Fly

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

You did not read, you answered anything and you claimed everything for nothing ... and, worst of all, you were still stubborn, as if you had not justified my original argument just recently and you just need to argue nonsense ¬¬

It seems you are going to continue, although several tell you that you are wrong and despite what I have just said, but hey ... better I ignore you

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Aavataris.5720" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > >

> > > The fact of your just complaining, without giving arguments, and forcing "problems" does not cause them to destroy the whole game just to extend an interaction that they are already using in certain maps ¬¬

> >

> > Allows you to essentially skip over large parts of the game world making it smaller. Imagine me being able to do map completion by just flying around to avoid all mobs and obstacles and only coming down to do something I need before going back up into the sky. It’d be similar to just having the ability to just teleport from point to point. You’d lose the connection with the gameworld.

> >

> >

>

> I always find this a strange argument. If I'm skipping mobs or areas it's probably because I don't want to encounter them. Why force it?

No challenge = no game.

Any game needs to offer some challenge. Exploration games offer the terrain as one of them.

Will you think the mobs should kill themselves and simply give you the rewards?

This is the same. Facilitating the skipping action so much invalidates even having a map, and the "Joy of Movement" becomes the "Bore of Just Skipping Again".

Of course, there are many that only play for the final rewards, not giving any value to exploration, puzzles, story, combat or anything. They are deeply wrong.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > @"Aavataris.5720" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > >

> > > The fact of your just complaining, without giving arguments, and forcing "problems" does not cause them to destroy the whole game just to extend an interaction that they are already using in certain maps ¬¬

> >

> > Allows you to essentially skip over large parts of the game world making it smaller. Imagine me being able to do map completion by just flying around to avoid all mobs and obstacles and only coming down to do something I need before going back up into the sky. It’d be similar to just having the ability to just teleport from point to point. You’d lose the connection with the gameworld.

> >

> >

>

> I always find this a strange argument. If I'm skipping mobs or areas it's probably because I don't want to encounter them. Why force it?

What you said could be said about anything in the game. There are plenty of things in the games that players don’t want to do but they do for the reward, for example. Should they be able to skip all of that and just get the reward?

> @"Aavataris.5720" said:

>

> You did not read, you answered anything and you claimed everything for nothing ... and, worst of all, you were still stubborn, as if you had not justified my original argument just recently and you just need to argue nonsense ¬¬

>

>

> It seems you are going to continue, although several tell you that you are wrong and despite what I have just said, but hey ... better I ignore you

I did read. You’re the only one that’s telling me wrong about your original intent. The other one or two people are part of the discussion of flying itself.

@"Aavataris.5720" Maybe you should start again with a title like:

"Would you like to have low gravity zones on more places?" (I know I would love it)

This should be more clear than to invite a super controversial topic like flying on MMOs.

Also reacting defensively against people don't help your arguments.

¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

> @"MokahTGS.7850" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > Folks, I think a lot of the counter arguments here are missing the OP's repeated point, they are NOT asking for free flight everywhere to allow skipping over content, they are requesting designated areas be added to current and new maps that use the low gravity mechanic and add in more things to do while in that specific designated area.

> >

> > Which I think might be fun and interesting if ANet finds a way to organically add it in. (For the record I am also strongly against free flight everywhere, but I really enjoy the occasional slipping the bonds of gravity in places like the Sandswept heart).

>

> I would like to see argument points against free flying that are more than "I don't like it" statements. I understand the OP never asked for free flight, but that's where this would go, so is there some game breaking problem I'm missing?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to go off in that direction since that wasn't the OP's suggestion and a lot of other posters in this very thread already posted solid game design reasons against it. I adopt the reasoned opposition. Not so much the issues with skipping content (wps and mounts allow that already), more the map breaking and complete change to game play from the original design. I was very happy with free flight in WoW, I just don't feel it works as well in GW2 as we have really engaging mount use here.

But that's all an aside; there have been plenty of threads pro/con free flight already; the OP here may be getting a bit testy as the thread goes on but they initially set out a new and different idea and I'm hoping to see more debate on the merits of that idea rather than general free flight which wasn't even their point.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Springer would be invalidated as you could fly instead of hopping up.

It still has easy CC and like I said : "you would still use the springer for quick jumps like the one in the Temple of Joko as flapping around just for a quick floor change would be impractical" so nothing is geting invalidated here.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Skimmer would be invalidated as you could fly over the water instead of gliding across.

The skimmer is still better at short distances and (unlike the griffon) can be used after resurfacing.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Raptor/beetle/jackal would be invalidated as you can fly over the terrain that would slow them down.

That's not invalidating these mounts as you wouldn't want to use them for these areas anyways. If you could use the griffon to fly you would excel at one thing: long distance travel over uneven terrain, no other mount is geared towards that and the things they are geared towards are not really affected by it.

We all NEED to remember people in the Internet NEVER READ THE WHOLE THING. NEVER STAY ON TOPIC. AND NEVER YIELD.

So: always be super clear in the first sentence, always put a title that describes exactly what you want to say, and always arm yourself with a lot of patience.

I can't see how it would be less resource-intensive to create new content above the maps. The Devs would still have to create everything the players interact with sans the floor way below. I suppose that would save a bit of work.

Again, it would be nice to know which of many posts the OP is responding to, but there may be a vacation in the future.

Good luck.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

Hem ... you said it yourself, it's actually less work (be it much or little).

And I can assure you that programming "the whole environment of a map" or "just floating blocks" (which, moreover, base their coordinates on already assembled structures) is VEEEEEEERY different.

But, would it be worth creating? Why not just create new maps, or use Season 4 or 5 maps? Why bother with core maps which may have low sky-boxes? What benefit does it bring to core maps (specifically Cities as the OP states)? It's not like new players or core players would access it if it was tuned for Vets. I'm not sure there is a population problem in the Cities. In fact, I, personally, avoid Lion's Arch because of the population and the long loading screens.

You can fight against the storm all you want, Aavataris. I'm just talking form experience. All my comments on this topic have been absolutely honest and deprived of sarcasm.

I don't see the point on blaming anyone. But you have to admit this thread is not fulfilling its intended purpose, and is not going to do it in the close future.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > Springer would be invalidated as you could fly instead of hopping up.

> It still has easy CC and like I said : "you would still use the springer for quick jumps like the one in the Temple of Joko as flapping around just for a quick floor change would be impractical" so nothing is geting invalidated here.

>

> > Skimmer would be invalidated as you could fly over the water instead of gliding across.

> The skimmer is still better at short distances and (unlike the griffon) can be used after resurfacing.

>

> > Raptor/beetle/jackal would be invalidated as you can fly over the terrain that would slow them down.

> That's not invalidating these mounts as you wouldn't want to use them for these areas anyways. If you could use the griffon to fly you would excel at one thing: long distance travel over uneven terrain, no other mount is geared towards that and the things they are geared towards are not really affected by it.

Listing edge cases/exceptions doesn’t mean that they’re not invalidated.