Can WvW server be made not pay to win.

Skeletor.9360

> @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> So you might get the feeling that I'm frustrated and dying a bunch. Well its true. But what is a bunch for me? Once an hour. Used to be once 4 hours. Why am I dying more now. Well I used to be able to compete against a good player and win most of the time. If I couldn't win I'd at least survive. Now however a ranger has 3 invisibility skills. How many does my base one have? One. Do I hit harder because of less skills? Nope. Do I have more heals? Nope he does? What about movement skills. Again he has way better ones.

>

> Well thats just rangers...NOPE...

>

> thief..same have 2

> mesmer...same have 2

> warriar...same have 1

> Guardian...same have 1

> engineer...same have 2

> elementalist have 1

>

> So you see I'm not some noob that is getting owned and crying. There are REAL problems. Don't believe me or disagree? Roll a base class and post your unedited 4 hours session. It will be a target fest most likely or a structure hugging event.

>

This post is all over the place. What are you trying to point out?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > > > Notice I have paid in transactions about 5 expansion packs worth plus I had the digital deluxe. So no. it is not wanting something for free. Its about not getting down graded and coerced into buying an expansion pack that is a downgrade:

> > >

> > > And yet you want them to turn on expansion classes for WvW for free. You want the new shirt for free because you bought several pairs of pants last year. Entitlement isn't difficult to understand!

> > >

> > > > Lastly to completely destroy your stupid argument. WvW IS free! I don't "want WvW for free" I have WvW for free! In fact I have 4 toons on 2 free accounts I play on. Whats the difference between them and my paid for account. Really nothing of significance. Less bags and a few other "don't care about" things.

> > >

> > > Free accounts come with restrictions that can be removed by purchasing a paid account. If the difference is "really nothing of significance", then why do you keep demanding that expansion classes get turned on for free in WvW? You destroyed your own argument.

> > >

> >

> > Using your example:

> >

> > I bought a shirt from them.

> > They later come up to me and spray me with battery acid putting holes in my perfectly good shirt.

> > Then they say...hey we'll sell you another shirt! After all that shirt wasn't meant to last.

> >

> > Oh...and comprehension skills for the win...that was comparing my current account to a free one. Bags and some areas you can't speak...no flying...thats about it.

>

> No one sprayed battery acid on your perfectly good shirt. It is still usable for 2012's fashion. No, you are not entitled to an upgrade to 2018 fashion for free just because you bought a shirt in 2012.

If you hold onto that old shirt, it'll go retro and you can sell it to the hipsters for triple what you paid for it

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > > > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > > > > Notice I have paid in transactions about 5 expansion packs worth plus I had the digital deluxe. So no. it is not wanting something for free. Its about not getting down graded and coerced into buying an expansion pack that is a downgrade:

> > > >

> > > > And yet you want them to turn on expansion classes for WvW for free. You want the new shirt for free because you bought several pairs of pants last year. Entitlement isn't difficult to understand!

> > > >

> > > > > Lastly to completely destroy your stupid argument. WvW IS free! I don't "want WvW for free" I have WvW for free! In fact I have 4 toons on 2 free accounts I play on. Whats the difference between them and my paid for account. Really nothing of significance. Less bags and a few other "don't care about" things.

> > > >

> > > > Free accounts come with restrictions that can be removed by purchasing a paid account. If the difference is "really nothing of significance", then why do you keep demanding that expansion classes get turned on for free in WvW? You destroyed your own argument.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Using your example:

> > >

> > > I bought a shirt from them.

> > > They later come up to me and spray me with battery acid putting holes in my perfectly good shirt.

> > > Then they say...hey we'll sell you another shirt! After all that shirt wasn't meant to last.

> > >

> > > Oh...and comprehension skills for the win...that was comparing my current account to a free one. Bags and some areas you can't speak...no flying...thats about it.

> >

> > No one sprayed battery acid on your perfectly good shirt. It is still usable for 2012's fashion. No, you are not entitled to an upgrade to 2018 fashion for free just because you bought a shirt in 2012.

>

> If you hold onto that old shirt, it'll go retro and you can sell it to the hipsters for triple what you paid for it

Maybe if it's acid washed..

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > > Notice I have paid in transactions about 5 expansion packs worth plus I had the digital deluxe. So no. it is not wanting something for free. Its about not getting down graded and coerced into buying an expansion pack that is a downgrade:

> > > >

> > > > And yet you want them to turn on expansion classes for WvW for free. You want the new shirt for free because you bought several pairs of pants last year. Entitlement isn't difficult to understand!

