Raptor race for life / Leaving Instance

Same problem here, during raptor race in "storm tracker" mission i can't even get close to the first arch where glint leads me to when game marks i'm leaving playable area and kills me, if i do that many times the game screen turns black forcing me to shut down the game and after it a window with a message that game data is damaged and asks me to allow it to fix it, if i say yes it starts doing something and then the window turns non responsive, forcing me again to shut down the process and the game is still stuck in the same area

As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

> ****

>

> It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

>

> First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

>

> Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

>

> After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

>

> You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

>

> And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

>

> I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

>

> I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

I'm pretty sure it's broken when I am told I am no longer in the instance area when the mini map clearly shows me smack dab in the middle of it.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

> > ****

> >

> > It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

> >

> > First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

> >

> > Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

> >

> > After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

> >

> > You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

> >

> > And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

> >

> > I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

> >

> > I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

>

> I'm pretty sure it's broken when I am told I am no longer in the instance area when the mini map clearly shows me smack dab in the middle of it.

It’s not broken if you’re going the wrong way. You jump from platform to platform. Did you see the ones leading east?

Yep, after extensive testing (and dieing) there is not a shred of doubt that this thing is just _extremely_ broken. The non-playable area even "wanders", so you never know where you can or can not be on a given retry. Sometimes you get to the arches, or at least almost, sometimes you are killed immediately. It is even different between multiple players in the same instance.

I _guess_ the mechanic is so that you are forced to move ahead of the storm or be killed, but it does not work that way. You can actually charge _into_ the deadly area, because it is not where the storm is, but somewhere apparently not completely random but certainly not where it is supposed to be either.

I have to wonder why instances use the "kick if you leave the playable area" system in the first place. I have accidentally travelled outside the instance several times and often it's a leap so you can't even stop yourself, the message pops up so close to the actual kick zone.

Why not just use the same mechanic that is used for invisible walls in the water and push players back?

For those having trouble with this instance, I found going left of the initial archway on the raptor, leaping and then following the magic dots will get you there.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

> > > ****

> > >

> > > It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

> > >

> > > First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

> > >

> > > Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

> > >

> > > After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

> > >

> > > You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

> > >

> > > And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

> > >

> > > I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

> > >

> > > I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

> >

> > I'm pretty sure it's broken when I am told I am no longer in the instance area when the mini map clearly shows me smack dab in the middle of it.

>

> It’s not broken if you’re going the wrong way. You jump from platform to platform. Did you see the ones leading east?

This bug happens before you even get anywhere near the platforms.

So apparently here is what we did. I was browsing the forums and died to the storm. THEN my friend who was in the instance with me was able to carry on and complete it. Obviously I didn't get the achievement then but at least we can now continue the story.

We also tried it with her dying but that did not work. I guess it is me specifically who is bugged.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

> > > > ****

> > > >

> > > > It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

> > > >

> > > > First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

> > > >

> > > > Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

> > > >

> > > > After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

> > > >

> > > > You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

> > > >

> > > > And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

> > > >

> > > > I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

> > > >

> > > > I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

> > >

> > > I'm pretty sure it's broken when I am told I am no longer in the instance area when the mini map clearly shows me smack dab in the middle of it.

> >

> > It’s not broken if you’re going the wrong way. You jump from platform to platform. Did you see the ones leading east?

>

> This bug happens before you even get anywhere near the platforms.

I repeated that sequence of the instance multiple times as I was having hardware issues. Not once did I die because I was out of bounds. A couple times I did die under that first arch but it’s clearly indicated there’s a hazard there with the orange field.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> You died at the arches because they collapsed on you.

>

> The non-playable area that kicks you out is clearly indicated on the map and you also get a warning.

>

> I don’t think the storm was ever meant to be deadly in the first place. The storm follows the pace of the achievement.

Then you are seeing something we aren't. There's no collapsing arch, no visual cues just "you are outside of the instance area and will be killed"

I refuse to believe anet _**intended**_ this to be part of any puzzle, This instance is bugged to hell and I hope it's patched immediately.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

> > > > > ****

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

> > > > >

> > > > > First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

> > > > >

> > > > > Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

> > > > >

> > > > > After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

> > > > >

> > > > > You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

> > > > >

> > > > > And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

> > > >

> > > > I'm pretty sure it's broken when I am told I am no longer in the instance area when the mini map clearly shows me smack dab in the middle of it.

> > >

> > > It’s not broken if you’re going the wrong way. You jump from platform to platform. Did you see the ones leading east?

> >

> > This bug happens before you even get anywhere near the platforms.

>

> I repeated that sequence of the instance multiple times as I was having hardware issues. Not once did I die because I was out of bounds. A couple times I did die under that first arch but it’s clearly indicated there’s a hazard there with the orange field.

Then you did not encounter the bug.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> As a tl;dr you can mostly take your time moving, even though the game suggests you have to rush. Slow & steady will work; don't rush.

> ****

>

> It's not broken, but it's more than mildly quirky.

>

> First, you have to be on raptor. There's a text prompt in the upper right hand corner, but no other indicator that I can see.

>

> Second, before long, you pass the last arrow and the last marker for the path. You have to trust that you're moving in the right direction.

>

> After that, it's like a moderately-timed jumping puzzle, without a clear path and with a variable-length jump. You come to a cliff edge and have to jump between islands. The leaps are too far for standard raptor jumps and so again, you have to trust that they'll take you where you need to go. I didn't see any visual cues, so either use trial and error (very annoying) or do your best to take the most direct leap that will give you the most number of islands down the road (so to speak). Don't go for the shortest jump and, when there's a choice between getting closer to the storm versus farther, head away.

>

> You get a lot of aloft time, so landing is usually easy. But if you mess up the initial jump or don't push your raptor forward, you might not get enough distance.

>

> And finally, there's some room for error. Even with mistakes, it seems possible to beat the time limit.

>

> I think it's a fair JP, but a bad puzzle for a story instance. The views are amazing, the leaps of faith were obvious meant to be awesome, and the time limit meant to keep things exciting. But the quirkiness of the jumping, the awkwardness (and/or completely lack) of the visual cues meant I didn't enjoy it to its full potential.

>

> I don't think they have to change it, but I hope they do. I could have been more fun.

No, it's just broken for a lot of ppl - Update - The mildly quirky not broken instance has now been patched and fixed.

Yup. Broken for me in the exact same way. No matter which way I run, I get the "You are leaving the instance message." I was then able to get past that...once...and make it over the ledge into "mist space" - then nothing. No rift, no visual clue about what to do next.

Yet another awe-inspiring job from the Devs and QA people at Anet. Wow. Just...wow.

the thing is broken... I was getting killed even if I stood idle on my first run...

but this is what I did to get pass the "Instant Death Time Period", but you will not get the achieve because the bug is wasting quite some time.

SO... to ride out the "Instant Death Time Period"

1. Run to the right side of the arch where you see 3 pillars, one of them will collapse as you get close to it; dont get too close to it, wait about 300 range away

2. After the pillar have finished collapsing, it will disappear

3. Once the collapsed pillar has completely disappeared, you are safe to proceed with the rest of the instance.