Please Release Episode 4 trailer today

The lead up was one of the worst bits for me. It lacked any real feel for an intense, epic, sprawling battle. Instead it felt like a first, early skirmish with an abrupt finale. This had the potential to be a true World threatening arc, but it ended as quickly as it started with the impact of any true threat never really being felt. Yes, the storytelling was improving and has done since PoF even despite the lack of depth to Balthazar's arc. LS4 started brilliantly with ep1 and 2, but ep3 suddenly dropped in overall quality and by such an alarming degree, it was concerning to experience.

The cinematic and interactions with Joko were excellent, but the end scene of Aurene/Joko was...unfortunate and not of a high standard of writing I expect from any professional writing team . But I'm not going to go into that further. I think the concerns were well recognised given the dev response in the AFC about Joko.

Dante though covers the map side of things well. LS is very much about the map and the map story as well the instances. The very best releases tell strong stories in the map as well - Lake Doric, Sandswept Isles, Silverwastes, Crystal Oasis (these are all based on my preferences though).

Kourna lacked depth and substance behind the map stories, whereas Doric and Silverwastes show how battleground maps can be done . Sure there were various forces engaging against Joko's army, but it lacked bite and substance - at no point did it really feel (to me) like a a war to save Tyria.

But, if this was truly to be the final chapter in the Joko/Scarab Plague arc, then the real standard to compare it against is Battle for Lions Arch. For all LS1's faults, this chapter was a sweeping epic of a release that fully captured the idea that this was a major war which we had to win or Tyria was doomed. Sadly Kourna just doesn't come close as an epic battle to this.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> The lead up was one of the worst bits for me. It lacked any real feel for an intense, epic, sprawling battle. Instead it felt like a first, early skirmish with an abrupt finale. This had the potential to be a true World threatening arc, but it ended as quickly as it started with the impact of any true threat never really being felt. Yes, the storytelling was improving and has done since PoF even despite the lack of depth to Balthazar's arc. LS4 started brilliantly with ep1 and 2, but ep3 suddenly dropped in overall quality and by such an alarming degree, it was concerning to experience.

>

> The cinematic and interactions with Joko were excellent, but the end scene of Aurene/Joko was...unfortunate and not of a high standard of writing I expect from any professional writing team . But I'm not going to go into that further. I think the concerns were well recognised given the dev response in the AFC about Joko.

>

> Dante though covers the map side of things well. LS is very much about the map and the map story as well the instances. The very best releases tell strong stories in the map as well - Lake Doric, Sandswept Isles, Silverwastes, Crystal Oasis (these are all based on my preferences though).

> Kourna lacked depth and substance behind the map stories, whereas Doric and Silverwastes show how battleground maps can be done . Sure there were various forces engaging against Joko's army, but it lacked bite and substance - at no point did it really feel (to me) like a a war to save Tyria.

>

> But, if this was truly to be the final chapter in the Joko/Scarab Plague arc, then the real standard to compare it against is Battle for Lions Arch. For all LS1's faults, this chapter was a sweeping epic of a release that fully captured the idea that this was a major war which we had to win or Tyria was doomed. Sadly Kourna just doesn't come close as an epic battle to this.

The ending wasn't the most epic thing but it made sense and for what it aimed to be was executed well enough.

Agree with the people saying Kourna/Elona is weak. Every other part of the world is far more interesting and better looking. When they announced PoF I thought we'd be exploring ruins and pyramids, I was so hyped, yet it was just all the same looking desert or fortress. GW1's Elona was FAR more interesting and better looking... Storywise it's a huge downgrade from HoT. I was really engaged in HoT, but PoF christ I wanted to skip everything and get it over with.

> @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> Agree with the people saying Kourna/Elona is weak. Every other part of the world is far more interesting and better looking. When they announced PoF I thought we'd be exploring ruins and pyramids, I was so hyped, yet it was just all the same looking desert or fortress. GW1's Elona was FAR more interesting and better looking... Storywise it's a huge downgrade from HoT. I was really engaged in HoT, but PoF christ I wanted to skip everything and get it over with.

Well, the Pyramids where completely out of nowhere considering that Elona in GW1 didnt have any pyramids, It had ruins yes but they where massive stone blocks for the most part, and it was strictly an African setting, not the Hybrid of Egyptian and African we see today to which i believe is Jokos influence. The massive buildings that GW1s elona had where more Byzantine in origin at least IMO, but if somebody could say precisely what they where based off it would be neat. On top of that Elona..was a pretty boring place: outside of the Desolation and the Sulfurous Wastes which where annoying to travel around it was pretty meh, and all the stuff that made it not meh got destroyed for the most part by Joko, so if anythings to blame for Elonas appearance in GW2 it was that.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Squirrel.6318" said:

> > Agree with the people saying Kourna/Elona is weak. Every other part of the world is far more interesting and better looking. When they announced PoF I thought we'd be exploring ruins and pyramids, I was so hyped, yet it was just all the same looking desert or fortress. GW1's Elona was FAR more interesting and better looking... Storywise it's a huge downgrade from HoT. I was really engaged in HoT, but PoF christ I wanted to skip everything and get it over with.

>

> Well, the Pyramids where completely out of nowhere considering that Elona in GW1 didnt have any pyramids, It had ruins yes but they where massive stone blocks for the most part, and it was strictly an African setting, not the Hybrid of Egyptian and African we see today to which i believe is Jokos influence. The massive buildings that GW1s elona had where more Byzantine in origin at least IMO, but if somebody could say precisely what they where based off it would be neat. On top of that Elona..was a pretty boring place: outside of the Desolation and the Sulfurous Wastes which where annoying to travel around it was pretty meh, and all the stuff that made it not meh got destroyed for the most part by Joko, so if anythings to blame for Elonas appearance in GW2 it was that.

True, I guess what made Elona interesting in GW1 was the corsairs and the rivers and crags and marshes, but with the drought Joko brought, that's all gone.

But my point is that while still, mundane, they could've at least made it more interesting. it's a complete downgrade from HoT. They advertised it as "exploring a lot of ruins, and crags" or something like that. It got me so hyped up, but then when Elona came it was just... i'm not interested at all. And what happened to the Order of Whispers over there, they could've done way more with them. They were like the secret elite organization over there established since Turai Ossa. Could've developed them so much more. Keeping Joko under control was like one of their main jobs. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Order_of_Whispers

They did so well with HoT compared to PoF. I was so engaged in HoT and I still think they're the best maps Anet has done.