

> Did this get ignored? Because this has been something that has needed work since forever.

There is hope for that, and many other re-works, but as someone who has wanted to do a re-work to a lot of pets and their system - this type of task has a lot more in the background to do than is expected. Like, a LOT. No, really.

That said, I'd like to keep this AFC to the Systems team, please. As per the [initial post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/651631 "initial post"). Getting into specifics on a per-profession basis isn't the purpose of this AFC.

The two things I would like to see addressed most are:

1) Automatic procs - Most notably for me are evasions and invulns sprinkled throughout various builds. In a game whose fundamental combat concept is active gameplay there are a shocking number of actions that require no player input to activate. This was best illustrated for me in WvW not to long ago where a single AFK warrior made an entire EBG blob pause because almost everyone froze to wait out the automatic endure pain. To reiterate I don't object to that level of survival - I object to that level of survival while the player does absolutely nothing.

2) Risk versus reward - there are far too many builds that fall into the low risk/high reward category - especially on the ranged side of things. The lock-on chain hits from range especially need better counter play. Stealth also needs to be reexamined.

Finally, I'm well aware the game isn't balanced for 1v1, but there are too many builds floating around where the only smart move one of the two players has is not to fight at all. That's fine when you know you're opponent is just better than you. It's not fine when you look at their build icon and immediately know they are going to have to be incompetent for you to have any chance to win.

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Sai Locke.7193" said:

> > > Does this mean there is hope that we will get a rework of the pets and the pet system on Ranger?

> >

> > Did this get ignored? Because this has been something that has needed work since forever.

>

> There is hope for that, and many other re-works, but as someone who has wanted to do a re-work to a lot of pets and their system - this type of task has a lot more in the background to do than is expected. Like, a LOT. No, really.

>

> That said, I'd like to keep this AFC to the Systems team, please. As per the [initial post](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/651631 "initial post"). Getting into specifics on a per-profession basis isn't the purpose of this AFC.

Thanks for the response. It's more than I recall having on this topic in a long time, even if it's out of the scope of the AFC.