Is ArenaNet getting DDOS'd again?

draxynnic.3719

Just lost a game because the game crashed right after we'd secured Tranq, and when I got back in, it turned out that two other members of my team were also out, so I'm pretty sure the issue was on ArenaNet's end rather than just coincidence. Basically, the match was evidently decided based on who's team managed to log back in faster.

Nevertheless, I got a big loss of ranking, AND dishonour just to add insult to injury.

Is ArenaNet coming under DDOS attack like it was a few months ago? If there's a particular time of the day I should avoid playing ranked to prevent this garbage from reoccuring, it would be good to know.

> @"Devilman.1532" said:

> Anet has been the target of several DDOS attacks in the past. The last curiously after they gave certain match manipulating scum a season ban.

Indeed. I recall a period - late last year, I think - when ArenaNet was regularly getting DDOS attacks at a particular time (about an hour or two after reset, I think) - which basically meant that you didn't play around that time unless you were happy playing with lots of lag and the occasional disconnect.

Hence this thread, because if that is happening again, it would be good to know.

(As it turns out, my own Internet was flaky itself for a while afterwards, but having at least two other team members drop at around the same time, and likely some from the other team since when I got back in we weren't losing as badly as a 2v5 should be, strongly suggests that the problem there wasn't at my end.)

> @"Devilman.1532" said:

> Anet has been the target of several DDOS attacks in the past. The last curiously after they gave certain match manipulating scum a season ban.

Hey look, a worse conspiracy theory than flat Earth.

GW2, more specifically, AWS, is pretty hardy against ddos attacks. Not that they’ll never experience issues but any hiccup, blip, beep, sweeps, or creeps is not a direct attack on gw2 servers.

L3 is one of the biggest backbone providers in the US and they’re usually targeted at vulnerable nodes where a good portion of traffic routes through. Case in point, last year when NCSoft games were experiencing issues because an L3 node was being ddos attacked.

> @"phokus.8934" said:

> > @"Devilman.1532" said:

> > Anet has been the target of several DDOS attacks in the past. The last curiously after they gave certain match manipulating scum a season ban.

> Hey look, a worse conspiracy theory than flat Earth.

>

> GW2, more specifically, AWS, is pretty hardy against ddos attacks. Not that they’ll never experience issues but any hiccup, blip, beep, sweeps, or creeps is not a direct attack on gw2 servers.

>

> L3 is one of the biggest backbone providers in the US and they’re usually targeted at vulnerable nodes where a good portion of traffic routes through. Case in point, last year when NCSoft games were experiencing issues because an L3 node was being ddos attacked.

>

You haven't been around long have you? It no conspiracy theory. Google and the search function on this board are your friend.

> @"Devilman.1532" said:

> > @"phokus.8934" said:

> > > @"Devilman.1532" said:

> > > Anet has been the target of several DDOS attacks in the past. The last curiously after they gave certain match manipulating scum a season ban.

> > Hey look, a worse conspiracy theory than flat Earth.

> >

> > GW2, more specifically, AWS, is pretty hardy against ddos attacks. Not that they’ll never experience issues but any hiccup, blip, beep, sweeps, or creeps is not a direct attack on gw2 servers.

> >

> > L3 is one of the biggest backbone providers in the US and they’re usually targeted at vulnerable nodes where a good portion of traffic routes through. Case in point, last year when NCSoft games were experiencing issues because an L3 node was being ddos attacked.

> >

>

> You haven't been around long have you? It no conspiracy theory. Google and the search function on this board are your friend.

That was back before ArenaNet switched from NCSoft's servers to the Amazon AWS servers.

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"Devilman.1532" said:

> > > @"phokus.8934" said:

> > > > @"Devilman.1532" said:

> > > > Anet has been the target of several DDOS attacks in the past. The last curiously after they gave certain match manipulating scum a season ban.

> > > Hey look, a worse conspiracy theory than flat Earth.

> > >

> > > GW2, more specifically, AWS, is pretty hardy against ddos attacks. Not that they’ll never experience issues but any hiccup, blip, beep, sweeps, or creeps is not a direct attack on gw2 servers.

> > >

> > > L3 is one of the biggest backbone providers in the US and they’re usually targeted at vulnerable nodes where a good portion of traffic routes through. Case in point, last year when NCSoft games were experiencing issues because an L3 node was being ddos attacked.

> > >

> >

> > You haven't been around long have you? It no conspiracy theory. Google and the search function on this board are your friend.

>

> That was back before ArenaNet switched from NCSoft's servers to the Amazon AWS servers.

The new servers are far from immune.