Is the new step for Upgraded Armor -> Ascended?

My bad for relying on a term in the Wiki without further investigation (I just thought it was a name of a box with armor). The whole point was that one did not receive Ascended _Requiem_ Armor, as in the post I referred to. There's been a lot of discussion about an Ascended tier of Requiem Armor, so it seemed better not to encourage a rumor about it.

Again, my apologies.

When I read “upgradable” I didn’t see a closed system, but one with endless possibilities.

When an item is upgraded, it is taken to the next level step-by-step in increments. If too many upgrades are made at once, I would call that a total rebuild. Sometimes upgrades are for appearance only and sometimes for better operation.

What I am interested in is the better operation aspect. In order to get Ascended Armor, you could just craft a set and be done with it. We’ve been doing that since Day One.

When they opened up the new “Upgradable” aspect of gaming, should it never include changing rarities or adding animations? Or do you want to keep the _status quo_: farm for mats, craft the armor, and go about business.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> It's awesome to get a new mount (beetle) outside of an expansion. ... But for ~~Balthar's~~ ~~Kormir's~~ um, for Aurene's sake, please leave the "over hyping" to your community.

Genuine question: how did they overhype the Rollerbeetle? I only remember it being referred to as a "new mount", which is accurate.

(I do agree though - especially for armour sets, since new armour sets seem to be one of the most common requests on the forum.)

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > It's awesome to get a new mount (beetle) outside of an expansion. ... But for ~~Balthar's~~ ~~Kormir's~~ um, for Aurene's sake, please leave the "over hyping" to your community.

> Genuine question: how did they overhype the Rollerbeetle? I only remember it being referred to as a "new mount", which is accurate.

The beetle itself wasn't overhyped (at least, I don't remember if it was). What they keep doing is using the phrase, "expansion-like content" to describe it. Sure, it's a feature similar to what one can expect in expansions. And absolutely, it's a big deal that it comes without paying additional fees (at least if you're playing during the relevant 2-4 months). The issue is that they keep using phrases like "expansion like content" and "an expansion's worth of features." For a large fraction of players, that choice of words sets up expectations that cannot possibly be met.

If they underhyped instead... "we're releasing a new mount in the new DLC, offered for free to all current players," the fan base would talk it up like crazy. Instead, we get the opposite, with people arguing with ANet about whether their use of jargon is accurate or even appropriate. Players would say things like, "amazing, look a new mount without buying an expansion" or "a new upgradeable intance without an expansion" or "two full new armor sets without an expansion."

I think this is a first step in trying out a new game mechanic, much like the features added in Dry Top and Silverwastes.

They have been working towards incremental collections to help reduce the dependency on hoarding so many stacks of materials for a final assembly. Just like mystic curios are an example of small steps toward a huge requirement.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > It's awesome to get a new mount (beetle) outside of an expansion. ... But for ~~Balthar's~~ ~~Kormir's~~ um, for Aurene's sake, please leave the "over hyping" to your community.

> > Genuine question: how did they overhype the Rollerbeetle? I only remember it being referred to as a "new mount", which is accurate.

> The beetle itself wasn't overhyped (at least, I don't remember if it was). What they keep doing is using the phrase, "expansion-like content" to describe it. Sure, it's a feature similar to what one can expect in expansions. And absolutely, it's a big deal that it comes without paying additional fees (at least if you're playing during the relevant 2-4 months). The issue is that they keep using phrases like "expansion like content" and "an expansion's worth of features." For a large fraction of players, that choice of words sets up expectations that cannot possibly be met.

>

> If they underhyped instead... "we're releasing a new mount in the new DLC, offered for free to all current players," the fan base would talk it up like crazy. Instead, we get the opposite, with people arguing with ANet about whether their use of jargon is accurate or even appropriate. Players would say things like, "amazing, look a new mount without buying an expansion" or "a new upgradeable intance without an expansion" or "two full new armor sets without an expansion."

>

Oh, I see. I think I'd only come across the phrase "expansion-like content" in relation to Sun's Refuge, but then I don't usually read any dev communication, just watch the trailers.

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Except the upgrade part doesn’t give you armor. What you’re getting is just the skin.

> >

> > It’s really no different from LS2; they just repackaged and re-branded it.

>

> Once you have fully ascended gear or even legendary gear, whether youre crafting a "skin" or an actual certain rarity item is of little conscequence really.

>

> Every new armor skin I can obtain through such a thing I see as crafting the armor. The game system behind it is irrelevant to me.

Sure, if you only have 1 character, but many people have multiple characters in this game, sometimes large numbers of them. So extra bits of ascended armour often come in useful. I even hold onto exotics with selectable stats because only one of my characters has full ascended and with most I'll probably just leave them in exotics so it comes in useful for more than just a skin.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > Except the upgrade part doesn’t give you armor. What you’re getting is just the skin.

> > >

> > > It’s really no different from LS2; they just repackaged and re-branded it.

> >

> > Once you have fully ascended gear or even legendary gear, whether youre crafting a "skin" or an actual certain rarity item is of little conscequence really.

> >

> > Every new armor skin I can obtain through such a thing I see as crafting the armor. The game system behind it is irrelevant to me.

>

> Sure, if you only have 1 character, but many people have multiple characters in this game, sometimes large numbers of them. So extra bits of ascended armour often come in useful. I even hold onto exotics with selectable stats because only one of my characters has full ascended and with most I'll probably just leave them in exotics so it comes in useful for more than just a skin.

Not saying its not useful for people with multiple characters. I just don't see it as a requirement for a good reward.

In GW2, one of the strong points of the game also in GW1 really, is that getting some decent gear is relatively easy. Prestige rewards always have been alternative skins, this has been the case for ages now.