Why?

Jack Redline.5379

> @"JonnyForgotten.4276" said:

> I would like to see mace as well, both main and off hand if that could be hoped for. Thinking a cc based offensive spec maybe coupled with a lot of short to mid range movement skills allowing for the thief to insert themselves wherever in the fight to have the most impact. Honestly have in mind those times in wvw or spvp where a well timed stun or immob gets someone torn apart by your team. Seems like a good start for a "support" niche for thief to me.

I kinda like the sounds of shadowstepping in, breaking someone's knee with a mace then leaving them to get killed by whatever they were running from hahaha xD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > @"JonnyForgotten.4276" said:

> > I would like to see mace as well, both main and off hand if that could be hoped for. Thinking a cc based offensive spec maybe coupled with a lot of short to mid range movement skills allowing for the thief to insert themselves wherever in the fight to have the most impact. Honestly have in mind those times in wvw or spvp where a well timed stun or immob gets someone torn apart by your team. Seems like a good start for a "support" niche for thief to me.

>

> I kinda like the sounds of shadowstepping in, breaking someone's knee with a mace then leaving them to get killed by whatever they were running from hahaha xD

I know, right!? :D

Seriously though, DD focused on evasion, DE on stealth, why not have the next espec focus on mobility and cc as the next part of our core skillset to be amplified? If any of the theory crafters out there want to take a stab at it. . . ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like Daredevil, I hated Deadeye, but I'm among those who supported the use of a focus to further enhance the stealth and shadowstepping abilities. Give it an utility role like sharing these abilities with others, give your allies some pointers, a way out or a way in and so on, justify their use of shadow magic (deception, not anything d4rk) while giving a 'smuggler' feeling. I long for a proper rogue too but the introduction of Deadeye has sent a message.

Also, OP, I'm afraid you're a bit late for the fear of weeaboos, 4 years late.

> @"MrForz.1953" said:

Dude but you realize even tho DE has this ''magical'' monstrosity in it it is still DPS based elite

And when you check the lates nerfs we got. Anet can simply not afford giving us support elite.

1st the support we would provide would not be enough. Every single class is able to give more support than thief with no elite equiped if they would put it on we couldnt beat throgh it.

2nd the support we would provide would be useless. Why would you want to stealth a whole group and smuggle them so somewhere? Okay maybe dungeons (as if anyone played those these days) Okay maybe some parts of fracs or raids sure but you can do that even now. You can stack up to 15 sec of group stealth atm with sb you just swap one trait line

3rd if they would give us the support elite. What about our dps. We wouldnt even kill squishies in raids. In PVP we would be completely useless. Nobody would use such elite. I cant really see use for this in WvW because you wont be able to port over the walls (shadowstep mechanic) and even if you would stealth all your group you wouldnt stealth siege weapons. And even if you would it would be completely useless since after you would attack all stealth of the weapons and those who attacked would be gone + revealed.

Also this abbility would have to be Field = AoE oriented. You expect all zerg run around you whole time just so they can get up to 10 sec stealth or regen? Also enemy zerg might do it.

You will run around each other not seeing each other. In circles. not attacking each other so you wont reveal urself. Also the stealth granting wont be more than 10 ppl if it will be so you would need two of these useless thieves in zerg.

No dps. Negligable support. Sharing bonuses that are not neccesarry.

I dunno why you ppl want this so bad -.-

> @"Jack Redline.5379" said:

> > @"Grimheart.2853" said:

> > This OP forced a couple of my braindcells commit suicide. I'm tempted to follow their example as well.

>

> my goodness and what did i say that your braincells wanna commit suicide? i would love to know just currious

Just about everything. From the fact that you have an absolutely false idea of professions and magic involvement in this setting to how *zealosly* you demand your *deluded* vision to be followed.

> @"Grimheart.2853" said:

> Just about everything. From the fact that you have an absolutely false idea of professions and magic involvement in this setting to how *zealosly* you demand your *deluded* vision to be followed.

First of all i dont really care if you follow what i say or no. You clearly dont as far as we are talking about this. I am simply putting to the table straight up facts that can be found on wiki that can be confirmed in game etc. And since you think i missunderstand the involvement of magic in this setting i would like you to tell me your oppinion about this. Because in all threads ppl simply try to prove to me that thief is in fact magician. And every time i put down some fact from wiki or wherever they are gonna dispute that or at least try to do so.

These three cases are only cases when in thief is mentioned Shadow magic everyone keeps refering to.

