Spellbreaker in WvW Role

wanakanabe.6219

New to WvW,finally figured out how to get into a discord channel,mainly i just been tagging along,trying to get a feel for the maps and just get my feet wet. As a spellbreaker what is my role in a group,what sort of things am i counted on to contribute.I heard something about a spellbreaker bubble,i hear a lot of xyz,jxy kind of stuff i don't know the meanings of. Do i stick close to commander or am i in the middle mixing it up. I want to be a good group member and make sure i am fulfilling my role and contributing to my groupl as much as possible.

We mainly took down walls and killed the commanders tonight and we did a huge castle defense that lasted about 30 minutes,not to interested in roaming,i like a lot of action with clear objectives. I have a full exotic beserker armor set and a full exotic soldier set,using 2h hammer and GS,i also have axe/dagger and mace/axe

> @"wanakanabe.6219" said:

> New to WvW,finally figured out how to get into a discord channel,mainly i just been tagging along,trying to get a feel for the maps and just get my feet wet. As a spellbreaker what is my role in a group,what sort of things am i counted on to contribute.I heard something about a spellbreaker bubble,i hear a lot of xyz,jxy kind of stuff i don't know the meanings of. Do i stick close to commander or am i in the middle mixing it up. I want to be a good group member and make sure i am fulfilling my role and contributing to my groupl as much as possible.

> We mainly took down walls and killed the commanders tonight and we did a huge castle defense that lasted about 30 minutes,not to interested in roaming,i like a lot of action with clear objectives. I have a full exotic beserker armor set and a full exotic soldier set,using 2h hammer and GS,i also have axe/dagger and mace/axe

my idea of a warrior is a bubble in as offense, bubble on as defense. gear (tanky enough to execute and get away)

self sufficient, mobile, and cc.

you can do this. start with pvt. if u dont die, change one trinket or armor to zerk. until you can survive with the least tank.

we have our ele, but hes an ele, pure zerk 11k hp, tagging as we go balls deep into a blob.

stances can help you out, traitwise and balance stance. this stance will not allow you to be crit. it is very very good.

Sovereign.1093 Is correct. If you are _new_ to WvW you might want to wear some _tanky_ gear since positioning in WvW is everything and you're likely to get caught in the enemy AoE 'bomb'. Make sure you **trait for stances**; have on your bar **Defy Pain, Berserker Stance** and **Balanced Stance**. If you have an _organised_ commander he should assign Spellbreaker's either **offensive or defensive winds**, otherwise, use your own judgement.

Once you are comfortable with how WvW fights are and know your limits such as when to push, when to drop bubble/winds etc you can change your gear up a bit. I personally run full marauder stats GS + dagger/shield but I carry a hammer in case comm wants me to run that instead. You might also ditch **Balanced Stance** for **Break Enchantments** for that extra boon rip. Tweak your build/gear to suit squad composition as necessary.

Hope that helps, have fun!

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you are looking for builds you can check the metabattle website for up to date builds.

to kind of simplify it, in the current WVW, Spell Breaker is primarily a strategic tool for their Winds of Disenchantment. They used to be a lot stronger before the zerg figured out how to strengthen their Stability; but your fairly high mobility is still good for displacing stragglers, and your invul uptime lets you navigate a bomb better then any other build can hope to.

Buildwise you can run full zerker and more or less be equally functional to other stat types. You want to lean more toward power damage, so your attacks still have bite; but you could look into WarHorn Support spell breaker to trade damage for arguably better utility. In either case, you want to save your Stances/Resistance for WoD pushes, since you'll be separated from the zerg long enough to be at risk of getting stunned. For attacks, Hammer adds hard CCs to pressure stragglers into wasting their Stun breaks or Stab skills, while GS is mostly for getting around and cleaving. If you can get a grasp on how to time Full Counter, you can really screw with the more dangerous builds by getting into positions they're not covering. Its really hard to pull off if the enemy blob knows how to move, but blind spots in their shade layout are great places to cause havoc when you have defenses available. If you want less risky targets, you can force out of positions enemies even further out, and take full advantage of your stronger 1v1 setup.

While GS is generally more useful in large fights due to its ability to cover more ground faster (so you can juke out of bombs more reliably), if you're mostly in smaller scale fights Dagger/Shield or Dagger/Dagger offers more flexible defense, and better ability to stick to a single target. However, dagger's low target cap makes it difficult to use in bigger fights, where you want as much AOE and Cleave as possible. Hammer is more standard to builds due to its combination of hard AOE CCs, decent impact damage, and secondary mobility with Earthshaker (your SB traits offer a lot of damage and boon strip associated with Hard CCs, and hammer burst offers that on a very short cool down).

