Elite Specializations and LW Episodes

> @"segman.3560" said:

> Core > LW1 > LW2 > HoT > nothing > LW3 > PoF > LW4

Nothing? Seriously? It was HoT>LW3>PoF>LW4, there isn't nothing

> @"segman.3560" said:

>Unless you expected next expac early 2019, which would be ridiculous.

You think we will have only 4 episodes in lw4? I don't think so. What I was thinking was 6-8 episodes in LW4, which gives 3-5 more episodes, which would bring us to late 2019 expansion, aka 2 years from PoF - absolutely normal.

At the moment we can expect 3 to 5 more(lw4) + 6 to 8 (lw5), which is 9-13 more episodes. Considering the time frame between episodes is ~3 month (but it is a little more), this is 24-36 more months before exp3. This automatically makes 3-4 years between HoT and PoF. As I said before the content in the LW hasn't been at the same level as the content in any EXP - speaking about new elite specs, speaking about mounts and map layouts, built specifically for them, speaking about gliders and, again, map layouts build for them. I don't believe we will see such new content in the LW4 and 5. When you have started releasing such quality content in the expansions you should continue to deliver it because you have raised the expectations of the player base. You said it yourself - you were surprised there were 2 seasons back to back. Are you saying you were expecting nothing? Of course no - you were expecting expansion too. Anet should move forward and introduce an improvement of the content and constantly deliver more and more of it, raising its level and progressing further, not less and less. Unless they fill the LW with new spec and similar expansion-like content, they are **downgrading the game development**.

I am a bit scared of adding another set of elite spec, thinking about all the following class balance. It could be a nightmare.

Maybe it would be easier to add a new spec for some different environment. Idk, a new underwater weapon (although I'm not among the people asking for an expansion focused on underwater content). There would be less chance to mess things up with hundreds of traits.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> >

> > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

Cause you don't pay for them.

> @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > Core > LW1 > LW2 > HoT > nothing > LW3 > PoF > LW4

> Nothing? Seriously? It was HoT>LW3>PoF>LW4, there isn't nothing

No. They never said expansion will happen right after LW4. There is no pattern because up to now their release model is changing between box releases every time. You cannot create any conclusions. Everything player expected was created only by players, not anet.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > Core > LW1 > LW2 > HoT > nothing > LW3 > PoF > LW4

> > Nothing? Seriously? It was HoT>LW3>PoF>LW4, there isn't nothing

>

> No. They never said expansion will happen right after LW4. There is no pattern because up to now their release model is changing between box releases every time. You cannot create any conclusions. Everything player expected was created only by players, not anet.

>

>

You have input "nothing" between HoT and LW3, which is not true.

Read the rest of my comment, thanks.

> @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > > > Core > LW1 > LW2 > HoT > nothing > LW3 > PoF > LW4

> > > Nothing? Seriously? It was HoT>LW3>PoF>LW4, there isn't nothing

> >

> > No. They never said expansion will happen right after LW4. There is no pattern because up to now their release model is changing between box releases every time. You cannot create any conclusions. Everything player expected was created only by players, not anet.

> >

> >

>

> You have input "nothing" between HoT and LW3, which is not true.

> Read the rest of my comment, thanks.

I read it. It's irrelevant. You cannot draw conclusions from any of releases as for now every LW+Expac compo ended up with release culture change.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > > > @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > Core > LW1 > LW2 > HoT > nothing > LW3 > PoF > LW4

> > > > Nothing? Seriously? It was HoT>LW3>PoF>LW4, there isn't nothing

> > >

> > > No. They never said expansion will happen right after LW4. There is no pattern because up to now their release model is changing between box releases every time. You cannot create any conclusions. Everything player expected was created only by players, not anet.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You have input "nothing" between HoT and LW3, which is not true.

> > Read the rest of my comment, thanks.

>

> I read it. It's irrelevant. You cannot draw conclusions from any of releases as for now every LW+Expac compo ended up with release culture change.

Not irrelevant at all, quite opposite.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > >

> > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

>

> Cause you don't pay for them.

