Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

I am a little confused about the bots/hackers/whatever caused any issues. Can someone explain why it was bad for the players?

1. Shirts. Sure farm all the shirts you want. They were free. All you needed to do was put a time limit on the use of the code at the end of the month. Hence the bots would have thousands of codes that the players could also get for free. What is the harm?

2. Upgrade game codes. Now, this is more serious since it would get the bot more power in the game than the free version. BUT, you needed to win that with a picture. So that would require an original picture (hopefully geotagged), and check that IPS does not have a thousand entries. I know that can be masked, but the trouble to mask, fix a picture, and hope to win seem like a waste of time to hackers. And also set the coded to expire.

3. As far as I know ( and I am not a lawyer) there may be an Issue for Kung Fu Tea to make you buy a drink to win the Game upgrade. To my understanding that would break the gambling law in the US, so all contests like this have to be No Purchase Necessary. Otherwise it is considered gambling. Hum, I wonder how Anet gets away with selling keys for Black Lion Chests?

4. Finally is it legal for them to exclude countries outside the US? Sure, but they really should have stated that up front.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Nash.3974" said:

> > @"kurfu.5623" said:

> > C'mon, Anet... do the right thing. You've done it before, you can do it again:

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Guard_Outfit

>

> Just because you didn’t get what you weren’t even supposed to get in the first place, doesn’t mean anet should give it to everyone for free. Don’t worry at some point in the future you will get the chance to get yours, but the people from EU weren’t supposed to get the shirt anyways. It was a humble mistake which shouldn’t cause this rage. Nobody on NA ever complained about the T-shirt’s that were given at gamescom, a gamer event in Cologne Germany. So why do you make these outrageous comments?

> Every single one of you is so kitten greedy over some pixels I can’t believe it. Give anet a break.

>

> Edit: this comes from someone on the EU side who wants the outfit as well. But I don’t think it’s appropriate to demand free outfit codes just because of one mistake.

> I think it’s only fair that NA also gets some exclusive promo rewards because EU had them as well. NA would have needed to travel thousands of miles as well to get access to the rewards from gamescom.

Idk, to me giving free things out to people at conventions is fair, players go all the way from wherever they're from, spending all that travel money, and ticket money, to support devs or the team of a game in-person. I have no issue with that. Free stuff is always given out at conventions, I mean you pay the premium for something in-return. But giving out things freely online on an app, where you could easily give it out to the entire playerbase, or give the entire playerbase a chance, is ridiculous, it makes no sense. It's like favoritism.

> @"Angelica Dream.7103" said:

> I am a little confused about the bots/hackers/whatever caused any issues. Can someone explain why it was bad for the players?

>

> 1. Shirts. Sure farm all the shirts you want. They were free. All you needed to do was put a time limit on the use of the code at the end of the month. Hence the bots would have thousands of codes that the players could also get for free. What is the harm?

>

> 2. Upgrade game codes. Now, this is more serious since it would get the bot more power in the game than the free version. BUT, you needed to win that with a picture. So that would require an original picture (hopefully geotagged), and check that IPS does not have a thousand entries. I know that can be masked, but the trouble to mask, fix a picture, and hope to win seem like a waste of time to hackers. And also set the coded to expire.

>

> 3. As far as I know ( and I am not a lawyer) there may be an Issue for Kung Fu Tea to make you buy a drink to win the Game upgrade. To my understanding that would break the gambling law in the US, so all contests like this have to be No Purchase Necessary. Otherwise it is considered gambling. Hum, I wonder how Anet gets away with selling keys for Black Lion Chests?

>

> 4. Finally is it legal for them to exclude countries outside the US? Sure, but they really should have stated that up front.

>

The 'upgrade game code' was given free as DLC; no need to win that, just link to social media account. You may be confusing the Heroic Edition game code (Core only and comes with the Dragon Outfit code) with the Deluxe GW2 bundle (Core + HOT + POF), which is available through the sweepstakes and requires a purchase.

> I am a little confused about the bots/hackers/whatever caused any issues. Can someone explain why it was bad for the players?

>

> 1. Shirts. Sure farm all the shirts you want. They were free. All you needed to do was put a time limit on the use of the code at the end of the month. Hence the bots would have thousands of codes that the players could also get for free. What is the harm?