Shadow Gust

Shadow Flare

Deadeye definition

Also what about my understanding of thief being a DPS class is wrong? Since ever thief was dps class. We never did nothing else man. Have you seen a tank kitter thief? Have you seen a group healer or might sharer thief?

I am simply refering to stuff we deal with daily and everyone hates on me for that so pardon me if i may seem overzealous or delude i am just tired of constantly repeating myself without getting any possitive feedback or at least some comment saying ''Yea i get your point.''

> @"MrForz.1953" said:

> Alright, fine then. Tell me what you want "so bad" since this works you up far more than it normally should. Let me get ready for a laugh knowing you won't stand for any of that kitten and how limited and one-dimensional the core aspect of the thief class already is.

I am not worked up about that i simply explained myself. Give me your idea about this. How do you think this smuggler of yours would work. You want focus for a thief okay. That one works basically as FoE skill with a certain range. So tell how would you imagine a focus (i dunno if you mean main or off hand) would enhance the stealth. I mean the point behind it.

Example = by casting 2 on focus = ''Lights out'' The 5 tagets around me go in stealth get regen 5 sec.

What would be the use of it.

I am only trying to keep it logical. I am not trying to prove you wrong I just stated the negatives of such update. Give me some positives of it so i can see what you mean. Just cuz i named my points it doesnt mean you cant name yours now. go ahead i will read it.

Also I would like purely condi espec but i cant affect that so it doesnt matter.

> > @"Grimheart.2853" said:

> > Just about everything. From the fact that you have an absolutely false idea of professions and magic involvement in this setting to how *zealosly* you demand your *deluded* vision to be followed.

>

> First of all i dont really care if you follow what i say or no. You clearly dont as far as we are talking about this. I am simply putting to the table straight up facts that can be found on wiki that can be confirmed in game etc. And since you think i missunderstand the involvement of magic in this setting i would like you to tell me your oppinion about this. Because in all threads ppl simply try to prove to me that thief is in fact magician. And every time i put down some fact from wiki or wherever they are gonna dispute that or at least try to do so.

> These three cases are only cases when in thief is mentioned Shadow magic everyone keeps refering to.

> Shadow Gust

> Shadow Flare

> Deadeye definition

>

> Also what about my understanding of thief being a DPS class is wrong? Since ever thief was dps class. We never did nothing else man. Have you seen a tank kitter thief? Have you seen a group healer or might sharer thief?

> I am simply refering to stuff we deal with daily and everyone hates on me for that so pardon me if i may seem overzealous or delude i am just tired of constantly repeating myself without getting any possitive feedback or at least some comment saying ''Yea i get your point.''

>

Your first two sentences already tell me you are not worth my time, but I'll humor you with this last message.

Cherrypicking a single sentence from the wiki devoid of any deeper context isn't presenting full factual information.

Magic is essentially, as Joko mentions in "Long Live The Lich", the lifeforce of this world. Every profession uses magic in some way, even core warrior could be argued to simply channel magical energy into empowering themselves physically. People become more powerful through consuming magic. This is what hero point meditatons essentially are. Magic is everything in this setting.

Thief's shadowstep, as far as I remember, is a technique inherited from gw1 assassins that performed it through warping in and out of the mists. That's the very first and simplest example for you of thief's magic.

About roles:

>"Also what about my understanding of thief being a DPS class is wrong?"

Not only did you, yet again, simply made this up since I never said that, I can tell you why even this is complete nonsense as well.

I can tank Vale Guardian as a thief. In fact I'm sure I could tank any raid boss with thief, or any other profession, for that matter. Not only that, but core traitline of trickery provides ways of sharing a few boons with your allies, venoms allow for small offensive and healing support capabilities and shadow arts have some heal-like support as well, not to mention Shadow Refuge. The reason those roles are impractical is current balance situation, it has nothing to do with flavor or design, since from the very beginning the intention was to allow any and all classes to spec into a role they prefer. It's, like one of the design cornerstones of GW2, which you would've known if you weren't busy being so busy ignoring everything that doesn't fit your narrow understanding of the game.

In your OP, you laughably mention that thief is an "adventurer", implying that this somehow means it shouldn't wield magic, except for the fact that ranger and engineer fit into the adventurer category too, and even if you believe engi's outlandish alchemy has nothing to do with magic, ranger is a mage by default.

>i am just tired of constantly repeating myself without getting any possitive feedback or at least some comment saying ''Yea i get your point.''

It's because you make no valid points, so nobody gets it.

> @"Grimheart.2853" said:

> Magic is essentially, as Joko mentions in "Long Live The Lich", the lifeforce of this world.

Funny enough i was talking with ppl about this very quote in Lore section of the forums. And here is the conclusion we made.

