Whats the deal with Gem Shop items rotating?

Amaranthe.3578

It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

>

> But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

Sure but you as an individual don't matter. It's about the general trends. And as long as 1000 players do spend extra, why would they care that you as one person might miss an opportunity to spend left and right? To accommodate you they would miss the extra spending of the 1000 players. Not worth it.

The numbers are of course fictional but you get the idea.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

> >

> > But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

>

> Sure but you as an individual don't matter. It's about the general trends. And as long as 1000 players do spend extra, why would they care that you as one person might miss an opportunity to spend left and right? To accommodate you they would miss the extra spending of the 1000 players. Not worth it.

>

> The numbers are of course fictional but you get the idea.

But obviously there are a lot more sales they miss that way...I guess they think they will miss more sales If it will be available all the time.

I dont think its a 1:1000 ratio but hell even a 1:1.2 ratio is huge.

> > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

> > >

> > > But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

> >

> > Sure but you as an individual don't matter. It's about the general trends. And as long as 1000 players do spend extra, why would they care that you as one person might miss an opportunity to spend left and right? To accommodate you they would miss the extra spending of the 1000 players. Not worth it.

> >

> > The numbers are of course fictional but you get the idea.

>

> But obviously there are a lot more sales they miss that way...I guess they think they will miss more sales If it will be available all the time.

> I dont think its a 1:1000 ratio but hell even a 1:1.2 ratio is huge.

Like I said, the numbers are made up but clearly they are looking for the best situation for their sales. The same goes for their pricing. If something costs 800 gems and they sell 1000 of them that's 8000 gems. Then people complain it's too expensive and more people would buy it if it was 400 gems. But then when they go to 400 gems they sell 1500 of them and that's 6000 gems. So 500 more sales but 2k gems less in revenue. It's the same idea in the end.

Whatever the exact ratio is I'm sure it's not 1:1000 either but it is significant enough to do it the way they do. Simple business decision.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

> > > >

> > > > But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

> > >

> > > Sure but you as an individual don't matter. It's about the general trends. And as long as 1000 players do spend extra, why would they care that you as one person might miss an opportunity to spend left and right? To accommodate you they would miss the extra spending of the 1000 players. Not worth it.

> > >

> > > The numbers are of course fictional but you get the idea.

> >

> > But obviously there are a lot more sales they miss that way...I guess they think they will miss more sales If it will be available all the time.

> > I dont think its a 1:1000 ratio but hell even a 1:1.2 ratio is huge.

>

> Like I said, the numbers are made up but clearly they are looking for the best situation for their sales. The same goes for their pricing. If something costs 800 gems and they sell 1000 of them that's 8000 gems. Then people complain it's too expensive and more people would buy it if it was 400 gems. But then when they go to 400 gems they sell 1500 of them and that's 6000 gems. So 500 more sales but 2k gems less in revenue. It's the same idea in the end.

>

> Whatever the exact ratio is I'm sure it's not 1:1000 either but it is significant enough to do it the way they do. Simple business decision.

Its weird to me that they came to that conclusion, every other MMO I know doesnt use this tactic.

> > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

> > > > >

> > > > > But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

> > > >

> > > > Sure but you as an individual don't matter. It's about the general trends. And as long as 1000 players do spend extra, why would they care that you as one person might miss an opportunity to spend left and right? To accommodate you they would miss the extra spending of the 1000 players. Not worth it.

> > > >

> > > > The numbers are of course fictional but you get the idea.

> > >

> > > But obviously there are a lot more sales they miss that way...I guess they think they will miss more sales If it will be available all the time.

> > > I dont think its a 1:1000 ratio but hell even a 1:1.2 ratio is huge.

> >

> > Like I said, the numbers are made up but clearly they are looking for the best situation for their sales. The same goes for their pricing. If something costs 800 gems and they sell 1000 of them that's 8000 gems. Then people complain it's too expensive and more people would buy it if it was 400 gems. But then when they go to 400 gems they sell 1500 of them and that's 6000 gems. So 500 more sales but 2k gems less in revenue. It's the same idea in the end.

> >

> > Whatever the exact ratio is I'm sure it's not 1:1000 either but it is significant enough to do it the way they do. Simple business decision.

>

> Its weird to me that they came to that conclusion, every other MMO I know doesnt use this tactic.

SWTOR does it. Though you can't compare MMOs to each other that easily. For example some MMOs have sub models which can create a difference. SWTOR does but is struggling so they need the cash shop sales badly. WoW doesn't do that much in the cash shop from what I know but they have a lot of subs and in spite of the complaints millions of people keep coming back to it. So you won't see every game come to the same conclusion is what I'm saying.

I'd be interested to know which MMOs you had in mind though.

> @"PyrateSilly.4710" said:

> It's Marketing 101 --- one of the first things I learned getting my degree in marketing/management was you always change what the customer sees so that they look for it or see it as a temp thing and it then creates the feeling of "I should get this before it's not available anymore"

It also gets people into the gemstore, to see whats, "new," more, thus exposing them to the general merchandise selection more frequently. The more often someone goes into the store the more likely they are to spend money.

> > It gives the feeling that you need to buy it now or else you cannot for a long time or ever since you are not guaranteed it will come back. So that sense of urgency makes you open up your wallet. And so you get new items every week to feel that sense of urgency to spend more on something that is there now.

>

> But if I want something that isnt available right now I cant get it....by the time it becomes available I might miss it or change my mind.

They expect you to log in every day so that you won't miss something you're looking for. Also, when you log in daily you might see something else which you might impluse-buy so that you won't miss it.

Keep [this thread](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/458/news-gemstore-items-new-returned-sales#latest "this thread") handy.