>

> 2. Upgrade game codes. Now, this is more serious since it would get the bot more power in the game than the free version. BUT, you needed to win that with a picture. So that would require an original picture (hopefully geotagged), and check that IPS does not have a thousand entries. I know that can be masked, but the trouble to mask, fix a picture, and hope to win seem like a waste of time to hackers. And also set the coded to expire.

>

> 3. As far as I know ( and I am not a lawyer) there may be an Issue for Kung Fu Tea to make you buy a drink to win the Game upgrade. To my understanding that would break the gambling law in the US, so all contests like this have to be No Purchase Necessary. Otherwise it is considered gambling. Hum, I wonder how Anet gets away with selling keys for Black Lion Chests?

>

> 4. Finally is it legal for them to exclude countries outside the US? Sure, but they really should have stated that up front.

>

Before the paused the sweepstakes, you got a guaranteed heroic code, free for linking your social media account to your KFT app. This was separate from the deluxe prizes they were giving out. Bots were making KFT and Twitter/Instagram accounts trying to hammer out as many free heroic codes as they could. This would turn a free account into a paid account so people could farm the log in rewards.

Anet has been going around banning accounts that were abusing this in mass, but some serious quality check was missed if they did not see this coming. I suspect when it goes back up there will be a specific code that does now allow a free account to become a paid account and still get the heroic skin/booster bonuses.

If i was them. I would go as far as to ban/remove the heroic code on all accounts created after Sept 1st. There are people that have 100s of them because there was also a server error that gave them out for every attempt people made to sync their social media account to this buggy app. It is a huge mess for Anet and KFT.

> @"Neutra.6857" said:

> So random question but what happens if you already have the deluxe code on your account but want the outfit?

They are two separate codes. If your account already has Heroic status (which is different from today's Deluxe status), you will just get some Guild Influence. If it doesn't, you get all the goodies (Armor, bag, boosters). The Outfit code is redeemed in-game. The 'upgrade' code is redeemed in 'My Account', outside the game.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Nash.3974" said:

> > > @"kurfu.5623" said:

> > > C'mon, Anet... do the right thing. You've done it before, you can do it again:

> > >

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Guard_Outfit

> >

> > Just because you didn’t get what you weren’t even supposed to get in the first place, doesn’t mean anet should give it to everyone for free. Don’t worry at some point in the future you will get the chance to get yours, but the people from EU weren’t supposed to get the shirt anyways. It was a humble mistake which shouldn’t cause this rage. Nobody on NA ever complained about the T-shirt’s that were given at gamescom, a gamer event in Cologne Germany. So why do you make these outrageous comments?

> > Every single one of you is so kitten greedy over some pixels I can’t believe it. Give anet a break.

> >

> > Edit: this comes from someone on the EU side who wants the outfit as well. But I don’t think it’s appropriate to demand free outfit codes just because of one mistake.

> > I think it’s only fair that NA also gets some exclusive promo rewards because EU had them as well. NA would have needed to travel thousands of miles as well to get access to the rewards from gamescom.

>

> If...IF...KFT made a mistake, and forgot to include the statement that the DLC part of the promotion was for US-players only, why wouldn't they have set the app up to only accept US entries? Does one suppose just writing some words would keep people from trying to get the codes? I mean, sure, some people would not try, but once someone outside the US tried and found out they _could_ get codes, and posted anywhere about it, the flood-gates would have opened. Same with ArenaNet; if they had known it was supposed to be US-only, why was it in the launcher world-wide, and why were codes from anywhere but the US able to be used to upgrade accounts? Don't tell me that ArenaNet doesn't know where game accounts are based.

>

> It looks to me, personally, that KFT changed the rules mid-stream. And that's not a good look.

That would be me. I saw the promotion advertised on here, read an article on an MMO site and the announcement on the GW2 launcher and it never occurred to me that I should go to the tea company's social media pages to check the terms and conditions first. I'd expect anything that important to be shown to me as I was going through the process (plenty of websites and apps make you accept the terms and conditions when you sign up) or for it to simply be hidden/not work when it became apparent I'm not in the USA.

