[Feedback] Mad King's Raceway [merged]

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit hard indeed, but we are still at the first day, we need some practice. I did the race using the raptor, just to see the course, and I finished 5th, far ahead than many ppl with the beetle. But obviously it's impossible to get gold with the raptor. So far I couldn't go below 1:19 (with 6-7 attempts). I'll keep trying a bit, but yeah, if/once I'll make it, I'll forget about it, it's not so funny.

EDIT: too annoying tombstones, right, but on the other hand, we don't really need to cross the checkpoint/circles: it's enough to pass close to them, so this helps.

> @"Glider.5792" said:

> Ayayayay..... sooo much complaining..

> You people need to stop being soo much on the forum, and put more of that writing effort into practicing the track. Its duable, but it needs time. You need to perfect some part, but definetly not all of them. Check Kirnale.5914 reply for a bit of guidance, might help. When it comes to me, ill just add these things:

> - You cannot drift instantly after boosting, only once the boost has been fully applied, thats is why unless you have enough distance available you wont be able to drift in time

> - Checkpoints are HUGE, you just need to go through close to them, not into them. Abuse this to avoid some drifting.

>

> And again, just keep practicing! When you fail some part of the course, think how to get around it, test things out, find out how to make through them faster. Some things you can boost/drift through, some you cannot. Just keep trying and keep improving.

>

>

not everyone have the time needed to invest into such mini game, they are MINI for reason. but i do not think people mad because its hard but its requirement for "annual Ritual" another achivement which give 50 AP, which is huge... and some people won't get it this year because they suck at beetle or they suck at mad king jp.

P:S its "not" doable, not not duable

> @"Glider.5792" said:

> You people need to stop being soo much on the forum, and put more of that writing effort into practicing the track. Its duable, but it needs time. You need to perfect some part, but definetly not all of them. Check Kirnale.5914 reply for a bit of guidance, might help. When it comes to me, ill just add these things:

> - You cannot drift instantly after boosting, only once the boost has been fully applied, thats is why unless you have enough distance available you wont be able to drift in time

> - Checkpoints are HUGE, you just need to go through close to them, not into them. Abuse this to avoid some drifting.

>

> And again, just keep practicing! When you fail some part of the course, think how to get around it, test things out, find out how to make through them faster. Some things you can boost/drift through, some you cannot. Just keep trying and keep improving.

>

>

I would gladly spend time on it if it was fun. It isn't. The game play isn't rewarding, completing it isn't rewarding (10 ToT bags). And it's not even a "do it once and never look back" challenge like these things usually are. No, you have to do it 3 times. I usually like challenges, but they need to be framed with enjoyable game play, which this isn't. It fails miserably at making me want to try again.

> @"Oogo.4083" said:

> > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > Ayayayay..... sooo much complaining..

> > You people need to stop being soo much on the forum, and put more of that writing effort into practicing the track. Its duable, but it needs time. You need to perfect some part, but definetly not all of them. Check Kirnale.5914 reply for a bit of guidance, might help. When it comes to me, ill just add these things:

> > - You cannot drift instantly after boosting, only once the boost has been fully applied, thats is why unless you have enough distance available you wont be able to drift in time

> > - Checkpoints are HUGE, you just need to go through close to them, not into them. Abuse this to avoid some drifting.

> >

> > And again, just keep practicing! When you fail some part of the course, think how to get around it, test things out, find out how to make through them faster. Some things you can boost/drift through, some you cannot. Just keep trying and keep improving.

> >

> >

>

> not everyone have the time needed to invest into such mini game, they are MINI for reason. but i do not think people mad because its hard but its requirement for "annual Ritual" another achivement which give 50 AP, which is huge... and some people won't get it this year because they suck at beetle or they suck at mad king jp.

> P:S its "not" doable, not not duable

If a person has time to do all other annual achievments, that person has more than enough time to invest the time into this.

