billed 3x for 1 purchase, cant get refund due to 30 days policy (solved)

I purchased expansions on June 27, got billed 3x, and submitted a complaint using email on August 29. At first the reply was to submit screenshots. After I submitted them, my complaint was rejected due to 30 days policy.

I browsed a bit about Guild Wars 2 return policy and I did find the one mentioning 30 days return. This makes me think that probably there was something explaining that policy in the purchase menu and I checked it.

Then I read the forums and found out that many return requests are from people who regret purchasing stuff, people who changed their minds and want to cancel their actions. Generally, they get what they wanted.

My complaint is about Guild Wars 2 taking my money 3x for something I purchased once, which is not something I did or something I decided on, so I do expect more generosity when handling complaints like this. Because my complaint wasn't rejected at the first reply, and instead the first reply was the GM trying to help, I was thinking maybe different GMs would have responded to this differently, which is the reason I now posted this in Guild Wars 2 forum to learn about others' perspectives about this issue, and hopefully get another consideration and get my money back.

I believe this was at first a small mistake. However, I also think that if they already know, but don't want to return my money, is that justification of robbery? Again, I probably have checked the policy explanation when I purchased. I don't know what exactly is written about the 30 days policy, does it also completely eliminate solution of issues that arent caused by something I did at all?

Even if I cant get my money back, I would really appreciate explanation. I was thinking about copy pasting the messages here, but I guess it is better not to. The request ID in first reply is 7057848 and the second reply is 7066218.

Thank you.

If you were charged 3 times for one purchase, why did you wait 60 days to file a ticket? Are you sure you were charged 3x for the same item(s)?

You can update your ticket to ask to have the issue escalated to a Senior Team member. Make sure to update the original ticket, rather than creating duplicate tickets on the same issue, as was done before.

You can post copies of the ticket(s) and responses in the forum, if you so desire.

Good luck.

the reason it took so long for me was because i usually dont spend money online, purchasing expansions for this game was the only time i spent money using paypal.

I am sure I was charged three times, there are 3 bills in the same day with different invoice ID, and i checked my money in paypal too. The bills are definitely part of the screenshots I submitted after the first reply. I cant find a way to attach files here.

I didnt know about updating ticket to senior team member, so what I did instead was get help from paypal...

> @"Sixtyfourth.2943" said:

> the reason it took so long for me was because i usually dont spend money online, purchasing expansions for this game was the only time i spent money using paypal.

>

> I am sure I was charged three times, there are 3 bills in the same day with different invoice ID, and i checked my money in paypal too. The bills are definitely part of the screenshots I submitted after the first reply. I cant find a way to attach files here.

>

> I didnt know about updating ticket to senior team member, so what I did instead was get help from paypal...

if you did a charge back for two of the purchases you can have trouble to buy anything from gw2 ever again mate.

I'm betting that they looked into it, and it was that you ended up buying 3 accounts. And it's way paste the time to get a refund.

Also, I use paypal, and I can stil easily see what was charged. There is even an app for a smartphone + using my bank account. Please don't use that as an excuse. It's not hard to see that amount of money was not in your account.

> @"Ellieanna.5027" said:

> I'm betting that they looked into it, and it was that you ended up buying 3 accounts. And it's way paste the time to get a refund.

>

> Also, I use paypal, and I can stil easily see what was charged. There is even an app for a smartphone + using my bank account. Please don't use that as an excuse. It's not hard to see that amount of money was not in your account.

lets say you didnt bet anything. i got only one invoice on june 27, for only one expansion package

also i didnt say paypal is hard, i said i didnt check

> @"Sixtyfourth.2943" said:

> > @"Ellieanna.5027" said:

> > I'm betting that they looked into it, and it was that you ended up buying 3 accounts. And it's way paste the time to get a refund.

> >

> > Also, I use paypal, and I can stil easily see what was charged. There is even an app for a smartphone + using my bank account. Please don't use that as an excuse. It's not hard to see that amount of money was not in your account.

>

> lets say you didnt bet anything. i got only one invoice on june 27, for only one expansion package

>

> also i didnt say paypal is hard, i said i didnt check

No that was to say you might be in trubble for doing so it would have been better to ask to get it elivated as another poster stated.

I mean if you havent used the 2 extra codes, you may get it refunded.

Some people don't sit on their banks/paypals/where they spend their money etc counting every cent they've spent because they can afford not to, maybe he didn't realize until a few weeks later and then submitted a ticket and then when he got through the extremely long backlogged queue of tickets anet was like /nupe? I mean, why assume, why not ask? Either way he shouldn't be responsible for three copies of the games unless he's received three key codes, and activated all three. Surely there are ways to check this, there's no excuse for the type of customer service he's gotten.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Sixtyfourth.2943" said:

> > the reason it took so long for me was because i usually dont spend money online, purchasing expansions for this game was the only time i spent money using paypal.