However, you're main job is to drop bubbles. Offensive bubbles are ones you drop in or in front of the enemy blob to control their movement. Because of the risk with moving away from the supports, you want try to and save your defense stances and stab protect yourself while casting. Beserker and balanced stance are your strongest skills, as its pulses resistance and stability respectively, so make it harder to strip off you when near the enemy scourges. If possible, the best bubbles are ones that are dropped near their front, right on top or just behind of the driver, forcing them to push through on the other side. This not only separates their back line, but also prevents the front line from doubling back and scatters many of them. Anything left in the bubble is basically fodder since they can't recover stability while in it. Defensive bubbles are one you drop on your own zerg to prevent the enemy blob from pushing into yours, or give a safe zone (in conjunction with Pulls) to fight inside. In really messy fights, commanders might call for them to be dropped as simple area denial. No matter how you build your self, this is single most important skill in your arsenal just because of how well it can control enemy movement.

> @"Zephyra.4709" said:

> Sovereign.1093 Is correct. If you are _new_ to WvW you might want to wear some _tanky_ gear since positioning in WvW is everything and you're likely to get caught in the enemy AoE 'bomb'. Make sure you **trait for stances**; have on your bar **Defy Pain, Berserker Stance** and **Balanced Stance**. If you have an _organised_ commander he should assign Spellbreaker's either **offensive or defensive winds**, otherwise, use your own judgement.

>

> Once you are comfortable with how WvW fights are and know your limits such as when to push, when to drop bubble/winds etc you can change your gear up a bit. I personally run full marauder stats GS + dagger/shield but I carry a hammer in case comm wants me to run that instead. You might also ditch **Balanced Stance** for **Break Enchantments** for that extra boon rip. Tweak your build/gear to suit squad composition as necessary.

>

> Hope that helps, have fun!

>

> EDIT: Forgot to add, if you are looking for builds you can check the metabattle website for up to date builds.

break enchantments instead of balanced stance? how do you plan on placing a bubble without pulsing stab? break enchantments, balanced stance and shake it off or berserker stance are the way to go imo if you are playing dmg war in a zerg.

in a full 50-80ppl zerg i would recommend support shoutwar

> @"RedShark.9548" said:

> > @"Zephyra.4709" said:

> > Sovereign.1093 Is correct. If you are _new_ to WvW you might want to wear some _tanky_ gear since positioning in WvW is everything and you're likely to get caught in the enemy AoE 'bomb'. Make sure you **trait for stances**; have on your bar **Defy Pain, Berserker Stance** and **Balanced Stance**. If you have an _organised_ commander he should assign Spellbreaker's either **offensive or defensive winds**, otherwise, use your own judgement.

> >

> > Once you are comfortable with how WvW fights are and know your limits such as when to push, when to drop bubble/winds etc you can change your gear up a bit. I personally run full marauder stats GS + dagger/shield but I carry a hammer in case comm wants me to run that instead. You might also ditch **Balanced Stance** for **Break Enchantments** for that extra boon rip. Tweak your build/gear to suit squad composition as necessary.

> >

> > Hope that helps, have fun!

> >

> > EDIT: Forgot to add, if you are looking for builds you can check the metabattle website for up to date builds.

>

> break enchantments instead of balanced stance? how do you plan on placing a bubble without pulsing stab? break enchantments, balanced stance and shake it off or berserker stance are the way to go imo if you are playing dmg war in a zerg.

>

> in a full 50-80ppl zerg i would recommend support shoutwar

Haven't been in blob fights recently, but you can get off a bubble without balanced stance on the bar rather easily. Stomp does the trick.

I'm running Break Enchantments, Shake it Off, Stomp and it's been the most fun build so far. I hate stances, they don't feel very satisfying to use. Still haven't had enough situations where Balanced Stance was necessary to get the bubble out, but obviously it's personal preference at this point. If I notice I don't get it off I'll switch to it.

And for op: I use Sword + Shield / Hammer, rarely switching to GS / Hammer. Full Marauder stats + Runes of Durability. You can't go wrong with that, ever. Not my job to deal a ton of damage, sword just helps me get around and shield 5 is good to push with your comm or through chokes. Occasionally I also use Axe Shield or Sword Axe if I'm roaming. Definitely dropping the Hammer for the Greatsword when roaming too.

I personally ran Tanky in WvW

Gear: Exotic Soldier's

Trinkets: Emerald

Rune: Dolyak

Weapon 1: GS

Weapon 2: Mace for defense/Shield

Utility: Healing Signet, Dolyak, Endure Pain, Balanced Stance OR Featherfoot Grace

Elite: Signet of Rage OR Winds of Disenchentment

- When I ran with Zergs, I play frontline and push with the commander.

