Why I don't invite new people to play

Allisa Wonderland.8192

A large portion of my game time goes into WvW. To play with new friends I'd convince to give the game a go, they would have to join the same WvW server -- but they can't, because it's full. I sure won't tell them to join anything and save up to pay $$ to change servers when it finally opens.

When I switched to another server for more competitive gaming, I left my friends behind because they were not willing to shell out the cost of the transfer to a T1 server. Now, since I was the primary cheerleader for the game, they barely touch the game since they can't join me in the wuv wuvs.

To be clear, I'm not saying anything negative about the game itself - I love Guild Wars 2 and something really bad would have to happen to make me stop playing it. But recruiting new players, well that's a different story.

Is there a solution that makes sense from someone who doesn't play. (ie: for us, "wait until a server is open" sounds reasonable)

So you ditch your friends to stack a server, well, there's no solution for that.

As for the new players to join your server which is full....other than what you already knew...

A month ago, I posted a complete suggestion of new system in the old forums but it got turned down by a dev, citing incomplete perspective.

Part of that suggestion has something called non-mandatory server requirement.

The idea of non-mandatory server is to, self explanatory, make servers non-mandatory to everyone. Doing so, allow all new players not to choose any servers at start. This alone help with issues such as your's.

However, as mentioned, the dev turn it down. Likewise, many players are left with the impressions that anet has zero interest in anything related to populations so your only option is to wait it out.

> @"Allisa Wonderland.8192" said:

> A large portion of my game time goes into WvW. To play with new friends I'd convince to give the game a go, they would have to join the same WvW server -- but they can't, because it's full. I sure won't tell them to join anything and save up to pay $$ to change servers when it finally opens.

>

> When I switched to another server for more competitive gaming, I left my friends behind because they were not willing to shell out the cost of the transfer to a T1 server. Now, since I was the primary cheerleader for the game, they barely touch the game since they can't join me in the wuv wuvs.

>

> To be clear, I'm not saying anything negative about the game itself - I love Guild Wars 2 and something really bad would have to happen to make me stop playing it. But recruiting new players, well that's a different story.

>

> Is there a solution that makes sense from someone who doesn't play. (ie: for us, "wait until a server is open" sounds reasonable)

Which server did you switch to for "competitive gaming"?

I have the same issue, 5 of my boys and I started on HoD a few weeks back and we really fell in love with wvw.. I no joke have AT LEAST 20 more people 100% ready to pay for the game and play but HoD is closed now as are all 12 major wvw servers.. This is insane to me, I get the TOP servers being shut, but EVERY single one???? Arena net is literally blocking themselvs from getting money by doing this, not only can they not buy the game and play with us, but we don't wanna play without them so whats the point in us playing.. Seems like a silly system..

It's a good question, @"Allisa Wonderland.8192" and I'm afraid there isn't a good answer and worse, it's unlikely that there might ever be a good one.

This is one of those situations in which the social dynamics and the math don't work out neatly. It's similar to someone wanting to move to a "better neighborhood" to raise their kids, when that new home is located in an area too expensive for some of their friends (or perhaps without enough vacancies for everyone). It's inevitable that servers are going to become full: there are limited number of people interested in highly-competitive WvW and ANet has to cap server populations to make it possible to offer anything close to fair numbers on each side.

That leaves you with only a few options:

* Choose to hang out with friends on a server that's unlikely to be full.

* Choose to be with like-minded competitive WvWers, who might be somewhat less fun, but can bring the hurt to the other side.

An ugly compromise might be to find a competitive guild that server hops to Linked Worlds every couple of months. You'd have to ask your less-competitive friends to move with you, which almost certainly means you'd have to help them out financially so they can afford to indulge your preferences. Some re-links, you'd luck out because there'd be no need to move.

Until & unless ANet finds a way to reinvent WvW so that those who burned out want to return, there simply won't ever be enough people to allow most servers to remain uncapped most of the time.

I am not going to blame anyone for moving to a T1 server. All of us like to be on the winning side.

But this is exactly why there are restrictions. To stop people from moving in droves towards a server that already has no lack of players. It is especially bad when there are WvW guilds moving together. Leaving nothing but casuals and pugs on the old server and overstacking the other servers.

I think having a second account wouldn't hurt. I am implying that _you_ may find it in your best interest _retaining_ these friends that you spend time with them in (their server) WvW and inform them when your main account's server opens up. At least you can use your second account for login rewards thereafter so it won't be entirely useless.

Hope that helps.

But yes, I agree that it's a huge kick in the teeth regarding the barrier that is full server status and newcomers wishing to play with friends.

> @"Dinas Dragonbane.2978" said:

> Plenty of other servers can use players, which is why some are blocked. If these 25 people want to play so badly just choose another server. Why does it HAVE to be just Henge?

First off we grew to love the hod community, however we are open to going to another one of the ranked wvw servers (not t1). They are ALL closed, this is ridiculous your basically screwed if you don't wanna play on a merc server lol..

It would appear, although it has not been stated, that they want more than 12 host servers. Or, more accurately, less mercenary servers. So, by keeping the host servers closed, it pushes people into the other servers.

It wouldn't shock me if they waited a few weeks post expac release to open any of the ones currently closed.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> It would appear, although it has not been stated, that they want more than 12 host servers. Or, more accurately, less mercenary servers. So, by keeping the host servers closed, it pushes people into the other servers.

>

> It wouldn't shock me if they waited a few weeks post expac release to open any of the ones currently closed.