> >

> > I am sure I was charged three times, there are 3 bills in the same day with different invoice ID, and i checked my money in paypal too. The bills are definitely part of the screenshots I submitted after the first reply. I cant find a way to attach files here.

> >

> > I didnt know about updating ticket to senior team member, so what I did instead was get help from paypal...

>

> if you did a charge back for two of the purchases you can have trouble to buy anything from gw2 ever again mate.

It's easy enough to get your bank to issue you a new number, I mean you have to wait a week for them to print it up it's inconvenient but never again?

> @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Sixtyfourth.2943" said:

> > > the reason it took so long for me was because i usually dont spend money online, purchasing expansions for this game was the only time i spent money using paypal.

> > >

> > > I am sure I was charged three times, there are 3 bills in the same day with different invoice ID, and i checked my money in paypal too. The bills are definitely part of the screenshots I submitted after the first reply. I cant find a way to attach files here.

> > >

> > > I didnt know about updating ticket to senior team member, so what I did instead was get help from paypal...

> >

> > if you did a charge back for two of the purchases you can have trouble to buy anything from gw2 ever again mate.

>

> It's easy enough to get your bank to issue you a new number, I mean you have to wait a week for them to print it up it's inconvenient but never again?

Yes, just taking the money back and therefor not paying for apurchase could have consquences. Escalating the ticket would have been the only right move. The wiki even has an article about this in general:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Support_ticket

> @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Sixtyfourth.2943" said:

> > > the reason it took so long for me was because i usually dont spend money online, purchasing expansions for this game was the only time i spent money using paypal.

> > >

> > > I am sure I was charged three times, there are 3 bills in the same day with different invoice ID, and i checked my money in paypal too. The bills are definitely part of the screenshots I submitted after the first reply. I cant find a way to attach files here.

> > >

> > > I didnt know about updating ticket to senior team member, so what I did instead was get help from paypal...

> >

> > if you did a charge back for two of the purchases you can have trouble to buy anything from gw2 ever again mate.

>

> It's easy enough to get your bank to issue you a new number, I mean you have to wait a week for them to print it up it's inconvenient but never again?

usualy the new card is tied to the old card so that dont help much mate.

> @"Schnuschnu.9857" said:

> > @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Sixtyfourth.2943" said:

> > > > the reason it took so long for me was because i usually dont spend money online, purchasing expansions for this game was the only time i spent money using paypal.

> > > >

> > > > I am sure I was charged three times, there are 3 bills in the same day with different invoice ID, and i checked my money in paypal too. The bills are definitely part of the screenshots I submitted after the first reply. I cant find a way to attach files here.

> > > >

> > > > I didnt know about updating ticket to senior team member, so what I did instead was get help from paypal...

> > >

> > > if you did a charge back for two of the purchases you can have trouble to buy anything from gw2 ever again mate.

> >

> > It's easy enough to get your bank to issue you a new number, I mean you have to wait a week for them to print it up it's inconvenient but never again?

>

> Yes, just taking the money back and therefor not paying for apurchase could have consquences. Escalating the ticket would have been the only right move. The wiki even has an article about this in general:

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Support_ticket

how do i escalate a ticket? the wiki doesnt say that. i also dont know what to update the ticket with because i provided all the screenshots after their first reply

> @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> Some people don't sit on their banks/paypals/where they spend their money etc counting every cent they've spent because they can afford not to, maybe he didn't realize until a few weeks later and then submitted a ticket and then when he got through the extremely long backlogged queue of tickets anet was like /nupe? I mean, why assume, why not ask? Either way he shouldn't be responsible for three copies of the games unless he's received three key codes, and activated all three. Surely there are ways to check this, there's no excuse for the type of customer service he's gotten.

It wasn't a few weeks, it was over 60 days. That's almost 8 weeks. That is a long time to not check your accounts.

And just because you don't need to count every cent doesn't mean you shouldn't look at all your statements at least once a month. How else are you going to realize say someone stole your credit card and was making purchases you didn't authorize.

Or say a charge shows up on your cell phone bill you didn't know about?

I can go on with examples as to why you could check bills and statements.

It's not about ensuring you don't go broke, it's also to make sure mistakes don't happen.

> > Some people don't sit on their banks/paypals/where they spend their money etc counting every cent they've spent because they can afford not to, maybe he didn't realize until a few weeks later and then submitted a ticket and then when he got through the extremely long backlogged queue of tickets anet was like /nupe? I mean, why assume, why not ask? Either way he shouldn't be responsible for three copies of the games unless he's received three key codes, and activated all three. Surely there are ways to check this, there's no excuse for the type of customer service he's gotten.

>

> It wasn't a few weeks, it was over 60 days. That's almost 8 weeks. That is a long time to not check your accounts.