The lifeforce of this world = soul.

Souls of the living beings in this world are ''magical''. Magic is in this context wieved as a flow that is like a water in aquarium of our reality. It allows us as characters to live since our souls are magic as well. The aquarium is reality which boundaries are the Veil between real world and mists. Veil itself is formed out of magic as well. That is why in current LWS we saw that Klark was able to go to Mists cuz the Veil was so kittened up by our actions that he was simply able to slip in there. As you might have noticed a few characters came to help us from mists = their souls = magic essence of theirs which is still alive in mists.

It has nothing to do with ability to use magic.

Ability to use magic can be developed and trained = especs given by Anet.

Why would a rouge class be called a rouge if it was a mage.

Why would we even separate all the classes if all of them would simply be mages/magicians?

> Thief's shadowstep, as far as I remember, is a technique inherited from gw1 assassins that performed it through warping in and out of the mists. That's the very first and simplest example for you of thief's magic.

Ok this might be correct yea. I give you that. But this is not assassin from gw1 this is a theif from gw2. Just cuz you copy past a skill from previous game it doesnt matter it has the same underlining. Shadowsteping might be explained in at least three other ways than the one you mentioned. Unfortunatelly there is no explanation of the behind the scenes of this skill so i cant cherry pick for you.

> About roles:

> Not only did you, yet again, simply made this up since I never said that, I can tell you why even this is complete nonsense as well.

> I can tank Vale Guardian as a thief. The reason those roles are impractical is **current** balance situation, it has nothing to do with flavor or design, since from the very beginning the intention was to allow any and all classes to spec into a role they prefer.

First of all. The game decided roles of the characters in a first two months after release. The role you are having is not what you wish for. It is what you are best suited for. You wont play Thief to tank if you know the best you are at is DPS. ALSO **CURRENT**. How broad is a term current in your oppinion? Two three years? Four? Cuz the balance as it is never suited Theives for support more than other classes. Everything else could support better than us. In terms of healing, boons etc. yea we could be +1 in battle with lets say Poison Field from sb. Fine that we are also today. Support. IN DPS. Not survival support.

Support is the class that keeps you alive and helps you to survive the fight.

If you want to say that +1 guy is a support yea he is. DPS support.

Yes the idea of every class being able to play everything is beautiful. It was actually the reason i came to this game at a first place. I picked up thief right away went p/p and full carrion gear. Hoping i can be tank condi p/p mayhem.

And i learned my lesson.

You cant. Not only because game wont support that enough. But also beacuse ppl in game wont let you. You want content? Go meta.

But this is not about the community here. The game doesnt suit thief as a support class it suits it as DPS class. Small health big dps.

And the backstage behind the thief = theme. Is a thief. A scoundrel a trickster a brutal thug that breaks bones. Not a freaking magician. it never was a magician. You can explain all the thief skills and traits with magic yea. I can explain to you gravitation as a magic. And it will sound silly. just like this does.

Also gl with tanking in raids as a thief. I mean. that must be useful.

''Okay boys and girls we got One holo, one soulbeast, two druids, banner bereserker, two chronos, one condi dardevil, one firebrand, and a tank thief......"

"I think we are good to go"

I want to see this situation on YT someone please do me a favor.

> It's because you make no valid points, so nobody gets it.

... okay?

> Why do you gus want to change Thief to Mesmer? I read so many coments these days and all of them want to make Thief a magician (shadow mage or whatever) what the hell is wrong with all of you? If you want to play Mesmer go play Mesmer. You will be more wanted in all game types. You will have easy rotation that masaccres everything. STOP TRYING TO CHANGE THIEF INTO MESMER PLEASE.

> Y'all talking about lets give Thief phantasms = mesmer stuff.

> Lets make thief use shadow magic = complete nonsense and you no matter what whoever says wont recognize it is

> Lets give thief scepter = magical artifact for MAGES

> Lets make thief support = again mesmer stuff. We have freaking two traits that can actually give some small support. Rending shade and Bountiful theft. Both of them weak enough you would use it even if you'd had to. DD has none and DE has maybe one i am not sure i dont play that,

> If you want magic. Go play one of the light armor magician classes. Leave us thieves alone.

>

> You watch prolly too much anime and you hope you will get to be like one of them characters jumping around shooting pistols with shady shadow crawling behind your back while daggers fly out of your hands and doing kung-fu like freaking Nuck Chorris.

> That aint gonna happen. It is not possible. Not in this game. Go play mesmer if you want to play mesmer.

