Please Never Become Like World of Warcraft

Having played and still do a tonne of Guild Wars and now Guild Wars 2, i wanted to say stay true to what you do. The story telling in comparison is fantastic and heart felt. The combat and professions make me feel like a total hero and the community engagement is huge.

In light of WoWs latest expansion which is a grind on all fronts disaster i feel gw2 really puts the player first so it comes down to your engagement being a priority and not time played.

Thanks for forging your own path its not only refreshing but feels like home.

I was sitting in the new map earlier waiting for named champions to spawn that aren't tied to any event and have long respawn timers. I started having WoW flashbacks.

But the nice thing about situations like this in GW2 is that I can throw up a tag and call out in map chat, so anyone else who might need to kill them can rush over. I did that for all of them, and I just waited without starting attacking until someone else did, then all I did was tag and 1111 to give as much time as I could for more people to reach it.

> @"Umut.5471" said:

> They need to solve this elitism and toxicity problem somehow. Some classes unnecessarily outperform others, PvE balancing

> may solve this.

Yeah I was about to say, that just means it's no longer okay for the developers to entirely ignore PvE balance like they did before raids. So to get to a point where I feel GW2 could use input from WoW, the huge imbalances seen there are teensy compared to what we see in GW2.

More so, due to the **millions** of possible character setups possible here, it's utopian to think all of these could perform "adequate". 99,5% **will** be underpowered for any specific game mode.

That's okay. But then, newcomers or in general players who are less into reading up externally and hyperoptimizing need to be shown what to pick and what to avoid, which traits work well with one another, etc. The open world PVE is far too easy to make someone fail and have to consider this (and frankly that's an aspect of it I very much enjoy !), but then there needs to be some other mechanic which acts as an "optimization" tutorial, nevermind a way to figure out what actually works and what doesn't without having to use DPS mods or external sources.

> @"Scar.1793" said:

> There aren’t that many builds btw... .They need to balance between DPS, support and survivability

Unless my memory of combinatorics is wrong, then if we distinguish builds *only* by traits selected, there are 810 distinct builds per class. To be sure, some of them don't make sense, but they exist all the same. If you then add weapon combinations to the mix, the number rises rapidly from there (and becomes lots harder to calculate because the classes don't all have the same number of weapon combinations. Now multiply by the combinations of stat mixes and sigils and runes or other upgrades you can put in your weapons, and it gets a bit hairy. Now multiply that by the number of combinations of healing, utility, and elite skills, and you end up with some *large* numbers of possible builds, many of which are self-contradictory and/or wasteful. (Example: a Guardian build with the trait Zealous Blade equipped, but without a Greatsword equipped at all.)

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Scar.1793" said:

> > There aren’t that many builds btw... .They need to balance between DPS, support and survivability

>

> Unless my memory of combinatorics is wrong, then if we distinguish builds *only* by traits selected, there are 810 distinct builds per class. To be sure, some of them don't make sense, but they exist all the same. If you then add weapon combinations to the mix, the number rises rapidly from there (and becomes lots harder to calculate because the classes don't all have the same number of weapon combinations. Now multiply by the combinations of stat mixes and sigils and runes or other upgrades you can put in your weapons, and it gets a bit hairy. Now multiply that by the number of combinations of healing, utility, and elite skills, and you end up with some *large* numbers of possible builds, many of which are self-contradictory and/or wasteful. (Example: a Guardian build with the trait Zealous Blade equipped, but without a Greatsword equipped at all.)

I was thinking in more general terms as in power/condition/support builds. Traits aren’t balanced and will never be.

> @"Scar.1793" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Scar.1793" said:

> > > There aren’t that many builds btw... .They need to balance between DPS, support and survivability

> >

> > Unless my memory of combinatorics is wrong, then if we distinguish builds *only* by traits selected, there are 810 distinct builds per class. To be sure, some of them don't make sense, but they exist all the same. If you then add weapon combinations to the mix, the number rises rapidly from there (and becomes lots harder to calculate because the classes don't all have the same number of weapon combinations. Now multiply by the combinations of stat mixes and sigils and runes or other upgrades you can put in your weapons, and it gets a bit hairy. Now multiply that by the number of combinations of healing, utility, and elite skills, and you end up with some *large* numbers of possible builds, many of which are self-contradictory and/or wasteful. (Example: a Guardian build with the trait Zealous Blade equipped, but without a Greatsword equipped at all.)

>

> I was thinking in more general terms as in power/condition/support builds. Traits aren’t balanced and will never be.

For sure, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to go through all those 810 trait combinations per class and balance them, but they also need to make sure the P/C/S balance is balanced between classes. There should be a way of using any class you like (or, at the very least, any base class) and being equally effective when configured for, say, Power.