do u still roam in central tyria for fun and exploration? (gift of completion farm doesnt count)

I still actually play through my keyrun every week, not just speed through to get the keys. Mount vigor makes speeding through the maps on beetle a little too tempting sometimes, but before that I would always take my time and get distracted by events and whatnot. I'd say a typical keyrun through the lvl 60 story takes me over 5 hours, just bc I like to look around on the way . . .

It is typically the most fun I have while playing the game. I run around in a random map and start helping the locals. Though, it takes me 5-10 mins to get into it, and sometimes I can on go over the hurdle and I get bored quickly ?

While I like most of the maps in the game (except PoF) something about core Tyria maps is captivatin. They feel more immersive than all other locations.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

>

> Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

Do you main each just one day a month?

> @"Jarl Petter Hinrik.1409" said:

> I keep creating new characters when pof and hot are too harsh on me or I get lost in the story. Nothing like going back home and finding bits of lore you never got before.

This.

A while back I completed a dream that started maybe a year after the game launched: complete all of the storyline missions. That includes the ones that have decisions you can make, and the 15 starting paths the races have (3 each for the 5 races).

There is lore EVERYWHERE. I can't believe how much I missed the first time through. There are events all over the newbie zones and the second-tier zones that have a direct link to the storyline. And, they cross-reference each other even when they are disparate/unrelated choices you can make. Yeah, they converge at certain points, but it's really fun figuring out how they tie together.

It wasn't cheap (it requires at least 30 characters, and I kept all of them). But, it was worth it. To me, anyhow.

The newer storylines are good, but they have nowhere near the depth that the original had, with all the choices you could make along the way. It was a lot of fun.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

> >

> > Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

>

> Do you main each just one day a month?

Oh, no. I'll play at least 5 a day, maybe 10. Weekends even more.

But, I usually have a target. Like, I have 10 level 80s at the 10 sunken chest locations to harvest them on their turn. But, I also take them for a spin around the zone each time I go in, and do a few hearts and events along the way. So, I get on one of those 10 every day.

Then, I have guys scattered all over the maps to do dailies.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> The newer storylines are good, but they have nowhere near the depth that the original had, with all the choices you could make along the way. It was a lot of fun.

Do you really feel those choices changed anything though? I mean other than giving you one different side mission here or there do they really impact the overall direction you go?

I can make all the choices to meet Tonn and watch him make his sacrifice battling the forces of the undead Then I can see his grieving widow near the entrance to Auric Basin.

Or I can make a ton of different choices and have no idea who Tonn is....and still meet his grieving widow near the entrance to Auric Basin.

I can watch Tybalt make his stand and perish at Claw Island. Or I can watch Sierran or Forgal do exactly the same thing...in exactly the same way...at the exact same point in the story.

Shall we meet the forces of evil head on? Or should we ambush them with a sneak attack on their supply lines?

Doesn't matter.

The illusion of choice in the story lines may give us a slight increased depth to the story, but the core personal story itself doesn't fare well with the scrutiny of multiple viewings. While it's nice to uncover a lore nugget here or there, the overall direction of the story is so "on-rails" that it suffers on the additional play throughs.

If it justified the shallow experience with a little challenge in the instances, it would be far easier to take.

But core story can be beaten by a ranger pet and firing a few laser cannons by pressing F.

It's very much not worth doing more than once or twice.

Used to love open world tyria, and still basically miss it pretty often. But frankly I'm just bored because the mobs are so boring to fight against, that I just can't get engaged at all. It's amazingly well done, and is what captivated me at launch, until I'd played through all of them too much, and learned the combat system enough to just roflstomp all the enemies in pve. Now it feels like going back to school to listen to another day of boring poems from 1720 or something, just propping open your eyes, trying not to fall asleep.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

> > >

> > > Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

> >

> > Do you main each just one day a month?

>

> Oh, no. I'll play at least 5 a day, maybe 10. Weekends even more.

>

> But, I usually have a target. Like, I have 10 level 80s at the 10 sunken chest locations to harvest them on their turn. But, I also take them for a spin around the zone each time I go in, and do a few hearts and events along the way. So, I get on one of those 10 every day.

>

> Then, I have guys scattered all over the maps to do dailies.

Are you retired or something?

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

> > >

> > > Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

> >

> > Do you main each just one day a month?

>

> Oh, no. I'll play at least 5 a day, maybe 10. Weekends even more.

>

> But, I usually have a target. Like, I have 10 level 80s at the 10 sunken chest locations to harvest them on their turn. But, I also take them for a spin around the zone each time I go in, and do a few hearts and events along the way. So, I get on one of those 10 every day.

>

> Then, I have guys scattered all over the maps to do dailies.

I would not personally call parked toons as "main" but the real issue I have is that I have...

to little free time for this and wish I had more :)

> @"kurfu.5623" said:

> > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

> > > >

> > > > Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

> > >

> > > Do you main each just one day a month?

> >

> > Oh, no. I'll play at least 5 a day, maybe 10. Weekends even more.

> >

> > But, I usually have a target. Like, I have 10 level 80s at the 10 sunken chest locations to harvest them on their turn. But, I also take them for a spin around the zone each time I go in, and do a few hearts and events along the way. So, I get on one of those 10 every day.

> >

> > Then, I have guys scattered all over the maps to do dailies.

>

> Are you retired or something?

Nah. I just spend a lot of time playing.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

> > > >

> > > > Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

> > >

> > > Do you main each just one day a month?

> >

> > Oh, no. I'll play at least 5 a day, maybe 10. Weekends even more.

> >

> > But, I usually have a target. Like, I have 10 level 80s at the 10 sunken chest locations to harvest them on their turn. But, I also take them for a spin around the zone each time I go in, and do a few hearts and events along the way. So, I get on one of those 10 every day.

> >

> > Then, I have guys scattered all over the maps to do dailies.

>

> I would not personally call parked toons as "main" but the real issue I have is that I have...

>

> to little free time for this and wish I had more :)

I call them mains if they're not mules. And, I'm active on all of them at least a time or two a month each. But, I will say that I'm not ready to buy any more character slots just now. :)

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > > > Yes, but I also roam all areas outside of core Tyria. I have 27 mains, and it's been a good number of months since I did NOT play every one of them in any given month.

> > > > >

> > > > > Exception: I avoid the four HoT areas, because they're too difficult for casual play like this, and because the later ones pose extreme navigation issues. If they would only improve the mini-map to show elevations and tunnels … :(.

> > > >

> > > > Do you main each just one day a month?

> > >

> > > Oh, no. I'll play at least 5 a day, maybe 10. Weekends even more.

> > >

> > > But, I usually have a target. Like, I have 10 level 80s at the 10 sunken chest locations to harvest them on their turn. But, I also take them for a spin around the zone each time I go in, and do a few hearts and events along the way. So, I get on one of those 10 every day.

> > >

> > > Then, I have guys scattered all over the maps to do dailies.

> >

> > I would not personally call parked toons as "main" but the real issue I have is that I have...

> >

> > to little free time for this and wish I had more :)

>

> I call them mains if they're not mules. And, I'm active on all of them at least a time or two a month each. But, I will say that I'm not ready to buy any more character slots just now. :)

You are privileged to have this much free time as an adult, it is nice to see people enjoy what they are doing and have time to do it over working their lives away.

Maybe you are retired. I hope to one day have enough time to run a few alts more often than I can now. Probably won't happen :)

Then again if you are just rich with family money and hang out doing nothing but gaming my opinion above would not apply.