> > > >

> > > > > Lastly to completely destroy your stupid argument. WvW IS free! I don't "want WvW for free" I have WvW for free! In fact I have 4 toons on 2 free accounts I play on. Whats the difference between them and my paid for account. Really nothing of significance. Less bags and a few other "don't care about" things.

> > > >

> > > > Free accounts come with restrictions that can be removed by purchasing a paid account. If the difference is "really nothing of significance", then why do you keep demanding that expansion classes get turned on for free in WvW? You destroyed your own argument.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Using your example:

> > >

> > > I bought a shirt from them.

> > > They later come up to me and spray me with battery acid putting holes in my perfectly good shirt.

> > > Then they say...hey we'll sell you another shirt! After all that shirt wasn't meant to last.

> > >

> > > Oh...and comprehension skills for the win...that was comparing my current account to a free one. Bags and some areas you can't speak...no flying...thats about it.

> >

> > No one sprayed battery acid on your perfectly good shirt. It is still usable for 2012's fashion. No, you are not entitled to an upgrade to 2018 fashion for free just because you bought a shirt in 2012.

>

> If you hold onto that old shirt, it'll go retro and you can sell it to the hipsters for triple what you paid for it

Yea, I had that thought too. Free skill balance patches making your shirt fashionable again!

> @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > If you can find a game that doesn't ask for any money whatsoever in order to be able to play it and you prefer that game's gameplay to GW2 then play that other game.

> >

> > If you aren't the customer, you may be the product. Things only get worse out there for freeloaders than gw2

>

> Missing the point. I paid MORE than someone who never has played the game and now buys the latest version.

> I didn't get any extra value because a free account is the same as mine now.

> Its like buying a ticket on a boat. You get 1/2 across the river and they ask for the same amount again. If you don't pay people start calling you a free loader.

>

> The game is supposed to make money off its transactions - ANET has actually lost money with me because I have done no transactions since they did this. I have 12 or 14 toons on my paid for account (I lose count because I have at least 4 free ones too.) How much is a character slot? Well now its 0 because you make an account.

>

> Previous to this I had bought 14700 gems. Thats like 175 bucks of gems. Further my original account was a digital deluxe.

> ANET throws away its good customers is the lesson they should learn.

>

> I'm such a freeloader!

>

>

Just sounds like you poorly invested your money. Have you tried minesweeper?

In my opinion of all free models GW2 has the best models.there are no random packs you can use real money to get advantages like some pvp games, and what you can buy is all just clothing graphics and stuff.A few stuff you can get that are really useful, like infinite pickaxe, but you don't have to pay a dime, just go farm gold and buy gems from the game store and then get the asthetical clothe you want BOOM.

Happy wars is a pvp game i played that has/had a p2w scenario.The best gear you have to use real money to get so you have an advantage, and anyone who didn't was at a severe disadvantage, now that is what i call pay to win.

Runescape for instance doesn't have nearly asmuch to do as guild wars 2, and the content is well done and varied, plus you get new fractal content in guild wars 2.

Are you at a disadvantage vs the new elite specs? sure, because the designers need to give you a reason to buy the new shiny expansion.No designer in their right mind is going to make something they worked hard for for free in a expansion, because they need money to support themselves.

Besides:its not just better elites, you get a new zone and new content and a new mount thing, so keep that in mind.

> @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > > > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > > > > > Notice I have paid in transactions about 5 expansion packs worth plus I had the digital deluxe. So no. it is not wanting something for free. Its about not getting down graded and coerced into buying an expansion pack that is a downgrade:

> > > > >

> > > > > And yet you want them to turn on expansion classes for WvW for free. You want the new shirt for free because you bought several pairs of pants last year. Entitlement isn't difficult to understand!

> > > > >

> > > > > > Lastly to completely destroy your stupid argument. WvW IS free! I don't "want WvW for free" I have WvW for free! In fact I have 4 toons on 2 free accounts I play on. Whats the difference between them and my paid for account. Really nothing of significance. Less bags and a few other "don't care about" things.

> > > > >

> > > > > Free accounts come with restrictions that can be removed by purchasing a paid account. If the difference is "really nothing of significance", then why do you keep demanding that expansion classes get turned on for free in WvW? You destroyed your own argument.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Using your example:

> > > >

> > > > I bought a shirt from them.

> > > > They later come up to me and spray me with battery acid putting holes in my perfectly good shirt.

> > > > Then they say...hey we'll sell you another shirt! After all that shirt wasn't meant to last.

> > > >

> > > > Oh...and comprehension skills for the win...that was comparing my current account to a free one. Bags and some areas you can't speak...no flying...thats about it.