>

>

>

>

>

1) Farming the shirts isn't an issue. The problem is people were selling the codes on ebay to people who didn't know about the promotion or couldn't get a code because the app was overwhelmed...partially by the people farming codes to sell. For the first few days there was nothing to say the codes had an expiry date so I'm sure some people were planning to get as many as possible and sell them off gradually after the promotion. Not strictly illegal but not a good deal for players.

2) There were 2 separate promotions for game codes. The one which required you to take a picture of a drink in store was to be entered in a prize draw to win a Deluxe copy of HoT and PoF. But there was also a code available through the app for the Heroic edition of the base game - which is a full version with none of the F2P restrictions and with a few extra items (mainly a gem store armour set). This was the big issue because these codes can be used to create full accounts which (after the 5 day wait time) can trade items and gold with other players and so are very useful for gold sellers.

3) I'm not familiar with US gambling laws in that much detail. But does that mean you can't, for example, run a contest in a magazine - because you'd have to buy the magazine to enter? Strictly speaking you're not paying to enter the contest, you're paying for a drink and then have the option to enter the prize draw. In the UK that wouldn't be classed as gambling but I'm not sure about the USA.

4) It's absolutely legal to run a promotion which excludes certain countries. It's actually fairly common because the laws on what you can and can't do vary so much it's usually easier to do one in just 1 country, or even 1 state if laws can vary between states like in the USA. I think as long as you don't run into discrimination laws you can restrict it to whoever you like. For example you could say you have to be part of a club, or attending a specific school, but you couldn't say it's only open to white people.

I'm not sure if you can change the terms and conditions after the promotion has started, and I suspect that also varies by country.

>

>

>

>

>

Just by linking your social media account you get two things: the shirt DLC and a game upgrade code. If you participate in the sweepstakes (and win) by posting a pic you get a different game upgrade code (one with more DLC).

> @"Nash.3974" said:

> Just because you didn’t get what you weren’t even supposed to get in the first place, doesn’t mean anet should give it to everyone for free.

Prior to the US-only change, the outfit was available for free for anyone who wanted it. Putting it on the gem store for free would be no different. Gaile had previously said that there was no rush since it lasts 30 days -- what now? ArenaNet obviously didn't intend for it to be limited to the US, considering they bothered to translate and advertise it to everyone, so they will likely offer an alternative if KFT fails to solve the problem.

> Nobody on NA ever complained about the T-shirt’s that were given at gamescom, a gamer event in Cologne Germany.

Both NA and EU complained ~6 years ago when they were handing out the codes at gamescom. It didn't go so well, so ArenaNet gave the codes to EU fan sites instead. NA also complained about that, with the expectation that they would do the same for NA, but they never did.

"Wow you got 122 codes looool see now they gonna say you use dodgy way to get the codes or u hacked it but clearly it's the ap that has the problem.. I got only 5 codes after trying a little while only. Crashed each time I tried I gave up like after ten mins."

@"Glider.5792" any chance you will be willing to give me one code? so I can give to GF .

> @"Glider.5792" said:

> > @"Apocaly.2786" said:

> > I am searching for a possibility to get this outfit since the clothing-tonic-change. I even prepared tons of gold to buy it in trading post until I noticed it was the only accountbound tonic. I really hope KFT will enable us to get the rewrds again. :( :( :(

> >

> > Btw.: The promotion is for all people. Not just NA. Some of my EU friends already got it before the "shutdown".

>

> The promotion WAS for all people. Yes, some of us got the codes already, but those that did not now wont be able to since it got changed to NA only.

Where did u find this information? :(

> @"Zoran.4683" said:

> "Wow you got 122 codes looool see now they gonna say you use dodgy way to get the codes or u hacked it but clearly it's the ap that has the problem.. I got only 5 codes after trying a little while only. Crashed each time I tried I gave up like after ten mins."

> @"Glider.5792" any chance you will be willing to give me one code? so I can give to GF .

>

>

Which is precisely what they are doing on their facebook. Blaming "hackers and bots" when people get multiple codes when everyone knows it is because people were trying to continually connect all weekend.

They also keep to the line about if you had submitted a request. Not answering what if you connected to a social media account and did not get the offer they said we would get (which is most people).