> Dress it all in black and red so it is brutal and you got your dreamed out anime, super natural, magical phantasms casting, shots firing, clones blasing, enemies roasting, special unicorn!

> I am not salty i am just so tired of reading about all that stuff + it makes no sense. Thank you.

All classes but engi uses magic even core theifs what did you think signets and shadowsteps. magic is not light amor classes only every ranger ,guardian and revenant and theif uses it.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> All classes but engi uses magic even core theifs what did you think signets and shadowsteps. magic is not light amor classes only every ranger ,guardian and revenant and theif uses it.

Ah here we go again. -.-

Shadowsteping just subsitutes for the lack of authenticity in game. We simply cant sneak up on enemy in middle of a fight cuz first we have no hideouts and second it would take ages and in a game fight speed we have here it would be imposible and useless.

Signets just might be as follows

Signet of Shadow = a smoke bomb really dont konw why would that be a magic. Cuz of a name? I know it could be explained magically but why? It is a rouge class why would you expect it to be magical

Signet of Inflitrator's = a drug pill. You will simply get extra ini cuz of adrenaline you are gaining and if you eat it it works like a durg and lets you to move faster ergo shadowstep to your foe

Signet of Agility = again might be a drug pill

Signet os Assassins = again might be a drug pill that grants you strenght like steroids

The point Anet couldnt go with the durgs as a motive is that this game is pegi 16 so they had to name it somehow. Usage of pills for a thief would be copletely justifiable since they are thieves you know they dont care.

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

>

> > All classes but engi uses magic even core theifs what did you think signets and shadowsteps. magic is not light amor classes only every ranger ,guardian and revenant and theif uses it.

>

> Ah here we go again. -.-

> Shadowsteping just subsitutes for the lack of authenticity in game. We simply cant sneak up on enemy in middle of a fight cuz first we have no hideouts and second it would take ages and in a game fight speed we have here it would be imposible and useless.

> Signets just might be as follows

> Signet of Shadow = a smoke bomb really dont konw why would that be a magic. Cuz of a name? I know it could be explained magically but why? It is a rouge class why would you expect it to be magical

> Signet of Inflitrator's = a drug pill. You will simply get extra ini cuz of adrenaline you are gaining and if you eat it it works like a durg and lets you to move faster ergo shadowstep to your foe

> Signet of Agility = again might be a drug pill

> Signet os Assassins = again might be a drug pill that grants you strenght like steroids

> The point Anet couldnt go with the durgs as a motive is that this game is pegi 16 so they had to name it somehow. Usage of pills for a thief would be copletely justifiable since they are thieves you know they dont care.

You know, as fun as this thread has been, you're reading a lot of stuff into those skills that simply isn't there. There's no shame in admitting you don't like the whole shadow magic thing as it's an aspect of the class you don't care for, but it's getting silly to carry on denying that it's there.

Also this; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet <- pretty much defines signets as stored magic prepared beforehand through use of certain materials. By that definition, the only class that does not use magic in some way shape or form is Engineer as far as I can see, and they may still use it to power all their gizmos.

> You know, as fun as this thread has been, you're reading a lot of stuff into those skills that simply isn't there. There's no shame in admitting you don't like the whole shadow magic thing as it's an aspect of the class you don't care for, but it's getting silly to carry on denying that it's there.

It is not me not admiting thief doesnt use magic. It is an actual thing. Just read the name of the class you might get a hint

> > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

>

> > You know, as fun as this thread has been, you're reading a lot of stuff into those skills that simply isn't there. There's no shame in admitting you don't like the whole shadow magic thing as it's an aspect of the class you don't care for, but it's getting silly to carry on denying that it's there.

>

> It is not me not admiting thief doesnt use magic. It is an actual thing. Just read the name of the class you might get a hint

Well. It is the fact you need to admit thieves use magic, I mean, you've just made up a bunch of stuff as justification for your position that I'm supposed to accept as alternative truth, and you're still not going to respond to this:

> Also this; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet <- pretty much defines signets as stored magic prepared beforehand through use of certain materials. By that definition, the only class that does not use magic in some way shape or form is Engineer as far as I can see, and they may still use it to power all their gizmos.

.... Which clearly shows that thieves use magic. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not true.

I dont care if you take anything from what i say. I saying that in comon use a word thief and thus the class itself doesnt identify in any manner with magic.

And the point why am i continuously doing so is that you are trying to force not only me but also other people to believe that thief is related and does use magic.