But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > >

> > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> >

> > Cause you don't pay for them.

> But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > >

> > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > >

> > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

>

> Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

So you have no point then.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > > >

> > > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> >

> > Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> So you have no point then.

I just destroyed yours, thank you.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > > > >

> > > > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > > > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> > >

> > > Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> > So you have no point then.

>

> I just destroyed yours, thank you.

ignoring ≠ destroying

But keep trying. :)

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > > > > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> > > >

> > > > Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> > > So you have no point then.

> >

> > I just destroyed yours, thank you.

> ignoring ≠ destroying

>

> But keep trying. :)

It would be a revenue loss. any current active player would get them for free, any person who isnt currently actively playing but does follow releases would get them for free. Only people who arent following releases, unable to actually play the game, or who start after the story is no longer avaialble would have to pay, so *some* of the player base. Versus *ALL* who buy the expansions, and considering theyve been a major selling point of the last two expansions i personally find it highly unlikely theyd consider even thinking of releasing them for free *At all*.

> @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > > > Core > LW1 > LW2 > HoT > nothing > LW3 > PoF > LW4

> > > Nothing? Seriously? It was HoT>LW3>PoF>LW4, there isn't nothing

> >

> > No. They never said expansion will happen right after LW4. There is no pattern because up to now their release model is changing between box releases every time. You cannot create any conclusions. Everything player expected was created only by players, not anet.

> >

> >

>

> You have input "nothing" between HoT and LW3, which is not true.

> Read the rest of my comment, thanks.

I think by "nothing" he means the 9 months break between HoT's release in October 2015 and the Start of LS3 in July 2016.

In reality it was:

Core (August 2012)

5 months

LW1 (January 2013-March 2014)

4 months

LW2 (July 2014-January 2015)

9 months

HoT (October 2015)

9 months

LW3 (July 2016-July 2017)

2 months

PoF (September 2017

2 months

LW4 (November 2017)

Releasing them individually would probably take a lot more work and people would complain since it would potentially take over 2 years to release them all. It'd probably be easier to have a few hero challenges per episode, then drop in all the elites at the end.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> I blame WP for this, especially his suggestion Anet may charge for LW5. Ridiculous.

If you had to pay for it, it'd lose its purpose. They're not actually trying to sell the living world, it's just to encourage you to login. If they were going to start charging for it, they'd slowly kill off the living world and introduce episodic expansions.

Season 5 could have a cost however, by being locked behind pre-purchasing the next expansion.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > > > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > > > > > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> > > > >

> > > > > Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> > > > So you have no point then.

> > >

> > > I just destroyed yours, thank you.

> > ignoring ≠ destroying

> >

> > But keep trying. :)

>

> It would be a revenue loss. any current active player would get them for free, any person who isnt currently actively playing but does follow releases would get them for free. Only people who arent following releases, unable to actually play the game, or who start after the story is no longer avaialble would have to pay, so *some* of the player base. Versus *ALL* who buy the expansions, and considering theyve been a major selling point of the last two expansions i personally find it highly unlikely theyd consider even thinking of releasing them for free *At all*.

But this doesn't matter because they would have spent the resources to develop content for the LW regardless and like I said it doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs as part of the next expantion either.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > > > > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > > > > > > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> > > > > So you have no point then.

> > > >

> > > > I just destroyed yours, thank you.

> > > ignoring ≠ destroying

> > >

> > > But keep trying. :)

> >

> > It would be a revenue loss. any current active player would get them for free, any person who isnt currently actively playing but does follow releases would get them for free. Only people who arent following releases, unable to actually play the game, or who start after the story is no longer avaialble would have to pay, so *some* of the player base. Versus *ALL* who buy the expansions, and considering theyve been a major selling point of the last two expansions i personally find it highly unlikely theyd consider even thinking of releasing them for free *At all*.

> But this doesn't matter because they would have spent the resources to develop content for the LW regardless and like I said it doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs as part of the next expantion either.

