Make Backbacks (Wings) Dyeable; Not Just Gliders.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

> >

> > Having read the developer posts on the topic (some of which are quoted in this thread), I can't find any that support the contention that "the system was already in-game." Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Do you have a link that helps explain what you mean?

>

> look in GW, the system already exists.

> one dye channel but still, it's already there ingame, they just never applied it on GW2 weapons.

I can confirm(not as a dev) from doing literal hours(..just..so much time wasted on this...) of digging on why weapons and armor work the way they do that what Illconeived said is 100% accurate. They *chose* years before the game launched that weapons/backpacks would not be dyeable as the payoff was far less than what could be achieved by making numerous weapons in a variety of styles.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

> > >

> > > Having read the developer posts on the topic (some of which are quoted in this thread), I can't find any that support the contention that "the system was already in-game." Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Do you have a link that helps explain what you mean?

> >

> > look in GW, the system already exists.

> > one dye channel but still, it's already there ingame, they just never applied it on GW2 weapons.

>

> I can confirm(not as a dev) from doing literal hours(..just..so much time wasted on this...) of digging on why weapons and armor work the way they do that what Illconeived said is 100% accurate. They *chose* years before the game launched that weapons/backpacks would not be dyeable as the payoff was far less than what could be achieved by making numerous weapons in a variety of styles.

but the variety is nowhere to be found, there are even less styles in GW2 then in GW. (some styles are added in GW2 later on which are originally GW weapons since launch in 2005.)

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > no, the system was already in-game, they messed up.

> > > >

> > > > Having read the developer posts on the topic (some of which are quoted in this thread), I can't find any that support the contention that "the system was already in-game." Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Do you have a link that helps explain what you mean?

> > >

> > > look in GW, the system already exists.

> > > one dye channel but still, it's already there ingame, they just never applied it on GW2 weapons.

> >

> > I can confirm(not as a dev) from doing literal hours(..just..so much time wasted on this...) of digging on why weapons and armor work the way they do that what Illconeived said is 100% accurate. They *chose* years before the game launched that weapons/backpacks would not be dyeable as the payoff was far less than what could be achieved by making numerous weapons in a variety of styles.

>

> but the variety is nowhere to be found, there are even less styles in GW2 then in GW. (some styles are added in GW2 later on which are originally GW weapons since launch in 2005.)

Pardon? theres more weapon styles in this game than there ever was in GW1, especially when you consider the weapons we didnt have in GW1, and honestly Gw1 had alot of copies of skins as well(most of the different bow lengths had skins they shared for example, and just browsing a few of the other weapons showed many duplicates as well.). and the amount of detail of the weapons in GW2 is often greater than the ones in Gw1.

For example

Including Duplicates on both sides for two weapons.

(Staff).

GW2: 186

GW1: 165

(Axe)

GW2: 176

GW1: 102

Given a few more years, the amount of *Unique* skins will dwarf the amount of skins in GW1, its already passed that point, alot of the weapons in GW2 have *well* over the number of skins available in GW1.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> but the variety is nowhere to be found, there are even less styles in GW2 then in GW. (some styles are added in GW2 later on which are originally GW weapons since launch in 2005.)

Best case scenario is that GW1 offered 330 variations of armor with 6 matching pieces, while GW2 has over 680 (i.e. over twice as many).

GW1 has 33 full armor sets, [according to the wiki](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art), covering 6, 8, or 10 variations (per profession; some sets aren't available for some profs).

* 17 standard armor sets

* 16 prestige armors

GW2 has over 52 full armor sets, [according to its wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set) with 15 variations (one per weight per race):

* 8 dungeon

* 3 orders

* 3 cultural (t1, t2, t3, combined across the five races)

* 10 sets of loot armor

* 10 sets of crafted armor

* 5 sets of karma armor

* 3 sets of wvw armor (triumphant, hero's, & mistforged)

* 3 sets of pvp armor

* 7 sets of gem shop armor

* various other collection armor (e.g. mistward)

* at least 3 sets of collection armor not listed on the page (requiem, elegy, legendary)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > but the variety is nowhere to be found, there are even less styles in GW2 then in GW. (some styles are added in GW2 later on which are originally GW weapons since launch in 2005.)

>

> Best case scenario is that GW1 offered 330 variations of armor with 6 matching pieces, while GW2 has over 680 (i.e. over twice as many).

>

> GW1 has 33 full armor sets, [according to the wiki](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art), covering 6, 8, or 10 variations (per profession; some sets aren't available for some profs).

> * 17 standard armor sets

> * 16 prestige armors

>

> GW2 has over 52 full armor sets, [according to its wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set) with 15 variations (one per weight per race):

> * 8 dungeon

> * 3 orders

> * 3 cultural (t1, t2, t3, combined across the five races)

> * 10 sets of loot armor

> * 10 sets of crafted armor

> * 5 sets of karma armor

> * 3 sets of wvw armor (triumphant, hero's, & mistforged)

> * 3 sets of pvp armor

> * 7 sets of gem shop armor

> * various other collection armor (e.g. mistward)

> * at least 3 sets of collection armor not listed on the page (requiem, elegy, legendary)

......weapons, not armor -_-

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > ......weapons, not armor -_-

>

> GW1 has less variety of weapons, as well.

> * GW1 has [78 different varieties of staff](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Staff_images)

> * GW2 has [203 skins](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Staff_skins)

no, less repeats, more variety.

also, all weapons in GW fits something, i have yet to see a complete set that fits anything in GW2.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > ......weapons, not armor -_-

> >

> > GW1 has less variety of weapons, as well.

> > * GW1 has [78 different varieties of staff](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Staff_images)

> > * GW2 has [203 skins](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Staff_skins)

>

> no, less repeats, more variety.

You keep repeating that without providing any evidence that this is so. What _weapon skins_ are repeats in GW2? What constitutes more variety of GW1?

The impression is left that you simply have fond memories of GW1 skins rather than that there's a substantive difference, let alone a major benefit to GW1 skins.

> also, all weapons in GW fits something, i have yet to see a complete set that fits anything in GW2.

What does that even mean? Fractal weapons have a fractal theme and are very different from glacial weapons with their icy theme.

• 4 months later...