I have my daughter to thank for this one, after noting

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> Are you saying your daughter knows that song? How old would you have to be for that to happen?!?! ;)

My seven year old knows several old songs. As long as you play them they'll learn. I cought him singing to some tunes I play while he's playing Legos minding his own business more than once.

Songs don't just disappear once they're 'old' (unless they're also unpopular and no one keeps playing them). My CD collection goes back to 20 years before I was born, and that's just the stuff I've chosen to buy, I'm not sure how old the oldest music I know is. Although one of the songs played during my wedding ceremony was 'The Beauty Song' originally a poem written in China around 80 BC so that probably wins. How do I know about it? It's sung by Zang Ziyi in House of Flying Daggers. (Other music for the ceremony included I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith and Concerning Hobbits from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack...it was an odd mix but very appropriate for us.)

Back to the original topic I love the idea of applying this to Guild Wars, but unfortunately I've named all my mounts so I can't do it. Unless you allow for the fact that I can't put the names in-game, so technically they are nameless.

> @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > Are you saying your daughter knows that song? How old would you have to be for that to happen?!?! ;)

>

> My seven year old knows several old songs. As long as you play them they'll learn. I cought him singing to some tunes I play while he's playing Legos minding his own business more than once.

My response was a bit tongue in cheek -- but I do remember talking about the Beatles to a 7th grade history class (a bunch of 12 year olds in the U.S.) and being met with a room full of blank looks -- and that was in 1987.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > Are you saying your daughter knows that song? How old would you have to be for that to happen?!?! ;)

> >

> > My seven year old knows several old songs. As long as you play them they'll learn. I cought him singing to some tunes I play while he's playing Legos minding his own business more than once.

>

> My response was a bit tongue in cheek -- but I do remember talking about the Beatles to a 7th grade history class (a bunch of 12 year olds in the U.S.) and being met with a room full of blank looks -- and that was in 1987.

In 1987 Boston went on tour (after the release of _Third Stage_), and I saw them in the Worcester Centrum (Worcester Mass, their nearest date to actually playing in Boston). While we were waiting for the opening act (Farrenheit) to come out, and in between them and the main gig, the venue played Beatles songs. My friend who had suggested going, a student like myself, didn't recognise any of the songs and was surprised when I said they were by the Beatles. Both of us were 20-21, so born while the Beatles were still a group, so you'd think he'd have known, just like I did.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > Are you saying your daughter knows that song? How old would you have to be for that to happen?!?! ;)

> > >

> > > My seven year old knows several old songs. As long as you play them they'll learn. I cought him singing to some tunes I play while he's playing Legos minding his own business more than once.

> >

> > My response was a bit tongue in cheek -- but I do remember talking about the Beatles to a 7th grade history class (a bunch of 12 year olds in the U.S.) and being met with a room full of blank looks -- and that was in 1987.

>

> In 1987 Boston went on tour (after the release of _Third Stage_), and I saw them in the Worcester Centrum (Worcester Mass, their nearest date to actually playing in Boston). While we were waiting for the opening act (Farrenheit) to come out, and in between them and the main gig, the venue played Beatles songs. My friend who had suggested going, a student like myself, didn't recognise any of the songs and was surprised when I said they were by the Beatles. Both of us were 20-21, so born while the Beatles were still a group, so you'd think he'd have known, just like I did.

Can't speak for your friend but when I was a kid, even before I was really aware there was better music, I made a point of not knowing any more boyband songs than necessary. Of course this was the 90's, not the 60's but the way the other girls went on about Take That and Boyzone you'd think they were at least their equals.

A few people have told me that if I'd been around in the 60's I'd have been a Beatles fan, I tell them I'd have been a Stones fan and at least claimed I couldn't stand the Beatles.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Songs don't just disappear once they're 'old' (unless they're also unpopular and no one keeps playing them). My CD collection goes back to 20 years before I was born, and that's just the stuff I've chosen to buy, I'm not sure how old the oldest music I know is. Although one of the songs played during my wedding ceremony was 'The Beauty Song' originally a poem written in China around 80 BC so that probably wins. How do I know about it? It's sung by Zang Ziyi in House of Flying Daggers. (Other music for the ceremony included I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith and Concerning Hobbits from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack...it was an odd mix but very appropriate for us.)

>

> Back to the original topic I love the idea of applying this to Guild Wars, but unfortunately I've named all my mounts so I can't do it. Unless you allow for the fact that I can't put the names in-game, so technically they are nameless.

I just believed her; so, they CAN actually be named?

So, maybe she should have rephrased it as "I haven't named my mount yet …". :)

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> Imagine how old you'd have to be before your kids recognised Beethoven's fifth or Rossini's William Tell overture? ( to name just a couple of popular classical pieces!)

Actually, BOTH of those were heard when I was growing up. There was a song called "Roll Over Beethoven" (I think) in the 70s that I really liked. And, I was a HUGE Lone Ranger fan growing up, so I heard the short version of the Overture a lot.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > Imagine how old you'd have to be before your kids recognised Beethoven's fifth or Rossini's William Tell overture? ( to name just a couple of popular classical pieces!)

>

> Loony Toons have been on reruns for decades

I can still see my son the first time he ran into Bugs Bunny cartoons and Abbott and Costello movies: he was literally rolling on the floor laughing. In pain, because he laughed too long, but from the floor, so he couldn't pause it to get a break.

And, yes, for both.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> I just believed her; so, they CAN actually be named?

>

> So, maybe she should have rephrased it as "I haven't named my mount yet …". :)

There is no way to give them a name in the game. :(

But I made up names for them in my head anyway, because it seemed weird not to.

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> As someone who grew up with punk, new wave and alternative, I didn't care for the Beatles at all when I was a 80s gothy teen. Only now, when I'm much older and less rebellious have I appreciated their music and what they meant to the world.

>

> Not a fan, but I do appreciate them.

^This.

I am old enough to remember the Beatles first hand,. I'm not fond of them, but I can appreciate them.

To the OP: Thanks for the earworm. Trivia: there are only two chords in the entire song: Em and Dadd6add9