"Everything Has Its Place and Purpose"

Tsakhi.8124

There's something I've always been curious about. Dragons are typically depicted as "evil", but in Tyria, I don't know, they seemed to be corrupted themselves. Please understand that I've only beaten the core story line, so forgive any incorrect assumptions or discrepancies herein. From my understanding, magic flows through Tyria like water, untapped energy with infinite potential, of course, people are going to exploit that, that is the nature of most sentient beings: Survive, prosper, and destroy. In that respect, maybe the dragons don't need to really die as they maybe a balancing point of sorts. I get that Zhaitan was pretty bad in that he corrupted an ossuary and brought a plague of Risen in his wake. However, aren't necromancers, technically doing the same thing? I always saw the dynamics between dragons and human-like figures as the dragon is _guarding_ something. Something of great value. Perhaps that which flows through Tyria possess the very essence of knowledge. So, essentially, the dragons "eating" this excess magic kind of balances things out. I'm not saying that these dragons didn't do horrible things, they did; I just can't help but feel as though, in the grand scheme of things, that the dragons are necessary to keep Tyria both on its feet and out of something they don't need. Knowledge is power and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And I find it strange that the dragons didn't really "wake up" until rulers created a cataclysm which just escalated into a war between human-like creatures and dragons. From what I've read in mythology books and whatnot, is that dragons are guardians, so of course they're going to kill whatever it is that's threatening what they guard. I must apologize, I'm very tired and this may or may not make sense. I apologize in advance if it doesn't.

Blessed be.

> @Tsakhi.8124 said:

> I get that Zhaitan was pretty bad in that he corrupted an ossuary and brought a plague of Risen in his wake. However, aren't necromancers, technically doing the same thing?

Necromancers are not raising an army of undead to slaughter innocents and enslave people to their will by removing the victim's capacity for free will. Necromancers do not try to rule a kingdom of eternal undead through lies and deception.

Well, not all necromancers. You can say Joko is doing exactly that (minus stealing free will, arguably), but he's also evil.

Most of what you bring up is actually explained by the end of Path of Fire. It becomes much more apparent in Season 2 and especially Path of Fire why the Elder Dragons need slaying, beyond the whole "they're killing hundreds of thousands, enslaving them to their will, completely indiscriminately".... And why they shouldn't be killed outright.

Basically, the world depends on them for the regulation of magic, because they are tied to the world via The All / Antikytheria, but they balance magic from one extreme to another without the intention of fulfilling that balance - as we see with Primordus in Season 3 and Kralkatorrik at the end of PoF, they just keep on eating magic and eating magic causing more and more devastation.

They actually each have their own goals and ambitions, visible through minions or the novel narrations, but none of these are related to balancing magic or keeping the world alive. Their connection to The All (which is brought up in Season 2 side content) is ultimately coincidental and is an extra layer of problems for the heroes of the story to deal with.

If the Elder Dragons had their way, they wouldn't be eating excess magic to balance things out. They'd eat excess magic until the world of Tyria itself crumbles into nothingness. And without the intention to do so.

But that said, the Elder Dragons are **not** guardians. Nor are they mindless forces of nature as Tyrians initially believe. They're villains, with their own set of ambitions that harm the common folk, through and through.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @Tsakhi.8124 said:

> > I get that Zhaitan was pretty bad in that he corrupted an ossuary and brought a plague of Risen in his wake. However, aren't necromancers, technically doing the same thing?

>

> Necromancers are not raising an army of undead to slaughter innocents and enslave people to their will by removing the victim's capacity for free will. Necromancers do not try to rule a kingdom of eternal undead through lies and deception.

>

> Well, not all necromancers. You can say Joko is doing exactly that (minus stealing free will, arguably), but he's also evil.

>

> Most of what you bring up is actually explained by the end of Path of Fire. It becomes much more apparent in Season 2 and especially Path of Fire why the Elder Dragons need slaying, beyond the whole "they're killing hundreds of thousands, enslaving them to their will, completely indiscriminately".... And why they shouldn't be killed outright.

>

>

Basically, the world depends on them for the regulation of magic, because they are tied to the world via The All / Antikytheria, but they balance magic from one extreme to another without the intention of fulfilling that balance - as we see with Primordus in Season 3 and Kralkatorrik at the end of PoF, they just keep on eating magic and eating magic causing more and more devastation.

>

> They actually each have their own goals and ambitions, visible through minions or the novel narrations, but none of these are related to balancing magic or keeping the world alive. Their connection to The All (which is brought up in Season 2 side content) is ultimately coincidental and is an extra layer of problems for the heroes of the story to deal with.

>

> If the Elder Dragons had their way, they wouldn't be eating excess magic to balance things out. They'd eat excess magic until the world of Tyria itself crumbles into nothingness. And without the intention to do so.

>

> But that said, the Elder Dragons are **not** guardians. Nor are they mindless forces of nature as Tyrians initially believe. They're villains, with their own set of ambitions that harm the common folk, through and through.

That is so cool! I can't wait to play HoT and PoF. Sadly, I can't afford to get LS 2, at the moment. I could grind for it, but that would take me awhile. (I'm a casual player, I wave at Oakhearts and threaten random NPCs.)

> @Tsakhi.8124 said:

> That is so cool! I can't wait to play HoT and PoF. Sadly, I can't afford to get LS 2, at the moment. I could grind for it, but that would take me awhile. (I'm a casual player, I wave at Oakhearts and threaten random NPCs.)

Well, the great thing about Season 2 is that you can actually play along with someone (like me) who has it unlocked and experience the entire story with their help. You won't get credit for it, or any of the associated achievements, but you can experience the story. If you're on NA, add me to your friend list and send me a whisper or mail and we can set something up. If you're EU... well, I'm sure someone will colunteer to help.

> @Rognik.2579 said:

> > @Tsakhi.8124 said:

> > That is so cool! I can't wait to play HoT and PoF. Sadly, I can't afford to get LS 2, at the moment. I could grind for it, but that would take me awhile. (I'm a casual player, I wave at Oakhearts and threaten random NPCs.)

> Well, the great thing about Season 2 is that you can actually play along with someone (like me) who has it unlocked and experience the entire story with their help. You won't get credit for it, or any of the associated achievements, but you can experience the story. If you're on NA, add me to your friend list and send me a whisper or mail and we can set something up. If you're EU... well, I'm sure someone will colunteer to help.

Sounds like fun! I'll add you once I log on. Thank you so much! (Yep, I live in NA so that shouldn't be a problem.)