You are stating your evidence i am stating mine. I dont care at all if you will accept it or no. You are not supposed to. We are here (in thief spec topics) to discuss what we think thief shuold be further. And since ever thief was DPS using tricks and deception to become a good class we love to play. You came up with this support magic thief thing just i dunno month or so ago. And for some reason you are trying to force other ppl mostly those who think of theif as i do to believe you are right about this. You are literally asking Anet to change Thief into something it never was nor it is even now. I am simply pointing out you are wrong. I dont care if you learn from it. That is all up to you.

> > @"Jack Redline.5379" said:

> > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> >

> > > You know, as fun as this thread has been, you're reading a lot of stuff into those skills that simply isn't there. There's no shame in admitting you don't like the whole shadow magic thing as it's an aspect of the class you don't care for, but it's getting silly to carry on denying that it's there.

> >

> > It is not me not admiting thief doesnt use magic. It is an actual thing. Just read the name of the class you might get a hint

>

> Well. It is the fact you need to admit thieves use magic, I mean, you've just made up a bunch of stuff as justification for your position that I'm supposed to accept as alternative truth, and you're still not going to respond to this:

>

> > Also this; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet <- pretty much defines signets as stored magic prepared beforehand through use of certain materials. By that definition, the only class that does not use magic in some way shape or form is Engineer as far as I can see, and they may still use it to power all their gizmos.

>

> .... Which clearly shows that thieves use magic. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not true.

"Signets are special tablets, first developed by powerful Orrian wizards, that are able to hold magical spells for use by individuals otherwise unskilled in the use of magic."

[GW2 Magic](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic")

I think only two classes don't use signets, and while it doesn't rule out that thieves do or don't use magic, if they do it's limited to a very small scale or simply precharged magical items.

Thief is not a caster, and it will never be a caster.

> @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > > @"Jack Redline.5379" said:

> > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > >

> > > > You know, as fun as this thread has been, you're reading a lot of stuff into those skills that simply isn't there. There's no shame in admitting you don't like the whole shadow magic thing as it's an aspect of the class you don't care for, but it's getting silly to carry on denying that it's there.

> > >

> > > It is not me not admiting thief doesnt use magic. It is an actual thing. Just read the name of the class you might get a hint

> >

> > Well. It is the fact you need to admit thieves use magic, I mean, you've just made up a bunch of stuff as justification for your position that I'm supposed to accept as alternative truth, and you're still not going to respond to this:

> >

> > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > Also this; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet <- pretty much defines signets as stored magic prepared beforehand through use of certain materials. By that definition, the only class that does not use magic in some way shape or form is Engineer as far as I can see, and they may still use it to power all their gizmos.

> >

> > .... Which clearly shows that thieves use magic. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not true.

>

> "Signets are special tablets, first developed by powerful Orrian wizards, that are able to hold magical spells for use by individuals otherwise unskilled in the use of magic."

>

> [GW2 Magic](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic")

>

> I think only two classes don't use signets, and while it doesn't rule out that thieves do or don't use magic, if they do it's limited to a very small scale or simply precharged magical items.

>

> Thief is not a caster, and it will never be a caster.

I'm not arguing that thief uses magic as it's main thing or as a traditional caster type class, clearly thief uses it the least amongst the classes along with warrior and engi. It doesn't change the fact that they do use it in some way tho, and Jack making up a bunch of stuff about how signets are actually drugs in order to support his position isn't good argumentation and doesn't help his position. Just pointing that out, really.

>

> I dont care if you take anything from what i say. I saying that in comon use a word thief and thus the class itself doesnt identify in any manner with magic.

> And the point why am i continuously doing so is that you are trying to force not only me but also other people to believe that thief is related and does use magic.

> You are stating your evidence i am stating mine. I dont care at all if you will accept it or no. You are not supposed to. We are here (in thief spec topics) to discuss what we think thief shuold be further. And since ever thief was DPS using tricks and deception to become a good class we love to play. You came up with this support magic thief thing just i dunno month or so ago. And for some reason you are trying to force other ppl mostly those who think of theif as i do to believe you are right about this. You are literally asking Anet to change Thief into something it never was nor it is even now. I am simply pointing out you are wrong. I dont care if you learn from it. That is all up to you.

I don't really care for the support shadow magic thing, so I'd appreciate if you wouldn't accuse me of being wrong about something I didn't say. I'm simply saying making up a bunch of stuff about how ANet couldn't put drugs into the game etc isn't evidence by any reasonable definition of the word and it actually weakens your argument more than you think it supports it.

Does that mean I want a shadow mage? Not really, I agree it doesn't fit the theme of thief and would rather see something based more around riposte and blocks. But denying the obvious fact that in the lore all classes use magic in some way, even if it's a pre-prepared thing, makes no sense lore wise.