arcdps not allowing GW2 to start

After today's update I installed the current arcdps as usual. It's build 20181016-184655.

However, when I start GW2, I get the message that a serious error occurred preventing the program from continuing with the dialogue box to send info to Anet.

I've experimented and am sure it's arcdps causing this. The game runs normally when I remove the dll from the bin64 folder.

Any ideas on what to look at to see what the problem is? I haven't encountered this before in a year or so of using the addon.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> shouldn't you be posting this on ArcDPS's sub reddit or forum or whatever they are using?

>

> ArcDPS's dev needs to make changes to their hook on, not the other way around.

I did. That is how I got the solution, as noted in my post right above yours.

I posted the question here, too, because, well, this is the GW2 forum and my problem was in GW2.

And from the arcdps site:

arcdps: gw2 dps meter (and general metrics tool)

WARNING: MODIFYING GUILD WARS 2 THROUGH ANY 3RD PARTY TOOLS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ARENANET OR NCSOFT.

THERE IS NO HELP OR WARRANTY. THIS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY

FOR USING THIS TOOL. IF YOU FEEL THIS PROVIDES GAMEPLAY ADVANTAGE OR AUTOMATION OR BREAKS ANY OTHER

RULES DO NOT USE THIS.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT CONTACT ARENANET SUPPORT WHILE USING THIS MODIFICATION BY ANY MEANS OR UNDER

ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER.

It is kinda wall of text-y so I know it's hard to see in the first paragraph at the very top of the page only a few sentences in, but there it is. :)

> @"deadpool.7036" said:

> Anet might not help... But I don't see anything preventing or violating rules to come here to ask the community about it...

Of course there isn't. The person who made ArcDPS just asked people who use it to not do exactly what the OP did however. While the community gets to see and comment on this, so does ANet/ANet support. Disrespecting and disregarding a simple request by the coder is up to the individual.

> @"CedarDog.9723" said:

> > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > Anet might not help... But I don't see anything preventing or violating rules to come here to ask the community about it...

>

> Of course there isn't. The person who made ArcDPS just asked people who use it to not do exactly what the OP did however. While the community gets to see and comment on this, so does ANet/ANet support. Disrespecting and disregarding a simple request by the coder is up to the individual.

Is he contacting Anet directly by posting here? That's my question. Because I'd side with no, as there are plenty of unanswered threads... This isn't a way to contact them directly.

The second part to this is... What if someone asking about framerate is using ArcDps? But no one knows... What would anyone do? And would ArcDpS be affecting framerate? HIGHLY unlikely.

So bashing OP is a bit silly. That's my point. If no one has advice beside "leave", no one's got anything helpful anyway. He came to find someone dealing with a similar issue... Not an official statement from Anet.

> @"CedarDog.9723" said:

> > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > Anet might not help... But I don't see anything preventing or violating rules to come here to ask the community about it...

>

> Of course there isn't. The person who made ArcDPS just asked people who use it to not do exactly what the OP did however. While the community gets to see and comment on this, so does ANet/ANet support. Disrespecting and disregarding a simple request by the coder is up to the individual.

The OP didn't.

> @"deltaconnected.4058" wrote:

> DO NOT CONTACT ARENANET SUPPORT WHILE USING THIS MODIFICATION BY ANY MEANS OR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER.

The GW2 forums aren't ANet support, as people are reminded nearly every day. To contact support, one must create a ticket. Instead, the OP asked for assistance from the community, something that is perfectly ok and no sign of disrespect at all.

Of course, since there is a support mechanism for ArcDPS listed on that website, posting here might not be the best place. On the other hand, if the OP doesn't use Reddit or Discord, this is fine, if perhaps a little slower in getting a useful response.

> @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > @"CedarDog.9723" said:

> > > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > > Anet might not help... But I don't see anything preventing or violating rules to come here to ask the community about it...

> >

> > Of course there isn't. The person who made ArcDPS just asked people who use it to not do exactly what the OP did however. While the community gets to see and comment on this, so does ANet/ANet support. Disrespecting and disregarding a simple request by the coder is up to the individual.

>

> Is he contacting Anet directly by posting here? That's my question. Because I'd side with no, as there are plenty of unanswered threads... This isn't a way to contact them directly.

>

> The second part to this is... What if someone asking about framerate is using ArcDps? But no one knows... What would anyone do? And would ArcDpS be affecting framerate? HIGHLY unlikely.

>

> So bashing OP is a bit silly. That's my point. If no one has advice beside "leave", no one's got anything helpful anyway. He came to find someone dealing with a similar issue... Not an official statement from Anet.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"CedarDog.9723" said:

> > > @"deadpool.7036" said:

> > > Anet might not help... But I don't see anything preventing or violating rules to come here to ask the community about it...

> >

> > Of course there isn't. The person who made ArcDPS just asked people who use it to not do exactly what the OP did however. While the community gets to see and comment on this, so does ANet/ANet support. Disrespecting and disregarding a simple request by the coder is up to the individual.

