Character Model limit

jishi.7568

Technically it affects both, but the game more heavily bottlenecks on CPU tasking. Throwing a bigger CPU doesn't substantially improve frame rates, unless the CPU is strong in single threaded performance. This makes some of the performance quirks seem counter intuitive; but when you look into it further, its issues stem from "volume of updates" per frame and how the game handles its GPU overhead.

Lowering the model count and limiting LOD on Effects (and/or shadows) has the biggest impact because it reduces the number of things that need to be drawn. But the draw back of this is how the over aggressive culling can't effectively prioritize animations based on "visual importance", since (technically) everything is important combat awareness.

> @"jishi.7568" said:

> Just out of curiosity, Which item is more stressed for this function? Is it the GPU or CPU? They probably both function for this but which one is the main one to carry the load?

It depends on the rest of your settings, if the graphic settings are set to the higher values then it's the GPU (most notably character model quality), otherwise it's mostly the CPU.

I see, thanks for the info. I've been curious this whole time about it, i know it affects FPS a lot but, as some higher end guys mention, sometimes the CPU and GPU aren't maxed out but are limited. i actually agree with you XenoSpyro.1780 . That should be added to a later update, would help alot on the FPS outlook. Well, gonna share a video soon, hope it gets edited without glitches, wanted to show what my build could do at 4k resolution. i still feel like some people seem to believe it's a far reach build to make but it's doable. Well, to me 30fps is minimum for a respectable "it can do it" ,lol

Was curious so i can focus on the overclocks on the part that needed it more, as you will see my gpu is always at 100%.

Recently got myself an i7 8700k to upgrade from my i5 3570k. Framerate massively improved. Character model limit and quality on highest, I get 45+ fps in Lion's Arch, 30+ fps in WvW/meta zergfest, and way above 60 fps anywhere else. Before the upgrade I had to set the limit/quality to lowest/low to be able to play at more than 5 fps in zergs.

On the other hand, last year I upgraded my GPU from a GeForce 770 to a 1070, and there was no difference in the framerate.

> @"Edell.1286" said:

> Recently got myself an i7 8700k to upgrade from my i5 3570k. Framerate massively improved. Character model limit and quality on highest, I get 45+ fps in Lion's Arch, 30+ fps in WvW/meta zergfest, and way above 60 fps anywhere else. Before the upgrade I had to set the limit/quality to lowest/low to be able to play at more than 5 fps in zergs.

>

> On the other hand, last year I upgraded my GPU from a GeForce 770 to a 1070, and there was no difference in the framerate.

>

Guess the CPU really is the culprit then. Thanks for data.