Events on set timer vs bounties.

zealex.9410

I mainly want to get other ppl's opinions on this since pof is nearing 1 year into its lifespan and with lw updates having their own bounties how do ppl feel about them?Esp when you compaire them to the way metas or event chain work in hot and (prob) in the rest of the game.

Personal opinion: I prefer set timers over the fluid "everyone can pop a bounty whenever they wont (if its available).

I feel more in control and certain of whats happening and when and im able to reliably do diff activities because i know that at xx:30 (example) y thing happens and everyone else knows that too.

I **hate** set timers and have ever since Dry Top was introduced (that's the worst of them: work hard to build up tiers and then work harder to enjoy the benefits while they last; no down time). I also hate that I have to schedule around the timing of specific events, which might conflict with static group schedules, guild schedules, or real life.

My favorite model is Silverwastes: the people on the map affect how often the meta triggers (and how quickly it's completed to restart the cycle). I like this aspect of bounties: anyone can start a bounty run at any time.

(The problem to me is more that too many unscheduled metas & bounties have weaker rewards making it less appealing for folks to organize them.)

One thing I like about ANet's approach is that they have tried to mix things up: Istan is scheduled; Kourna is not. (And again, there's a separate issue of the amount of reward for equal time invested, but that's not what was asked about in the OP.)

So over the next year of LS4 & LS4, I hope we keep seeing a mix. I think it would also be interesting to have some lesser events run on a schedule, too. For example, if Kourna has an unscheduled meta, then put the legendary bounties on the clock.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> I enjoy a mix of both. With set timers though, the event had better worth the wait, eg Dragons Stand. If I had to wait 2 hours and plan my play sessions ahead of time just to rescue Timmy from a well, Timmy's gonna drown.

Yeah it's good for meta events and world bosses but for the rest I'd rather not have to wait an hour for this or that.

To the OP: I find it odd that it's a matter of control for you. You can trigger a bounty yourself. That to me is the ultimate control. Having to wait for a timer means the timer has control, not you. I guess it depends on how you look at it...

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > I enjoy a mix of both. With set timers though, the event had better worth the wait, eg Dragons Stand. If I had to wait 2 hours and plan my play sessions ahead of time just to rescue Timmy from a well, Timmy's gonna drown.

>

> Yeah it's good for meta events and world bosses but for the rest I'd rather not have to wait an hour for this or that.

>

> To the OP: I find it odd that it's a matter of control for you. You can trigger a bounty yourself. That to me is the ultimate control. Having to wait for a timer means the timer has control, not you. I guess it depends on how you look at it...

>

Yeah but it also means the timer has control over all other players meanwhile yes, i can pop a bounty whenever i want but so can others and with how map searching works (or doesnt) and your occasional troll this is less than ideal.

I used the word control as in everything is under control is in order there wont be any unexpected problems at any point i know exactly what happens and when. Thats not the case with bounties.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> I **hate** set timers and have ever since Dry Top was introduced (that's the worst of them: work hard to build up tiers and then work harder to enjoy the benefits while they last; no down time). I also hate that I have to schedule around the timing of specific events, which might conflict with static group schedules, guild schedules, or real life.

>

> My favorite model is Silverwastes: the people on the map affect how often the meta triggers (and how quickly it's completed to restart the cycle). I like this aspect of bounties: anyone can start a bounty run at any time.

> (The problem to me is more that too many unscheduled metas & bounties have weaker rewards making it less appealing for folks to organize them.)

>

> One thing I like about ANet's approach is that they have tried to mix things up: Istan is scheduled; Kourna is not. (And again, there's a separate issue of the amount of reward for equal time invested, but that's not what was asked about in the OP.)

>

> So over the next year of LS4 & LS4, I hope we keep seeing a mix. I think it would also be interesting to have some lesser events run on a schedule, too. For example, if Kourna has an unscheduled meta, then put the legendary bounties on the clock.

>

>

I personally like metas because they couple their set timer with a pretty cool big player sized chain of events.

Silverwastes is also pretty neat too.

I mean putting the bounties on clock tho defeats their purpose imo which purpose i find to not work great in mmos in the first place. If they put a timer they may as well scale their size, add more mechanics, an achievements tab and bam u got your world boss (i miss those xd)

IMO, SIlverwastes was the height of GW2's potential. It's suffered only because it was the only repeatrable meta for almost two years (just before HOT) and everyone burned out on it. Also, it was TOO good of a farm and it drew people in to over-repeat it. But it's design and event pace are absolutely the top content of the game, from a design standpoint.

Fixed timers sort of aim to mechanize the user experience, not unlike world boss timers and jumping from map to map every 15 minutes.

Events without a known timer feel more natural, which is better if you care about immersion and just unexpectedly running into events.

Bounties are a sort of middle ground, and the advantage of them being player triggered is that there's always some organization going on before hand (even if it's just tagging up and announcing it on map chat).

Because rewards aren't that great, usually you may get a few players to help, meaning the bounty doesn't boils down to zerg fest fiesta (which is how dailies tend to trivialize the related content), and I do enjoy the challenge that brings.

Thus, I think it great that we have bounties as they currently are, as alternatives to events (scheduled or not).