Dye kits from back lion chests should not drop common or uncommon dyes

Solsky.8296

Recently my wife and I opened at least 100 chests between the two of us. The drops were very meh for the most part, some good skins, and the new springer kit minis help. It was the dye kits that really got me. I must have opened 10 kits and only got 1 or 2 rares and 1 exclusive. the rest were common dyes that I already have ( I have all the blue unlocked and most of the greens). So I ask why do we get common and uncommon dyes that are worth almost nothing from a black lion chest? I thought the chests are the reward system for this game? A common dye that is worth 40 copper is not a reward. The dye kits should only drop dyes you don't have or make them give a decent set of dyes that are only from the kits so the sell value is greater.

The so-called exclusive dyes currently dropping from the chests are already down below 10g each, sometimes below 5g. These are dyes that were 25-100g when their kits were available as purchases from the gem shop.

Most BL Chest drops are filler, fluff. They are consolation prizes for the 99% of the time we get something relatively dull. Buy for the excitement just before opening, that something fun might happen; don't expect to get anything of great interest even from 100 chests.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> The dye market doesnt need to plummet further. If they were to make any changes so getting the rarer dye from the kits was easier those dyes would lose their value as well.

Oh no, the speculators in the imaginary market might lose some of their Monopoly money, boo hoo.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > The dye market doesnt need to plummet further. If they were to make any changes so getting the rarer dye from the kits was easier those dyes would lose their value as well.

>

> Oh no, the speculators in the imaginary market might lose some of their Monopoly money, boo hoo.

Oh no, someone bought lootboxes and got bad drops boo hoo.

If you really dislike ANet's use of random rewards in BLC's, complaining about the practice is fine, However, since the practice seems to be working for ANet, the only other recourse you have as a consumer is don't buy keys. Don't buy them with gems from money, nor with gems from gold. It won't be enough to influence ANet to change unless a lot of consumers do it, but at least you will have distanced yourself from the experience.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > The dye market doesnt need to plummet further. If they were to make any changes so getting the rarer dye from the kits was easier those dyes would lose their value as well.

>

> Oh no, the speculators in the imaginary market might lose some of their Monopoly money, boo hoo.

It's not about the speculators. My friend often buys 50 keys, and when they get a dye kit and it drops an exclusive dye and ... it ends up being worth only 5g, it's disappointing. If all dyes are cheap, then they aren't really special. I used to have to choose carefully which colors I wanted; now we can mostly all have most any we want (although not necessarily when we want them).

Speculators could care less if the dye market crashes, because they'll make money regardless. It's the rest of us that end up feeling our collections are less valuable, that our 'lucky' drops aren't so lucky.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > The dye market doesnt need to plummet further. If they were to make any changes so getting the rarer dye from the kits was easier those dyes would lose their value as well.

> >

> > Oh no, the speculators in the imaginary market might lose some of their Monopoly money, boo hoo.

>

> It's not about the speculators. My friend often buys 50 keys, and when they get a dye kit and it drops an exclusive dye and ... it ends up being worth only 5g, it's disappointing. If all dyes are cheap, then they aren't really special. I used to have to choose carefully which colors I wanted; now we can mostly all have most any we want (although not necessarily when we want them).

>

> Speculators could care less if the dye market crashes, because they'll make money regardless. It's the rest of us that end up feeling our collections are less valuable, that our 'lucky' drops aren't so lucky.

What you get for gambling.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > The dye market doesnt need to plummet further. If they were to make any changes so getting the rarer dye from the kits was easier those dyes would lose their value as well.

> > >

> > > Oh no, the speculators in the imaginary market might lose some of their Monopoly money, boo hoo.

> >

> > It's not about the speculators. My friend often buys 50 keys, and when they get a dye kit and it drops an exclusive dye and ... it ends up being worth only 5g, it's disappointing. If all dyes are cheap, then they aren't really special. I used to have to choose carefully which colors I wanted; now we can mostly all have most any we want (although not necessarily when we want them).

> >

> > Speculators could care less if the dye market crashes, because they'll make money regardless. It's the rest of us that end up feeling our collections are less valuable, that our 'lucky' drops aren't so lucky.

>

> What you get for gambling.

I think you're still missing the point: the point of gambling is the fun in imagining what you might get, and that fun is diminished if even the low-chance drops end up being worth nothing.

But also, higher drop rates affect those of us (including myself) who choose not to gamble. As I said above, when dye prices are high, I have to carefully choose which colors I'd like. When they drop below 5 gold (at some point) for nearly all colors, then none of the dyes are special any longer. It makes the game less interesting to me (and others).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > The dye market doesnt need to plummet further. If they were to make any changes so getting the rarer dye from the kits was easier those dyes would lose their value as well.

> > > >

> > > > Oh no, the speculators in the imaginary market might lose some of their Monopoly money, boo hoo.

> > >

> > > It's not about the speculators. My friend often buys 50 keys, and when they get a dye kit and it drops an exclusive dye and ... it ends up being worth only 5g, it's disappointing. If all dyes are cheap, then they aren't really special. I used to have to choose carefully which colors I wanted; now we can mostly all have most any we want (although not necessarily when we want them).

> > >

> > > Speculators could care less if the dye market crashes, because they'll make money regardless. It's the rest of us that end up feeling our collections are less valuable, that our 'lucky' drops aren't so lucky.

> >

> > What you get for gambling.

>

> I think you're still missing the point: the point of gambling is the fun in imagining what you might get, and that fun is diminished if even the low-chance drops end up being worth nothing.

>

> But also, higher drop rates affect those of us (including myself) who choose not to gamble. As I said above, when dye prices are high, I have to carefully choose which colors I'd like. When they drop below 5 gold (at some point) for nearly all colors, then none of the dyes are special any longer. It makes the game less interesting to me (and others).

This^ Anet isnt putting something in the black lion chest that you cant get elsewhere. So upping drop rates will affect anyone who interact with that item and not necessarily in a good way.

Loot boxes are evil. I'm in favor of absolutely anything that devalues them, undermines them, makes them less appealing, convinces people not to buy them, and so on. Complaining that gambling is not fun sound to me like complaining that stabbing yourself with a fork is painful. Well, no nibbles gibbles Batman. It's gambling. That's how it is. The house always wins. It should not be a surprise when you don't.