Black Lion Chests & Guaranteed Scraps

binidj.5734

It used to be that you had a guaranteed claim scrap in each chest, so open ten chests and you got a claim ticket. This has now changed to scraps being a "common" (ha ha) drop with the Black Lion Statuette now being guaranteed ... except it takes 6 Statuettes to make one scrap ... SIX! Or fifty to make a whole ticket. So where it used to cost 1500 gems for a guaranteed skin (pricey but then you got the other random stuff with it so that kind of made up for it), nowadays if you're _really_ unlucky it costs 7500 gems for a _guaranteed_ skin ... and that is just ridiculous; even if we say that the average is half that, we are still left with 3250 gems for a skin. That's the kind of nonsense I expect to see in stereotypical Korean MMOs, it's not something I have come to expect from GW2 ... more fool me it seems.

So no more key purchases for me; fool me once ANet ...

Roll it back to one scrap guaranteed per chest and we'll talk.

They also added 3 new items which will guarantee a skin unlock you don't have already.

What I did is buy a crazy amount of keys and then unlock everything, ... okay I'm broke now, but what I'm trying to say is that with this additional items you can unlock other black lion collections that will give you 7 full tickets each (except the smaller collections).

If you go after them systematically you can get quite a lot of tickets. For example, before using a guaranteed unlock, check how many skins are left for a collection, pick the one with the least amount of skins left, buy them from TP, get 7 Tickets and use the unlock item.

It's not a real solution of course, but I think this might be why they decreased the chances for a ticket scrap.

Honestly, if you're buying BLCK for tickets, dont. You will get the skin ALOT cheaper if you buy it directly.

Like, the newest skins now, how much do they cost ? 60g ? Thats less than 2 Keys!!!! (or somewhere around 2 keys)

Do NOT buy keys for tickets, buy them if you want something specific from the chest, like the new scythe skin, or wardrobe unlocks.

The claim ticket scrap has never been a guaranteed item in the black lion chests. Its true though that you get less tickets and scraps these days since the pool of possible items you can get is much bigger. Nonetheless, the prices for weapon-skins stayed stable and even went down a bit. Mad king weapons are 50g-70g right now, and i remember new weapon skins being around 70g back before they reworked the chests. So i dont see the problem.

I don't think scraps were ever a guaranteed drop, but they used to be much more common because there were fewer common items. But as other people have said it's never been a good idea to buy keys to get a weapon skin, you're better off buying them directly.

I don't even use the free keys I get unless there's an uncommon, account bound drop I really want (like the storm dagger). That way hopefully when one comes up I'll have enough keys to get it.

I don't buy keys...period. I farm 1 per week, and I do enjoy map completion for some downtime gameplay. But other than that, I either buy what I want from the TP or just do without.

No problem buying stuff from the gemstore and supporting ANET, but Keys are not the way I choose to do that, not so long as I can end up with useless stuff, up to and including bags of crafting materials.

> @"binidj.5734" said:

> It used to be that you had a guaranteed claim scrap in each chest, so open ten chests and you got a claim ticket. This has now changed to scraps being a "common" (ha ha) drop with the Black Lion Statuette now being guaranteed ... except it takes 6 Statuettes to make one scrap ... SIX! Or fifty to make a whole ticket. So where it used to cost 1500 gems for a guaranteed skin (pricey but then you got the other random stuff with it so that kind of made up for it), nowadays if you're _really_ unlucky it costs 7500 gems for a _guaranteed_ skin ... and that is just ridiculous; even if we say that the average is half that, we are still left with 3250 gems for a skin. That's the kind of nonsense I expect to see in stereotypical Korean MMOs, it's not something I have come to expect from GW2 ... more fool me it seems.

>

> So no more key purchases for me; fool me once ANet ...

>

> Roll it back to one scrap guaranteed per chest and we'll talk.

When exactly was scrap guaranteed drop from chest ? I dont remember that times, it was always chance...

Not everything you can spend your BL statuettes on is a good deal. Trading statues for ticket scraps is a terrible exchange rate. Yes, 60 statues will get you a complete ticket, but you could also get 2 guaranteed weapon unlocks with that. Because they outnumber almost every other type of skin, you're almost guaranteed to get black lion weapons out of guaranteed weapon unlocks, if you already have all the common craftable skins (which you might want to get out of the way if you're investing in GUs. Nothing more disappointing than getting "Iron Dagger" out of an unlock). Sure you won't get a new one, or a specific one you might want, but you'll still be getting high-value skins.

Not all vendor options in GW2 are equal. Just because the laurel vendor charges 1 laurel for just one tier 1 crafting bag, doesn't mean laurels are garbage, it just means you'll want to spend your laurels on something more useful. You've to to figure out what gives you the most bang for your buck.

> @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> Not everything you can spend your BL statuettes on is a good deal. Trading statues for ticket scraps is a terrible exchange rate. Yes, 60 statues will get you a complete ticket, but you could also get 2 guaranteed weapon unlocks with that. Because they outnumber almost every other type of skin, you're almost guaranteed to get black lion weapons out of guaranteed weapon unlocks, if you already have all the common craftable skins (which you might want to get out of the way if you're investing in GUs. Nothing more disappointing than getting "Iron Dagger" out of an unlock). Sure you won't get a new one, or a specific one you might want, but you'll still be getting high-value skins.

>

> Not all vendor options in GW2 are equal. Just because the laurel vendor charges 1 laurel for just one tier 1 crafting bag, doesn't mean laurels are garbage, it just means you'll want to spend your laurels on something more useful. You've to to figure out what gives you the most bang for your buck.

It's a situational purchase. Don't spend 60 statuettes on a ticket, but using 6 statuettes to complete 9 scraps into a ticket is a good use.

Didn't Anet just have a sale where you got 10 keys and a couple scraps for like 900 gems?

Basically, the scraps were _free_. So you got at least 2 scraps guaranteed per 900 gem/10 key purchase and then whatever RNG got you from the 10 keys.

So if/when you are a few scraps short of 10, this could be a good play. :smile:

Check it out:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Keys_and_Scrap_Package

So, OP, if you must go the route of buying keys for scraps, just wait for this kind of sale to reappear. Otherwise, do as others have said and buy direct from the TP what weapon skins you want to use said scraps for. (This is also what I do.)

Cheers!