> @"Ghostrider.6879" said:

> Gotta say the track is not what I expected, after a few hours of practice I got it down to 53.3 second. The most annoying part is that when you reset the race, none of your skill or endurance is reset, and also the race event pops way too often.

As your name suggests, i would´t have expected anything else!

Hi everyone!

I can fully understand your frustration, because yesterday I thought the racetrack is too difficult and too annoying to be fun.

As someone who likes racing games and who doesn't suffer from motion sickness, I thought I'd be getting the gold reward and the 1 minute achievement in no time, but I was utterly wrong!

The first two hours I helplessly stumbled around the track, hitting every wall and every obstacle in the way, although I knew the whole lap by heart at this time. I really thought I had mastered the steering of the beetle, but I learned the hard way that it obviously wasn't the case.

But I didn't give up and started from scratch to learn the handling and I finally succeeded.

And that is the point. You too shouldn't give up that early. Take all the advices people (like phoenixxx.8230) gave about the handling to heart, go to an open field with no obstacles and start learning. The reward will be huge!

You will see how easy it can be to maneuver round the track and in best case you will have lots of fun finding out, how to get better and better lap times. :) I'll see you on the track, catch me if you can. :)

Welp this Halloween Rituals achievement is ruined for me.

I don't do well at time trails at all! Just tried 15 or 20 times & only managed to get silver on the raptor. The beetle's drifting does not function properly for me despite having the correct keys binds. Just no matter what it over shoots the corners regardless.

That being said the event is ruined for me cause like I said I don't do well with time trails. Recall doing the Clock Tower once like 5 years ago & it about took me all damn day plus. Not going to put my self thru that frustration again. Especially for something that's meant to be fun.

As a returning player, very disappointed.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

> >

> > I tried skill 2 with A and D held down, but to no avail since it reacts extremely slow to my maneuvering and there is no way to abruptly slow down my beetle. What am I missing?

>

> Use the small bumps in the ground to slow down (especially at the start of your boost animation) that way you don't go too crazy on the speed. Also for most situations you want to tap the drift, not hold it down. Takes a bit of time to get behind

I am still 10 seconds short, _but_ I discovered last night that drifting requires you to turn the camera in the _exact_ direction (i.e., the exact angle) in which you intend to steer with this technique, so I suppose that was my mistake (I thought A and D were the keys to align where your beetle drifts, but apperently not). With this new insight, I will try again later.

> @"Bish.8627" said:

> This is actually one of the worst designed aspects of the game I have seen since HoT maps, and that is really saying something.

The worst part is the fact that you have to successfully do this three times to be able to get the annual achievement done. Eek...

There is a lengthy thread building already, but yes not a suitable beetle track. Beetle tracks should be about racing long stretches, sweeping curves and huge air jumps. The drifting mechanic isnt reliable enough for most players and should be confined to things like master level adventures like the griffon skills.

This is a generic raptor or jackal track which lacks anything interesting like mobs, fog patches, scarecrows, flocks of bats attacking, descending axe attacks to avoid and so forth to jazz it up. It was a huge missed opportunity

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > The beetle does not lack maneuverability. Practice drifting ("Mad Drifter" might be a clue).

> > >

> > > I tried skill 2 with A and D held down, but to no avail since it reacts extremely slow to my maneuvering and there is no way to abruptly slow down my beetle. What am I missing?

> >

> > Use the small bumps in the ground to slow down (especially at the start of your boost animation) that way you don't go too crazy on the speed. Also for most situations you want to tap the drift, not hold it down. Takes a bit of time to get behind

>

> I am still 10 seconds short, _but_ I discovered last night that drifting requires you to turn the camera in the _exact_ direction (i.e., the exact angle) in which you intend to steer with this technique, so I suppose that was my mistake (I thought A and D were the keys to align where your beetle drifts, but apperently not). With this new insight, I will try again later.

>

> I only wish ANet was more consistent with their movement control functionalities. For instance, I still find it majorly annoying that my character does not automatically walk (or dodge) in the direction of the camera (when the right mouse button isn't held down that is), but instead always in the direction they are facing. This is rather unpractical in many situations, and there should be a setting to toggle this behavior.