> > >

> > > No one sprayed battery acid on your perfectly good shirt. It is still usable for 2012's fashion. No, you are not entitled to an upgrade to 2018 fashion for free just because you bought a shirt in 2012.

> >

> > If you hold onto that old shirt, it'll go retro and you can sell it to the hipsters for triple what you paid for it

>

> Yea, I had that thought too. Free skill balance patches making your shirt fashionable again!

You mock me now, but when my DefLeppard: Hysteria tour sleeveless fringed jean jacket sells Cel and I are buying Anet. THEN we'll have balance (and guardian stealth)

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > > > > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > > > > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> > > > > > > Notice I have paid in transactions about 5 expansion packs worth plus I had the digital deluxe. So no. it is not wanting something for free. Its about not getting down graded and coerced into buying an expansion pack that is a downgrade:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And yet you want them to turn on expansion classes for WvW for free. You want the new shirt for free because you bought several pairs of pants last year. Entitlement isn't difficult to understand!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > Lastly to completely destroy your stupid argument. WvW IS free! I don't "want WvW for free" I have WvW for free! In fact I have 4 toons on 2 free accounts I play on. Whats the difference between them and my paid for account. Really nothing of significance. Less bags and a few other "don't care about" things.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Free accounts come with restrictions that can be removed by purchasing a paid account. If the difference is "really nothing of significance", then why do you keep demanding that expansion classes get turned on for free in WvW? You destroyed your own argument.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Using your example:

> > > > >

> > > > > I bought a shirt from them.

> > > > > They later come up to me and spray me with battery acid putting holes in my perfectly good shirt.

> > > > > Then they say...hey we'll sell you another shirt! After all that shirt wasn't meant to last.

> > > > >

> > > > > Oh...and comprehension skills for the win...that was comparing my current account to a free one. Bags and some areas you can't speak...no flying...thats about it.

> > > >

> > > > No one sprayed battery acid on your perfectly good shirt. It is still usable for 2012's fashion. No, you are not entitled to an upgrade to 2018 fashion for free just because you bought a shirt in 2012.

> > >

> > > If you hold onto that old shirt, it'll go retro and you can sell it to the hipsters for triple what you paid for it

> >

> > Yea, I had that thought too. Free skill balance patches making your shirt fashionable again!

>

> You mock me now, but when my DefLeppard: Hysteria tour sleeveless fringed jean jacket sells Cel and I are buying Anet. THEN we'll have balance (and guardian stealth)

But will you make it P2W?!?!?!?!!

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > Yes if you can spend real money JUST to get a power advantage, and NOTHING ELSE, that would be pay to win. But an expansion isn't just a power advantage. It's the continuation of the game. When you buy an MMO you're buying access, not a game. It's like buying a membership to a club. That's just the way it is. In the old days you had a sub. You'd just pay the sub. If you stopped paying the sub, you had to stop playing the game. So yeah, you had to pay to play, which I guess means you'd pay to win as well, since you couldn't play at all without paying. This is a very similar thing. It's a purchase instead of a sub, to let you keep playing. Because you're expected to move forward and continue with the game, it's okay to raise the power. Because you're buying an entire game, not just power. The power is incidental to what you're buying.

> >

> > Well I have to ask what if it's now an expected part of gaming that in some games you can buy power out of a cash shop for real money? What if players who play these games now expect to be able to progress and get advantages over players who don't pay in that way? They could turn your argument around and say it's not "pay to win" because they expect the games to work like that. Would you then say their expectations are irrelevant?

> >

> > > If you only PvP, well, that doesn't matter. As I said it's like buying a Season ticket to Disney World, but only riding roller coasters. Not enough of them to make that worth it, and you'd have to decide it. Keep in mind, the game simply isn't meant to be free forever. It's a membership you're paying for...even if you're not paying for it monthly.

> >

> > It matters to me because I bought the xpacs solely to get a power advantage and I did so knowingly. The only reason I bought them was for the elite specs. If they'd given out the elites for free in WvW I'm sure myself and many many others would never have bought HoT or PoF.

> >

>

> Yes, it's expected that some games will sell power alone out of the cash shop and those games are pay to win. And calling them so you'll be using the name right. There are people who won't play those games because they don't want to play a pay to win game. But those that understand the funding system of MMOs will still buy an MMO that requires you to buy expansions because it's expected that if you're going to continue to play the game, you'll support it by buying those expansions.