But they can sell both sets of specs via 2 expansions instead of selling only 1. Your idea removes revenue from anet and gives nothing in return :)

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Elite specs are one of main expanion selling points. Why would they give it for free?

> > > > > > > > > > > It's only free for those who played during the specific time window, everyone else has to buy the episode.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Somehow I feel majority of players will get them for free this way, making it big revenue loss :)

> > > > > > > > > How is this a revenue loss? Additional e-specs would obviously come at the expense of some other stuff (although I wouldn't be sad about it if that means were dodging more map restricted gimmicks like the FTT system) and this doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs during the next expansion either.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Cause you don't pay for them.

> > > > > > > But some people will and what's the argument here? Everything that isn't an expansion or gemstore shouldn't be made?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Some against all. Hmmm... Thonk.

> > > > > So you have no point then.

> > > >

> > > > I just destroyed yours, thank you.

> > > ignoring ≠ destroying

> > >

> > > But keep trying. :)

> >

> > It would be a revenue loss. any current active player would get them for free, any person who isnt currently actively playing but does follow releases would get them for free. Only people who arent following releases, unable to actually play the game, or who start after the story is no longer avaialble would have to pay, so *some* of the player base. Versus *ALL* who buy the expansions, and considering theyve been a major selling point of the last two expansions i personally find it highly unlikely theyd consider even thinking of releasing them for free *At all*.

> But this doesn't matter because they would have spent the resources to develop content for the LW regardless and like I said it doesn't prevent them from adding even more e-specs as part of the next expantion either.

Yes it does, Because theyd spend *extra* time developing the elite specs to fit into the LW, than if they had just spent time doing the LW as weve been getting it now, hell id argue that the beetle is one of the reasons LW4s latest episodes map was bleh, and unfinished.

Why would they offer one for free and then sell the other, theyd more than likely sell both so they could make more money.

I just imagine the level of complaints you’d see if one or two classes got a third espec and no one else. It’s already bad enough here...

I do think LW5 should be open to the core players, and should include elite specs for them as well (maybe restrict it to those who bought the core game, if it’s a money issue). As of now, core-only players are at a big disadvantage in certain game modes.

But I guess you could say that’s the price of not buying an expansion. /shrug

Idk, but i lost a lot of interest with these news of no expansion after season 4. Unless season 5 is like 3 episodes long, expansion 3 is going to take longer than 2 years to develop which is not aceptable for me. Like come on, 1 elite spec per expansion with like 15 new skills? Are you joking me and now a delay....

> @"SloRules.3560" said:

> Idk, but i lost a lot of interest with these news of no expansion after season 4. Unless season 5 is like 3 episodes long, expansion 3 is going to take longer than 2 years to develop which is not aceptable for me. Like come on, 1 elite spec per expansion with like 15 new skills? Are you joking me and now a delay....

Indeed. We all were expecting an expansion. Some say that these expectations were caused by the players but this is not true. Anet raised the game's content development to such heights (with the 2 expansions, which is extremely good) that it caused expectations of another expansion in 2019.

Honestly, best thing about not getting new expansion is that it means we won't get new e-specs.

This means Anet can take time to properly balance the game, and fix some core traitlines. At the moment, expansions have introduced way too much powercreep and have made some traits, weapons and skills completely redundant. This gives developers opportunity to fix things. Not to mention how some classes are near a wall when it comes to their possible elite specs. Either because their current specs can cover almost all possible roles, or because they have no weapons left to be given that would make sense. (sure, you can have a shortbow necromancer, but is that really what we want?)

I honestly dont want new "kewl" skills, and particle effects if the game feels broken or if classes feel like complete random gibberish.

They haven't said that there won't be an expansion. So perhaps they'll drop it in the middle of season 5 (that way they can use the first half of that season to build towards the new expansion) or season 5 will be kicked off by an expansion.

I know they keep going on about how great LW is an how it allows them to continuously release content usually reserved for an expansion but I cannot for the life of me imagine that they (and NCSoft) are willing to forgo the revenue generated by selling an expansion. That doesn't make any sense. They are a business, after all.