>

> The OP didn't.

> > @"deltaconnected.4058" wrote:

> > DO NOT CONTACT ARENANET SUPPORT WHILE USING THIS MODIFICATION BY ANY MEANS OR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER.

> The GW2 forums aren't ANet support, as people are reminded nearly every day. To contact support, one must create a ticket. Instead, the OP asked for assistance from the community, something that is perfectly ok and no sign of disrespect at all.

>

> Of course, since there is a support mechanism for ArcDPS listed on that website, posting here might not be the best place. On the other hand, if the OP doesn't use Reddit or Discord, this is fine, if perhaps a little slower in getting a useful response.

While it is true that posting here is not contacting ANet support directly, and is there anything saying that ANet support never looks in here? They may not respond to stuff in here, but I'll bet stuff in here may get looked at by support/devs. Can you say they never do? ArcDPS's author didn't say "directly" anywhere in that statement. He said "by any means." "By any means" the keyword being "any" makes this fit. But whatever. Nitpicking will just make us go around in circles.

> @"CedarDog.9723" said:

> While it is true that posting here is not contacting ANet support directly, and is there anything saying that ANet support never looks in here? They may not respond to stuff in here, but I'll bet stuff in here may get looked at by support/devs. Can you say they never do? ArcDPS's author didn't say "directly" anywhere in that statement. He said "by any means." "By any means" the keyword being "any" makes this fit. But whatever. Nitpicking will just make us go around in circles.

Of course support will sometimes look here, but they (and Gaile) remind us frequently that the forums are not a tool for contacting support. This is not a support site. The OP didn't post to contact support; they posted to contact other players, which is one of the reasons this site exists.

Since reasonable minds appear to disagree about what is being nitpicked, let me rephrase to bypass the detailed analysis of word choices:

I personally have no problem with people posting a question about 3rd party tools here on the forums. I will answer them if I can.

I will also point out the 3rd party developer's preferred method of support for their product, especially when I cannot answer the question.

> @"CedarDog.9723" said:

>

> While it is true that posting here is not contacting ANet support directly, and is there anything saying that ANet support never looks in here? They may not respond to stuff in here, but I'll bet stuff in here may get looked at by support/devs. Can you say they never do? ArcDPS's author didn't say "directly" anywhere in that statement. He said "by any means." "By any means" the keyword being "any" makes this fit. But whatever. Nitpicking will just make us go around in circles.

The nitpicking might, sure.. since just because the devs read this doesnt mean he's contacting them. He's contacting the community in the tech support forum page. Besides, it's op's problem if he broke the devs rule... Not ours

my point, bashing Op is a bit silly.. since it's not our problem.

My coffee maker hasn't worked since I put in a new filter!

As I use it to drink coffee while playing, I guess this is where I need to ask for help!

Here is a summary of what I think of this post. :p

NB : Contact Deltaconnected on reddit, He always answers. I contacted him many times to report problems and bugs, and he patches them almost all day long.

It may also be that you have gotten to grips with a problem that is not yet known, or an element that it may be able to report in the FAQ or adapted.

Here, you will have only Arcdps users and still very few but certainly none who have answers to the bug since the source code is not released.

The only polite answer we can give you is to remove the addon and wait for an update.

> @"ReActif.9251" said:

> The only polite answer we can give you is to remove the addon and wait for an update.

I realize the thread has digressed a lot, so you might have missed that the OP found a solution to the issue on Reddit (and said so in the fourth post in this thread). This turns out to be a relatively common problem, especially for people who swap hardware or reinstall the game.

> @"ReActif.9251" said:

> My coffee maker hasn't worked since I put in a new filter!

> As I use it to drink coffee while playing, I guess this is where I need to ask for help!

> ...

This actually might make sense if it was known that a large number of GW2 players used that same coffee maker. This forum would be an obvious pool of resources where help might be found. I know that would be silly, but it's in response to an equally silly example. :P Still, since a large number of GW2 players use arcdps, asking here about it is not so silly.

I did not know about deltaconnected. I will definitely keep him in mind.

Also, some are basing their assertion that I was wrong for posting here on the fact that the developer of arcdps has requested that users do not contact Anet support about it. While I disagree that my post is "contacting Anet support," as some have claimed, let's play along and assume it is. The "prohibition" against "contacting Anet support" comes from someone not affiliated with Anet at all. To apply their rules to this forum makes as much sense as making someone obey the laws of Canada while in the United States.

If you think that my OP is somehow breaking the forum rules, then report it to Anet and let them handle it. Otherwise, if you don't have helpful information relevant to the original question, then don't clutter up this thread.

Besides, as noted a few times now, I got the solution and posted it here for others who might have the same problem. Unfortunately, it will likely be missed because it's been buried and obscured. Thanks for that.

I remain amazed that so many are bent out of shape over my simple request.