>

> For people who don't minding paying to win, they'll know which games they are. Once every game is pay to win the term loses its original definition. We then can't decide between the original types of games, funded by expansions and the new games, funded by pay to win. There is a difference, even if you personally don't pay most of the game. It's like buying a car for the leather seats and then claiming you shouldn't have to pay for the motor. It's still a car. It's made to be a car. If you're just paying to sit in the seat, that's on you. This isn't a PvP game. It's a game. You pay for it and support it or all bets are off. Whether you don't play the rest of the game or not, the company is still paying the employees making and supporting the game.

>

> And make no mistake. If the PvE portion of this game was removed, there would be no game and you'd be playing nothing.

I think I rest my case on this one.

In the course of this discussion you have contradicted two of the key premises of your position though I'm not sure that you even realize it.

Interesting talk though to be sure.

Pay to win is specifically paying the company real dollars to get something specific that empowers. Not an expansion.

Example: instead of gw offering the item that extends food they instead offer a better food that increases power and Condi by ten percent AND that CANNOT be obtained in game.

Or a special add on that allows an extra infusion slot to be added to gear that can ONLY be obtained for cash.

Expansions are a part of the game itself and honestly everyone should have them. It's why we don't have to pay a sub.

Unless of course you consider paying for the game itself to be pay to win and in that case you have pay to win and pay to play mixed up. The base game without expansions is not the complete game.

GW2 was never made to be F2P. It was introduced to the game to let you know if you like it or not. If you do just buy the product. You should consider your free account as a demo version of the game. With just HoT or PoF you gain access to full version. Expansions gives you not only specs but the entire new story, new map, new bosses.

P2W is when you pay for something that gives you advantage, no more no less. Expansions gives you not only specs but the entire new story, new map, new bosses.

Honestly people should feel ashamed for asking expansions (core game atm) to be free.

> @"Andalus.9476" said:

> GW2 was never made to be F2P. It was introduced to the game to let you know if you like it or not. If you do just buy the product. You should consider your free account as a demo version of the game. With just HoT or PoF you gain access to full version. Expansions gives you not only specs but the entire new story, new map, new bosses.

> P2W is when you pay for something that gives you advantage, no more no less. Expansions gives you not only specs but the entire new story, new map, new bosses.

>

> Honestly people should feel ashamed for asking expansions (core game atm) to be free.

Really tired of new players not realizing that some of us paid for the game. Then an expansion came out which degraded our accounts in game content that we paid for. The only way to not be downgraded in power was to pay for the expansion - in old content. Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

And just so you know. There was no free version at the start. It became free partly as a political ploy to reduce the strength of arguments from players who got downgraded.

I am just guessing...but I bet a bunch of people left on the first upgrade and that also was a reason to attract new players. Unfortunately what that decision did was grant them a huge amount of bad press.

I'm agree 100% with the OP. It IS PAY TO WIN, and the people who says the opposite are who bought the expansions.

Class specializations are an empowerment that canntot be obtained in the game. We who only bought the core version in 2012 and dont want or cant buy the next 2 are being treated bad because we cant compete with pay to win specs in PVP and WvW.

We deserve a vanilla server to play in equality of conditions. We that bought the game initially are being treated as bad as the stingy people that plays in f2p accounts and thats unfair.

> @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> Really tired of new players not realizing that some of us paid for the game. Then an expansion came out which degraded our accounts in game content that we paid for. The only way to not be downgraded in power was to pay for the expansion - in old content. Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

I'm sure Arena would be happy to introduce subs to get access to elits and maps for those that don't own exapcs. Like TESO did. If there are many players like you.

Giving you access to a paid product for free isn't an option

Other comments look like i bought this car in 1999, then the model got modifications and enchantments. Why factory is treating us that bad? If we who bought original model in 1999 can't have those modifications, downgrade the rest of production line.

> @"Axelteas.7192" said:

> I'm agree 100% with the OP. It IS PAY TO WIN, and the people who says the opposite are who bought the expansions.

> Class specializations are an empowerment that canntot be obtained in the game. We who only bought the core version in 2012 and dont want or cant buy the next 2 are being treated bad because we cant compete with pay to win specs in PVP and WvW.

> We deserve a vanilla server to play in equality of conditions. We that bought the game initially are being treated as bad as the stingy people that plays in f2p accounts and thats unfair.

I agree with the first part but I don't agree with the conclusion.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Skeletor.9360" said:

>

> > Really tired of new players not realizing that some of us paid for the game. Then an expansion came out which degraded our accounts in game content that we paid for. The only way to not be downgraded in power was to pay for the expansion - in old content. Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

>

> I'm sure Arena would be happy to introduce subs to get access to elits and maps for those that don't own exapcs. Like TESO did. If there are many players like you.