> @"Apocaly.2786" said:

> > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > > @"Apocaly.2786" said:

> > > I am searching for a possibility to get this outfit since the clothing-tonic-change. I even prepared tons of gold to buy it in trading post until I noticed it was the only accountbound tonic. I really hope KFT will enable us to get the rewrds again. :( :( :(

> > >

> > > Btw.: The promotion is for all people. Not just NA. Some of my EU friends already got it before the "shutdown".

> >

> > The promotion WAS for all people. Yes, some of us got the codes already, but those that did not now wont be able to since it got changed to NA only.

>

> Where did u find this information? :(

In the original post (before they changed it).

Look at dulfy's website, the old version was there 1 or 2 days ago

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Zoran.4683" said:

> > "Wow you got 122 codes looool see now they gonna say you use dodgy way to get the codes or u hacked it but clearly it's the ap that has the problem.. I got only 5 codes after trying a little while only. Crashed each time I tried I gave up like after ten mins."

> > @"Glider.5792" any chance you will be willing to give me one code? so I can give to GF .

> >

> >

>

> Which is precisely what they are doing on their facebook. Blaming "hackers and bots" when people get multiple codes when everyone knows it is because people were trying to continually connect all weekend.

>

> They also keep to the line about if you had submitted a request. Not answering what if you connected to a social media account and did not get the offer they said we would get (which is most people).

well I have conected acc and all of it, got reward, tryed to claim and APP is ( claiming your reward) , reward gone and never got the msg with code, now they put is for US only ( me and GF are from EU).. same goes with my GF. I was just asking if he would like to share 1 with me (anet approved) they said its ok to share . I would liek to give it to her she wanted it so much. I didnt mean anything bad

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> They also keep to the line about if you had submitted a request. Not answering what if you connected to a social media account and did not get the offer they said we would get (which is most people).

After this mess started i made ticket to KFT and all i get was 2 automatic responses. First that they recived ticket and will find some person, secound with kindly ask how does the help goes on. Just Lol. We all could make a tickets to Anet and proppably response would be the same or not at all. Its jsut sad as i spended many gems in GW2, also from real money and they couldnt make normal gift for EU players. Seriously Starbucks would be much more greater like some1 here mentioned.

> @"Jitsuryoku.9038" said:

> > @"Apocaly.2786" said:

> > > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > > > @"Apocaly.2786" said:

> > > > I am searching for a possibility to get this outfit since the clothing-tonic-change. I even prepared tons of gold to buy it in trading post until I noticed it was the only accountbound tonic. I really hope KFT will enable us to get the rewrds again. :( :( :(

> > > >

> > > > Btw.: The promotion is for all people. Not just NA. Some of my EU friends already got it before the "shutdown".

> > >

> > > The promotion WAS for all people. Yes, some of us got the codes already, but those that did not now wont be able to since it got changed to NA only.

> >

> > Where did u find this information? :(

>

> In the original post (before they changed it).

> Look at dulfy's website, the old version was there 1 or 2 days ago

The original post only says the sweepstakes is limited to US residents only. They are not talking about the outfit tho. Even the statement of KFT is not saying anything about being restricted to US only. They were just talking about stoppoing the Outfit-Code completly for now. Not even once mentioned that they will only activate it for US somewhen again. So technically as EU ppl we still should be able to get this.

> @"Bee.7081" said:

> Dear ANet, we'd really like to see your official statement about this issue with the KFT promo.

So would I but I would not advise anyone holding their breath. As soon as we saw the terms change that meant it had gone well beyond a technical issue and I would not be shocked if a few terse phone calls were being exchanged now. Most probably with lawyers involved somewhere.

Once that happens I doubt we will hear anything from anet until kft gets their act together and releases a statement.

If you look at the bottom of this:

https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/2018/8/31/guildwars2sweepstakes

They tell you to contact 'info@popdeem.com' for help. If you contact them, they say they escalated your request to 'Social Rewards'. Then, they send you an email asking how your support experience was. I notice 'Social Rewards' is the name of the company associated with my Instagram account. So 'Social Rewards' is a 'third' company involved? So much so 'PopDeem' (now...is that KFT, or a 'fourth' company?) says they are the only ones who can answer question regarding problems not seeing the GW2 social promo (realizing, of course, that KFT says on that same link that it's down, I was just curious to see what would happen if I contacted that email with an issue)?