> RedShark.9548

> break enchantments instead of balanced stance? how do you plan on placing a bubble without pulsing stab? break enchantments, balanced stance and shake it off or berserker stance are the way to go imo if you are playing dmg war in a zerg.

I plan on placing a bubble when I dive in with **Last Stand** trait. It is basically _lesser_ version of balanced stance, therefore I can ditch **Balanced Stance** skill for something more offensive. Since I run with organised commanders, I am usually drowning in stability from outlier sources to begin with (Firebrands come to mind).

> @"DragonSlayer.1087" said:

> I personally ran Tanky in WvW

>

> Gear: Exotic Soldier's

> Trinkets: Emerald

> Rune: Dolyak

> Weapon 1: GS

> Weapon 2: Mace for defense/Shield

>

> Utility: Healing Signet, Dolyak, Endure Pain, Balanced Stance OR Featherfoot Grace

> Elite: Signet of Rage OR Winds of Disenchentment

>

> - When I ran with Zergs, I play frontline and push with the commander.

>

Stop commenting if you know nothing of topic. Almost everything is wrong, i guess soldiers could be used by a noob though for starter items. But stuff like mace and dolyak runes and dolyak signet are just bad.

> @"SloRules.3560" said:

> > @"DragonSlayer.1087" said:

> > I personally ran Tanky in WvW

> >

> > Gear: Exotic Soldier's

> > Trinkets: Emerald

> > Rune: Dolyak

> > Weapon 1: GS

> > Weapon 2: Mace for defense/Shield

> >

> > Utility: Healing Signet, Dolyak, Endure Pain, Balanced Stance OR Featherfoot Grace

> > Elite: Signet of Rage OR Winds of Disenchentment

> >

> > - When I ran with Zergs, I play frontline and push with the commander.

> >

>

> Stop commenting if you know nothing of topic. Almost everything is wrong, i guess soldiers could be used by a noob though for starter items. But stuff like mace and dolyak runes and dolyak signet are just bad.

lol i guess you’re the expert of everything.

> @"DragonSlayer.1087" said:

> > @"SloRules.3560" said:

> > > @"DragonSlayer.1087" said:

> > > I personally ran Tanky in WvW

> > >

> > > Gear: Exotic Soldier's

> > > Trinkets: Emerald

> > > Rune: Dolyak

> > > Weapon 1: GS

> > > Weapon 2: Mace for defense/Shield

> > >

> > > Utility: Healing Signet, Dolyak, Endure Pain, Balanced Stance OR Featherfoot Grace

> > > Elite: Signet of Rage OR Winds of Disenchentment

> > >

> > > - When I ran with Zergs, I play frontline and push with the commander.

> > >

> >

> > Stop commenting if you know nothing of topic. Almost everything is wrong, i guess soldiers could be used by a noob though for starter items. But stuff like mace and dolyak runes and dolyak signet are just bad.

>

> lol i guess you’re the expert of everything.

Not everything, but i am expert in WvW and GvG.

boonstrip, dps and bubble. In that order.

Spellbreakers do insane amount of dmg if played well and strip boons close to scourge level if not even more.

Forget about 1h + shield, that is only needed if you are first yolobubble to cover ground for your blob, BUT even then i doupt its any benefit to you. Sbs get "carried" by passives and stances + gs3 evasion.

As gear you should only need to go full marauder. If that is not enough for you the problem is in your positioning and playstyle. Runes you still can go durability as training wheels, then swap to strength

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQJARSnUJCVhgF7CmhAM7ilsATpGk6iBIDuCQAAPDvhHxA-jVSBQBL8QAcFlfJU9nceEAox+DmRJIe0FshLAAAeAAkCQPtWA-w

> @"Slanderman.9532" said:

> boonstrip, dps and bubble. In that order.

> Spellbreakers do insane amount of dmg if played well and strip boons close to scourge level if not even more.

>

> Forget about 1h + shield, that is only needed if you are first yolobubble to cover ground for your blob, BUT even then i doupt its any benefit to you. Sbs get "carried" by passives and stances + gs3 evasion.

>

> As gear you should only need to go full marauder. If that is not enough for you the problem is in your positioning and playstyle. Runes you still can go durability as training wheels, then swap to strength

>

> http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQJARSnUJCVhgF7CmhAM7ilsATpGk6iBIDuCQAAPDvhHxA-jVSBQBL8QAcFlfJU9nceEAox+DmRJIe0FshLAAAeAAkCQPtWA-w

I'm sorry sir, but your first sentence is completly wrong. Bubble is the most important thing to be executed well atm. If you get good bubble and follow up on that bubble you win the fight.

After first sentence stuff picks up in the right direction.