> Giving you access to a paid product for free isn't an option

>

> Other comments look like i bought this car in 1999, then the model got modifications and enchantments. Why factory is treating us that bad? If we who bought original model in 1999 can't have those modifications, downgrade the rest of production line.

>

>

Wrong analogy. Think what if the factory modifies the road to be only used by new models, while 1999 models would have problems and accidents driving in the new road? Thats what Anet has done!

> @"Axelteas.7192" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> >

> > > Really tired of new players not realizing that some of us paid for the game. Then an expansion came out which degraded our accounts in game content that we paid for. The only way to not be downgraded in power was to pay for the expansion - in old content. Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

> >

> > I'm sure Arena would be happy to introduce subs to get access to elits and maps for those that don't own exapcs. Like TESO did. If there are many players like you.

> > Giving you access to a paid product for free isn't an option

> >

> > Other comments look like i bought this car in 1999, then the model got modifications and enchantments. Why factory is treating us that bad? If we who bought original model in 1999 can't have those modifications, downgrade the rest of production line.

> >

> >

>

> Wrong analogy. Think what if the factory modifies the road to be only used by new models, while 1999 models would have problems and accidents driving in the new road? Thats what Anet has done!

Public roads are a form of common good which is to say they're non-excludable. Gw2 is not.

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > @"Axelteas.7192" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > >

> > > > Really tired of new players not realizing that some of us paid for the game. Then an expansion came out which degraded our accounts in game content that we paid for. The only way to not be downgraded in power was to pay for the expansion - in old content. Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

> > >

> > > I'm sure Arena would be happy to introduce subs to get access to elits and maps for those that don't own exapcs. Like TESO did. If there are many players like you.

> > > Giving you access to a paid product for free isn't an option

> > >

> > > Other comments look like i bought this car in 1999, then the model got modifications and enchantments. Why factory is treating us that bad? If we who bought original model in 1999 can't have those modifications, downgrade the rest of production line.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Wrong analogy. Think what if the factory modifies the road to be only used by new models, while 1999 models would have problems and accidents driving in the new road? Thats what Anet has done!

>

> Public roads are a form of common good which is to say they're non-excludable. Gw2 is not.

Yes but you cant drive a Frod T in the highway because modern cars will kick you in the as, like core builds are kicked by overpowered expansion builds

> @"Skeletor.9360" said:

> And just so you know. There was no free version at the start. It became free partly as a political ploy to reduce the strength of arguments from players who got downgraded.

>

?????

OT: Anet didn't properly address the whole "switching to a F2P model". Sure, they were in a hole with low revenue and such, but if the main differences between old purchased accounts and new free accounts are only map chat restrictions and lower character slots, that's unfair for veteran players.

Some people say "the content you played from when you started to when it became F2P accounts for the price you paid", but Far Cry 3 was also released in 2012 and still isn't free.

>Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

That's selfish and alienates those who paid for the expansions. If we paid for mounts, I'm sure we'd want to use them in Lion's Arch, other major towns, and for map completion.

What's included in the "old-content" category? PvP and WvW were part of the core game. Many players who bought the expansion bought it for the new specs to play with and fight against. The elite specializations were a breath of fresh air to a stagnant game.

> @"Axelteas.7192" said:

> > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > @"Axelteas.7192" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > >

> > > > > Really tired of new players not realizing that some of us paid for the game. Then an expansion came out which degraded our accounts in game content that we paid for. The only way to not be downgraded in power was to pay for the expansion - in old content. Nobody is asking for a freebie. We are asking that either you give away the new abilities in the old content OR you remove the abilities from the old content.

> > > >

> > > > I'm sure Arena would be happy to introduce subs to get access to elits and maps for those that don't own exapcs. Like TESO did. If there are many players like you.

> > > > Giving you access to a paid product for free isn't an option

> > > >

> > > > Other comments look like i bought this car in 1999, then the model got modifications and enchantments. Why factory is treating us that bad? If we who bought original model in 1999 can't have those modifications, downgrade the rest of production line.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Wrong analogy. Think what if the factory modifies the road to be only used by new models, while 1999 models would have problems and accidents driving in the new road? Thats what Anet has done!

> >

> > Public roads are a form of common good which is to say they're non-excludable. Gw2 is not.

>

> Yes but you cant drive a Frod T in the highway because modern cars will kick you in the as, like core builds are kicked by overpowered expansion builds

Yeah and that definitely appears to be their intention even though they originally talked about elites as sidegrades.