Disadvantageous spot in Temple of Silent Storm

Wilwynd.5798

I've pulled this trick before (albeit not recently, because it's usually not worth it), so to make my own observations:

If I recall correctly, the fire DOES burn you if you stand right in the middle of the brazier. You need to stand on the rim to avoid it.

Having limited mobility up there makes you very vulnerable to pretty much any ranged pressure at all. There's no cover, and (unless you're a Mirage) you can't dodge without falling off. It's also susceptible to pretty much any ranged push or pull. Most games, it's just not worth the effort of getting there, and if you don't have the means to deal with a ranged enemy, a rifle deadeye or longbow ranger on one of the ledges is probably more dangerous.

It seems like you just had a comp that had no means of countering this tactic, and the engineer recognised this and took advantage of it. Given the way Metabattle has been drifting to melee-obligatory builds lately I can see how you could end up with a team with no ranged at all, but it basically boils down to your composition having a major weakness and the engineer found it. Best counter, honestly, is showing a little awareness with the map and the opposing team and being willing to tweak your own build to compensate (for instance, if a map allows for vantage points that are inconvenient for melee builds to get to, don't bring a pure melee build).

• 3 weeks later...

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> I've pulled this trick before (albeit not recently, because it's usually not worth it), so to make my own observations:

>

> If I recall correctly, the fire DOES burn you if you stand right in the middle of the brazier. You need to stand on the rim to avoid it.

>

> Having limited mobility up there makes you very vulnerable to pretty much any ranged pressure at all. There's no cover, and (unless you're a Mirage) you can't dodge without falling off. It's also susceptible to pretty much any ranged push or pull. Most games, it's just not worth the effort of getting there, and if you don't have the means to deal with a ranged enemy, a rifle deadeye or longbow ranger on one of the ledges is probably more dangerous.

>

> It seems like you just had a comp that had no means of countering this tactic, and the engineer recognised this and took advantage of it. Given the way Metabattle has been drifting to melee-obligatory builds lately I can see how you could end up with a team with no ranged at all, but it basically boils down to your composition having a major weakness and the engineer found it. Best counter, honestly, is showing a little awareness with the map and the opposing team and being willing to tweak your own build to compensate (for instance, if a map allows for vantage points that are inconvenient for melee builds to get to, don't bring a pure melee build).

Thank you for being one of the few reasonable people in this discussion. He must have healed faster than the burn damaged him, because he'd be up there, then when you'd leave, he'd squirrel down, cap the point and the squirrel back up, just in time for his buddies to come and making getting to him quite difficult. It boils down to it was frustrating, just like any of the other spots.

> @"Wilwynd.5798" said:

> > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > I've pulled this trick before (albeit not recently, because it's usually not worth it), so to make my own observations:

> >

> > If I recall correctly, the fire DOES burn you if you stand right in the middle of the brazier. You need to stand on the rim to avoid it.

> >

> > Having limited mobility up there makes you very vulnerable to pretty much any ranged pressure at all. There's no cover, and (unless you're a Mirage) you can't dodge without falling off. It's also susceptible to pretty much any ranged push or pull. Most games, it's just not worth the effort of getting there, and if you don't have the means to deal with a ranged enemy, a rifle deadeye or longbow ranger on one of the ledges is probably more dangerous.

> >

> > It seems like you just had a comp that had no means of countering this tactic, and the engineer recognised this and took advantage of it. Given the way Metabattle has been drifting to melee-obligatory builds lately I can see how you could end up with a team with no ranged at all, but it basically boils down to your composition having a major weakness and the engineer found it. Best counter, honestly, is showing a little awareness with the map and the opposing team and being willing to tweak your own build to compensate (for instance, if a map allows for vantage points that are inconvenient for melee builds to get to, don't bring a pure melee build).

>

> Thank you for being one of the few reasonable people in this discussion. He must have healed faster than the burn damaged him, because he'd be up there, then when you'd leave, he'd squirrel down, cap the point and the squirrel back up, just in time for his buddies to come and making getting to him quite difficult. It boils down to it was frustrating, just like any of the other spots.

Everyone else has given you reasonable explanations as to why this is still in the game and how to counter it. So no, I wouldn't say he's the _only_ reasonable person in this discussion. If you choose to play builds with specific weaknesses (no ranged attacks) then you deserve it when another person decides to use it to their advantage.

And no, the fire doesn't burn you. Again, this tactic is extremely easy to counter. Just throw some AoE's up there and the person will be forced to tank it or come down. The fact that no one on your team had AoEs or ranged attacks isn't an issue with the game, it was an issue with the players.

> @"Wilwynd.5798" said:

> **Nobody reads anymore**. My team was almost entirely comprised of melee range attackers. I did use Feedback, the Engineer just evades or absorbs it. Also, Considering I'd have to leave the point to climb up the stairs to then jump down, if I'm not chilled or crippled and nuked by the enemy team by that point, to end his obnoxious attacking is ridiculous in a Conquest Game Mode, where the object of the game is literally being on the point. The Engineer would set up camp and take shots from there. No one on my team was equipped to handle the heavy hitters on the enemy team **and** the annoyance of the Engineer out of attacking reach. **It is a disadvantageous spot**. This season is already difficult with wacky match ups, making this spot all the more frustrating.

> _People love to jump to "flaming" insults before considering any of the points made. Welcome to the internet._

People read. They just think that having an entire team with no ranged is silly. It doesn't happen often anyway. Rewriting the game because people aren't aware enough to bring a ranged weapon is just not on. There are times when having a ranged weapon is useful.

If you have an entire team with no ranged weapons, that your problem not the games. The game gives you a place for a ranged weapon. You made the decision not to take one.

> @"Wilwynd.5798" said:

Hon, i'm sorry but the spot really isnt the problem. If you ran up to jump on top of the engi then they wouldve either a) stayed, shooting until you came along to fight them or b) jumped down to decap. In case of b you could easily reach them before they decapped the point, then also being able to fight them as they were on the ground.

Almost all spots of this kind thrive of one thing; lack of focus. Leave a deadeye on a ledge to freecast, or a ranger, or any build that can do damage without closing the gap and its ultimately your teams fault for allowing them to freecast.

Truth is there are plenty of ways you could've taken care of the situation. A smart player uses the environment to their advantage, this is not cheating or playing unfair. It is strategic postioning.

> @"Wilwynd.5798" said:

> Just finished a match in Temple of the Silent Storm map, and an obnoxious Scrapper Engineer was perched up on a brazier next to Gate. They were out of reach from all of the melee ranged attacks and we didn't have anyone with good long range DPS.

> Please do something, like make it an actually fire with Nuke worthy damage to keep people off of those braziers. ![](https://i.imgur.com/2k7LMOz.jpg "")

>

>

Jumping Puzzles and opportunity to use them are one of the coolest things in SPvP. We need more of them, not less.

You should check out some videos on Jumping Puzzles. I know WoodenPotatoes's Game of the Day series talks about tons of them. They would blow your mind.