Being Able to use any head skin on Outfits

Wouldnt it Be Great to Be able to use any Headgear on your outfits instead of Only using the headgear the outfit comes with or turning it off ? i do love the sunglasses but would also love to wear a hat with them too. i think hat skins should have there own slot separate from things like glasses/ goggles/outfits and so on . i dont want to have to choose between them id like to use them together. i hope Anet Can come up with an idea to make this happen <3

> @"Arizan.1073" said:

> Wouldnt it Be Great to Be able to use any Headgear on your outfits instead of Only using the headgear the outfit comes with or turning it off ? i do love the sunglasses but would also love to wear a hat with them too. i think hat skins should have there own slot separate from things like glasses/ goggles/outfits and so on . i dont want to have to choose between them id like to use them together. i hope Anet Can come up with an idea to make this happen <3

I don't think you will ever be able to use them together, because an outfit's helmet may conflict with an armor helmet. Even for sunglasses, ANet would have to test them with every possible helmet and disable those that are incompatibles. Too mutch work... :/

However, being able to use the outfit's head peice on our armor skin or our armor head peice instead of our outfit's would be great.

It won't happen. Outfits represent a 5th armor 'weight' (along with the original town clothes). The game was designed to prevent them from mixing & matching, to limit the amount of compatibility checks that need to be made. (Paraphrasing the artists: yeah, there's clipping in the game, but it would be worse if we didn't spend a lot of time reducing it.) So although outfits might look like they can match with some headgear (e.g. the ballcap), they aren't the same kind of armor.

To make it possible would mean re-engineering the system. And while there are plenty of good reasons to do that, the costs are prohibitive... especially since they'd have to retrofit _all_ the existing armor to fit the new system.

Good & fun idea; pricier than it sounds.

An oft requested request, that I’m sure many would love.

If anet started selling headless outfits, with the headpieces given as individual skins, they’d make 174.7% more money.

They’d also be 138.2% more attractive to the female playerbase, and their mondays will require 37.5% less coffee for the same production.

I’ve had several instances of “hey, this outfit has an awesome headpiece”

Or

“This outfit is cool, but the headpiece looks so weird/wrong, i got a much better skin in my wardrobe”

> @"Briareos.1865" said:

> Right now we could still hide the outfit helm by hiding the armor helm. Could it be made so that we could just hide the outfit helm while showing the 1 used for the armor?

No. For the same reason we can't use an Anonymity Mask (medium) with Electromagnetic Armor; they are effectively different armor weights and don't match. (Mind you, I dunno why someone would want that headgear with the Asura cultural heavy plate.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Briareos.1865" said:

> > Right now we could still hide the outfit helm by hiding the armor helm. Could it be made so that we could just hide the outfit helm while showing the 1 used for the armor?

>

> No. For the same reason we can't use an Anonymity Mask (medium) with Electromagnetic Armor; they are effectively different armor weights and don't match. (Mind you, I dunno why someone would want that headgear with the Asura cultural heavy plate.)

Sorry. I didn't really know how it works. Just thought you meant we can't transmute between outfit and armor like how we can't change heavy armor to med armor skins. But I thought it is just about hiding and showing what we have equipped; since they could treat the outfit headpiece separately by hiding it, they could also show the headpiece of what we have equipped in our armor slot instead.

> @"Briareos.1865" said:

> Right now we could still hide the outfit helm by hiding the armor helm. Could it be made so that we could just hide the outfit helm while showing the 1 used for the armor?

This would be great. I don't buy many outfits because I usually hate the headpiece and would like to use my own skins for the head slot instead of just having nothing showing.

> @"Briareos.1865" said:

> Sorry. I didn't really know how it works. Just thought you meant we can't transmute between outfit and armor like how we can't change heavy armor to med armor skins. But I thought it is just about hiding and showing what we have equipped; since they could treat the outfit headpiece separately by hiding it, they could also show the headpiece of what we have equipped in our armor slot instead.

The system wasn't designed to make that possible. It would take an overhaul to change that.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> There was a bug some while back where you could make your char wear an outfit helm while wearing armor. [source](

). So it appears that it is possible through a bug which makes me wonder why it’s not possible on purpose.

>

As I recall, originally the preview window sometimes allowed cross-weight matches. But the preview window doesn't have to account for lighting, for all the in-game physics, etc. Without a specific dev comment, I'd guess that the bug actually broke more things than it solved, and that trying to turn it into a feature caused a lot of issues.

The devs have said that the "meshes" used by the different weights of armor are distinct, so they don't match up. We can see that with the rigging on torso/legging. I'm not sure how much that matters for above the shoulders. But given that some headgear hides hair and some doesn't, that some overlaps with shoulders and some doesn't, I'm guessing it's problematic.

In other words, it's not the "weight" per se, it's that the underlying "skeleton" of each type won't match.