There is 12 servers that are ranked.. The one in dead last is the onlyone open, no option to join a competitive server exists, this is such a turn off lol.. So someone's only option is to join the server in dead last or a merc server which doesnt even play with the same people consistently lol.....

> As of last night, 11 NA servers were closed. Which means one is open. Not sure which one it was. But one is open.

There are 24 NA worlds, not 12.

If people would spread out evenly across worlds (sociologically impossible), then ANet wouldn't close any worlds ever. However, since we tend to migrate towards "winners" and towards friends (who sometimes migrate towards winners), world populations remain uneven, which makes it difficult to arrange reasonable match ups. Accordingly, ANet manually caps worlds to make it _possible_ to arrange link ups so that each side has substantially the same WvW populations (it won't ever be completely even, since numbers vary over time and due to outside factors, influencing each world differently).

> @"Combo Breaker.5486" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > It would appear, although it has not been stated, that they want more than 12 host servers. Or, more accurately, less mercenary servers. So, by keeping the host servers closed, it pushes people into the other servers.

> >

> > It wouldn't shock me if they waited a few weeks post expac release to open any of the ones currently closed.

>

> There is 12 servers that are ranked.. The one in dead last is the onlyone open, no option to join a competitive server exists, this is such a turn off lol.. So someone's only option is to join the server in dead last or a merc server which doesnt even play with the same people consistently lol.....

Only the 3 unpaired servers play with the same group consistently.

Being on the host or the merc is inconsequential

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > As of last night, 11 NA servers were closed. Which means one is open. Not sure which one it was. But one is open.

>

> There are 24 NA worlds, not 12.

>

> If people would spread out evenly across worlds (sociologically impossible), then ANet wouldn't close any worlds ever. However, since we tend to migrate towards "winners" and towards friends (who sometimes migrate towards winners), world populations remain uneven, which makes it difficult to arrange reasonable match ups. Accordingly, ANet manually caps worlds to make it _possible_ to arrange link ups so that each side has substantially the same WvW populations (it won't ever be completely even, since numbers vary over time and due to outside factors, influencing each world differently).

If you read both of my posts, it stated there was one ranked server open.

The option of the mercenary servers was given as well.

And, if you read into the post, it noted my thoughts on why: Anet wants more than 12 ranked servers.

> > It would appear, although it has not been stated, that they want more than 12 host servers. Or, more accurately, less mercenary servers. So, by keeping the host servers closed, it pushes people into the other servers.

> >

> > It wouldn't shock me if they waited a few weeks post expac release to open any of the ones currently closed.

>

> There is 12 servers that are ranked.. The one in dead last is the onlyone open, no option to join a competitive server exists, this is such a turn off lol.. So someone's only option is to join the server in dead last or a merc server which doesnt even play with the same people consistently lol.....

Maybe true. But there are options. That was the point.

As well as that I feel Anet wants more than 12 ranked servers. So, those that are closed will likely stay closed.

> > @"Combo Breaker.5486" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > It would appear, although it has not been stated, that they want more than 12 host servers. Or, more accurately, less mercenary servers. So, by keeping the host servers closed, it pushes people into the other servers.

> > >

> > > It wouldn't shock me if they waited a few weeks post expac release to open any of the ones currently closed.

> >

> > There is 12 servers that are ranked.. The one in dead last is the onlyone open, no option to join a competitive server exists, this is such a turn off lol.. So someone's only option is to join the server in dead last or a merc server which doesnt even play with the same people consistently lol.....

>

> Maybe true. But there are options. That was the point.

>

> As well as that I feel Anet wants more than 12 ranked servers. So, those that are closed will likely stay closed.

Well that sucks I really like this game and I spend a decent amount of money on these games, the game itself is awesome but I just don't wanna play without my friends... I know it may seem inconsequencial but anet loses at least a pretty decent sized guild worth of players by doing this lol, we're all sick of albion but at least we can play it together..

> > > @"Combo Breaker.5486" said:

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > It would appear, although it has not been stated, that they want more than 12 host servers. Or, more accurately, less mercenary servers. So, by keeping the host servers closed, it pushes people into the other servers.

> > > >

> > > > It wouldn't shock me if they waited a few weeks post expac release to open any of the ones currently closed.

> > >

> > > There is 12 servers that are ranked.. The one in dead last is the onlyone open, no option to join a competitive server exists, this is such a turn off lol.. So someone's only option is to join the server in dead last or a merc server which doesnt even play with the same people consistently lol.....

> >

> > Maybe true. But there are options. That was the point.

> >

> > As well as that I feel Anet wants more than 12 ranked servers. So, those that are closed will likely stay closed.

>

> Well that sucks I really like this game and I spend a decent amount of money on these games, the game itself is awesome but I just don't wanna play without my friends... I know it may seem inconsequencial but anet loses at least a pretty decent sized guild worth of players by doing this lol, we're all sick of albion but at least we can play it together..

I guess I would say this; it sucks that they can't move to your server.

If you truly have a guilds worth of people, that can be extremely

Influential on ANY tier server.

My group runs 5-7 deep, during NA prime, on a T-1 server, and take T3 keeps, towers etc. playing a havoc role is extremely effective.

Problem is, many people only want to be one of a Zerg of 40-50 running around with those types of engagements. So, you won't get that as often in smaller tiers.

Bring your guild sized group along. Learn to work on a merc server, OR join the one non merc open server and assist them in rising up to what you call 'competitive levels'

Or play another game/don't play with friends. Personally, I would Move to join my friends.