Help!

Sorry to bother the community with a noob question, but I am truly new to GW2. I played GW1 for about a month this year (forgot I had it from steam) and fell in love with GW2. Benn playing GW2 for about a month now. HOT and POF enabled etc.

Anyhow:

I have a limited number of gems I purchased and am interested in the white and black wings that's going on with this discount sale (vouchers). But whats the difference from the backpack skin, and the backpack & glider combo? I'm trying to save gems for an outfit, (have around 2k to spend) but not sure if I should buy the combo or just the skin for the wings? I read somewhere that you talk to some scout to get the glider for the wings unlocked if you have the backpack, but I'm not sure that applies here.

Please help before I regret my purchase! Thank you ☺

> Gliding is a unique type of movement that allows characters to descend from one point to another. It is available exclusively through the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gliding

When youre gliding it replaces your backpack for the current glider skin you have. The glider & backpack combo contains both backpack skin + glider skin.

You unlock the ability of gliding in the first chapter of HoT I think.

Hope that explains. (Also you can preview glider skins on your Hero Panel -> Equipment tab -> Glider Skins)

> @"Reith X.7962" said:

> Thanks for the quick response! So in order for me to have the skin while standing and gliding, I need to purchase the combo pack. Or I can just purchase the glider, but it will not show when standing idle...only when attempting to glide.

Yes, if you want your wings to also function as a glider you need to purchase the combo pack.

> @"Reith X.7962" said:

> I'm trying to save gems for an outfit, (have around 2k to spend) but not sure if I should buy the combo or just the skin for the wings? I read somewhere that you talk to some scout to get the glider for the wings unlocked if you have the backpack, but I'm not sure that applies here.

Since you are new, I would recommend to spend these gems on something more functional in long term rather than cosmetic, like character slots, unlimited gathering tools, etc

my recommendation for anyone new with gems to spend are [Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Copper-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic "Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic") and [silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Silver-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic "Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic"), put them into [shared Inventory Slots](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shared_Inventory_Slot "Shared Inventory Slots") and you will thank yourself years down the track for gems wisely spent ;)

Actualy, this is an interesting case.

The wings existed back before HoT even, so back then you could only buy them as a backpiece.

When HoT launched, you could speak to some npc to get the wings glider for free (if you had the backpiece).

Now, idk if you can still do that (if you only buy the backpiece). Someone would have to test it out.

> @"Glider.5792" said:

> Actualy, this is an interesting case.

> The wings existed back before HoT even, so back then you could only buy them as a backpiece.

> When HoT launched, you could speak to some npc to get the wings glider for free (if you had the backpiece).

>

> Now, idk if you can still do that (if you only buy the backpiece). Someone would have to test it out.

I don't think you can buy the backpack on it's own any more - it always comes with the glider. You can get just the wings (or just the glider) from the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock, but that's the only way.

But the OP is specifically asking about the vouchers currently in the store, which are the only way to get the wings right now. There's 2 different vouchers - Black Lion Glider Voucher and Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher. The glider-only voucher is about 1/2 the price of the backpack & glider one, but if you buy it you can only choose gliders which do not have a corresponding back item (like the bubble or Geomancer gliders). All the various wings are only available with the Backpack and Glider voucher.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > Actualy, this is an interesting case.

> > The wings existed back before HoT even, so back then you could only buy them as a backpiece.

> > When HoT launched, you could speak to some npc to get the wings glider for free (if you had the backpiece).

> >

> > Now, idk if you can still do that (if you only buy the backpiece). Someone would have to test it out.

>

> I don't think you can buy the backpack on it's own any more - it always comes with the glider. You can get just the wings (or just the glider) from the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock, but that's the only way.

>

> But the OP is specifically asking about the vouchers currently in the store, which are the only way to get the wings right now. There's 2 different vouchers - Black Lion Glider Voucher and Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher. The glider-only voucher is about 1/2 the price of the backpack & glider one, but if you buy it you can only choose gliders which do not have a corresponding back item (like the bubble or Geomancer gliders). All the various wings are only available with the Backpack and Glider voucher.

Oh right. For some reason i was thinking that there is a way to get just the backpiece (facepalm). Its the other way around, either glider alone or glider + backpiece.