>

> > @"Bish.8627" said:

> > This is actually one of the worst designed aspects of the game I have seen since HoT maps, and that is really saying something.

>

> The worst part is the fact that you have to successfully do this three times to be able to get the annual achievement done. Eek...

There is a setting for this - disabling free camera will realign your camera behind you every time you move ^^

I tried the adventure last night and this morning and was stuck at 1:16 seconds. After coming home from work today I managed to hit a record of 58.960 seconds. I spent much shorter on it than I was dreading to spend.

I spent most of my gaming history on the PC and I'm a skilled platformer (I eat clocktower for breakfast) but there was certainly some luck involved with this race for me. That being said though, this isn't an impossible track. Not at all. The secret lies in drifting. Keep at it (do some practice rounds for warmups) and at some point you'll get a lucky break and not hit any speed bumps.

Edit: One thing I _have_ noticed however, the checkpoints are much larger than they make themselves out to be, so don't worry about going inside them too much. There's some breathing space there so use it to your advantage.

I know my advise ain't great, but it's what I've got. Good luck!

The actual secret is to know how to break. Most people don't break, go at full speed, and can't drift. Drifting requires mid to midhigh speed, cannot be use while speeding up without break, camera control to the direction you want to go and know when to let go of the drifting key. You cannot drift well if ur too fast or even too slow. Speeding up prevents you from drifting, and a short time after the speed (cause ur too fast). Camera control is a must have to change your direction quickly. Pressing the drift key without letting go makes you slide allll the way without actual drifting. Make sure to press "w" towards the camera direction too.

I enjoyed this content. It was challenging and fun to me. Same reason why I enjoyed megaman or other classic games (Old school player here). Though I do think it is too hard for the gw2 community as general, because this game is more or less a casual centric game, so I understand the frustration. But just know it, you don't have to do it to get the 50 AP archivement. There are 10 archivements, and you need only 9 to complete it. The racer archivement is the hardest, so if you want, you can avoid it. And yes, the clock tower is by far easier IMO.

Anways, good luck guys if you are aiming for the 5 AP archivement.

I was recording while I happened to get my successful run. I missed a checkpoint by a mile while still successfully hitting it. I have made a screencap to show how much breathing room the checkpoints really have. If people want, I can also link back my video with the happenstance in action once it is finished processing.

https://i.imgur.com/uv7MFuu.png

> @"Glider.5792" said:

>

>

I think this was my issue causing me to fail my drifts half the time

> @"Kirnale.5914" said:

> The actual secret is to know how to break. Most people don't break, go at full speed, and can't drift. Drifting requires mid to midhigh speed, cannot be use while speeding up without break, camera control to the direction you want to go and know when to let go of the drifting key. You cannot drift well if ur too fast or even too slow. Speeding up prevents you from drifting, and a short time after the speed (cause ur too fast). Camera control is a must have to change your direction quickly. Pressing the drift key without letting go makes you slide allll the way without actual drifting. Make sure to press "w" towards the camera direction too.

>

> I enjoyed this content. It was challenging and fun to me. Same reason why I enjoyed megaman or other classic games (Old school player here). Though I do think it is too hard for the gw2 community as general, because this game is more or less a casual centric game, so I understand the frustration. But just know it, you don't have to do it to get the 50 AP archivement. There are 10 archivements, and you need only 9 to complete it. The racer archivement is the hardest, so if you want, you can avoid it. And yes, the clock tower is by far easier IMO.

>

> Anways, good luck guys if you are aiming for the 5 AP archivement.

There's no break button.

Pressing the backpedal key W will make the mount try to turn around, not just slow down, destabilizing the direction. It'll wobble about and go straight to some obstacle or just stop on its tracks no matter how short the time pressing W was. Baton roue style.

It is pretty clear this mount is not behaving the same for everyone.