> And just because you don't need to count every cent doesn't mean you shouldn't look at all your statements at least once a month. How else are you going to realize say someone stole your credit card and was making purchases you didn't authorize.

> Or say a charge shows up on your cell phone bill you didn't know about?

> I can go on with examples as to why you could check bills and statements.

>

> It's not about ensuring you don't go broke, it's also to make sure mistakes don't happen.

The issues are rare enough that most people don't think about it, especially with modern banks stopping fraudulent over spending anyways.

Exactly, unless my cellphone bill is like $80-$100 over the normal amount I don't even look at it every month, I just pay it, because a couple bucks this way or that way doesn't make a difference to me. And I've found that when I did look at it when it was that much over the amount the charges were valid, and I just didn't know the cost of the international calls I was making. Unless you're pinching pennies there is usually no reason to immediately reconcile your bank statements because banks have services to watch out for unusual purchases. If I travel, even if I tell my bank I'm going to, my card usually gets flagged at some point during the trip. Sometimes if I make a purchase online even if I'm a regular online purchaser, something about the purchase flags my card, like "hey! you usually buy this in store!" So I don't feel the need to hawk my money. And also there's not really a 60 day statute of limitations on fraud with my bank, if someone rips me off, I get my money back and they will fight it, end of story. That's why I am secure that when all else fails with a vendor in being ripped off, I know my bank will go to bat for me. That and the fact they have customer service reps who answer the phone literally 24 hours a day make my bank a winner. I did have a friend who had Wells Fargo though and they refused to do any fraud investigation or give him his money back, he literally had to go to the store, have them pull the camera of the card being used prove it wasn't him and have them send it to the bank in order to get his money back. I don't envy him.

> @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> Exactly, unless my cellphone bill is like $80-$100 over the normal amount I don't even look at it every month, I just pay it, because a couple bucks this way or that way doesn't make a difference to me. And I've found that when I did look at it when it was that much over the amount the charges were valid, and I just didn't know the cost of the international calls I was making. Unless you're pinching pennies there is usually no reason to immediately reconcile your bank statements because banks have services to watch out for unusual purchases. If I travel, even if I tell my bank I'm going to, my card usually gets flagged at some point during the trip. Sometimes if I make a purchase online even if I'm a regular online purchaser, something about the purchase flags my card, like "hey! you usually buy this in store!" So I don't feel the need to hawk my money. And also there's not really a 60 day statute of limitations on fraud with my bank, if someone rips me off, I get my money back and they will fight it, end of story. That's why I am secure that when all else fails with a vendor in being ripped off, I know my bank will go to bat for me. That and the fact they have customer service reps who answer the phone literally 24 hours a day make my bank a winner. I did have a friend who had Wells Fargo though and they refused to do any fraud investigation or give him his money back, he literally had to go to the store, have them pull the camera of the card being used prove it wasn't him and have them send it to the bank in order to get his money back. I don't envy him.

My mom's credit card number was stolen in New York City once. She found out because she was called about a $250 stereo purchase in New York that was flagged and declined. They missed the 3 gas purchases, which showed up on the invoice at the end of the month. If she had not checked, she would have paid for it, and it would have just disappeared.

Take it as you will, but no system is 100% perfect in catching everything. And no, she didn't go to New York often, maybe once every couple of years for work. We live in Canada.

sure i should have checked paypal often and could have complained before 30 days, i know this is not enough to defend not checking, but buying gw2 expansions is still the only time i have spent money using paypal

and back to my complaint. is this even refund? because i only bought 1 set of expansions, they emailed me invoice of 1 set, but they took money for 3 sets. a quick google search tells me refund is me intentionally buying 3 sets, but for some reasons am not satisfied and want to return it.

> > Some people don't sit on their banks/paypals/where they spend their money etc counting every cent they've spent because they can afford not to, maybe he didn't realize until a few weeks later and then submitted a ticket and then when he got through the extremely long backlogged queue of tickets anet was like /nupe? I mean, why assume, why not ask? Either way he shouldn't be responsible for three copies of the games unless he's received three key codes, and activated all three. Surely there are ways to check this, there's no excuse for the type of customer service he's gotten.

>

> It wasn't a few weeks, it was over 60 days. That's almost 8 weeks. That is a long time to not check your accounts.

> And just because you don't need to count every cent doesn't mean you shouldn't look at all your statements at least once a month. How else are you going to realize say someone stole your credit card and was making purchases you didn't authorize.

> Or say a charge shows up on your cell phone bill you didn't know about?

> I can go on with examples as to why you could check bills and statements.

>

> It's not about ensuring you don't go broke, it's also to make sure mistakes don't happen.

Time is entirely beside the point when we are talking about erroneous charges that were made entirely from the vendor's side and which they have full discretion over. But for the record most payment processors (Visa/MC) stipulate 120 days to file disputes, so 60 is well within reason.