CPU temp

hey peeps. im feeling a bit worried about my cpu temp. it is around 45-55 for about 15 minutes. however it slowly creeps up. ive noticed it raises 1 degree when i waypoint. its gotten as hot as 81. if it makes any difference that one time it got that hot id been playing for about an hour. however it usually stays around the high 70s

You're going to want to take a look at your CPU Cooler. Odds are if you've been using the computer for a few years, the thermal paste or the fans on the cooler could have failed. I recommend taking a look and diagnosing whether the fan isn't working, or if the thermal paste failed. There's a few tips.

If the fan isn't running, buy a new fan (Don't go cheap, make sure it can fit your computer case.) and do the steps below.

If the fan is running and you're still running high temps, check the thermal paste.

**Checking the thermal paste:**

1. Get a static displacement mat, or a static discharge strap. Attach that to the case of the opened computer.

2. Double check and make sure the computer is unplugged.

3. Unplug and remove your fan. This can be tricky because the cooling fans can be very difficult due to the tight tolerances to remove and put back, so be careful. (You're not likely to break anything if you need to use a little force to put it back after.)

4. Check the thermal paste after removing the fan. It's silvery or grey. If it looks super dry and cracked you need to replace it.

5. Clean the contact on the fan and the CPU with isopropyl alcohol, or electronics cleaning solution. DO NOT use any other kind. I use coffee filters on this part to help clean up the old paste because it will not leave fibers. You can also use Q-tips if you're careful to not catch it on anything. Small drops of the solution at a time. Slow and steady.

6. Buy new thermal paste from amazon or somewhere. http://a.co/d/ekxCSZy

7. Follow instruction elsewhere on proper application.

8. Replace fan, clamp down and plug in.

9. Run a stress test for temp.

Let me know if this does it for ya. You should also regularly clean out your PC of dust too using compressed electronics air.

I agree with what Alimar said. Except I suggest starting with cleaning out all the fans and the case to make sure there's minimal dust and good airflow through the case, because that might be all it needs and that's a lot less hassle than replacing the thermal paste.

Also if you do replace it do step 6 - buying new paste - first. It's not expensive and if you have a PC it will come in useful sooner or later, and buying it first means you can do the whole process in one go instead of removing the old stuff and then being unable to use the computer until you've got the new one.

Sadly GW2 (as most mmos) is very CPU dependant and it feels like they're not using my GPU at all :/ That's sad.

I purchuased new laptop like a month ago, 70 Celsius degrees on most games (like .e.g Witcher 3, Nier Automata) etc - which is good.

Processor - Intel Core i7-8750H

Graphic Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

SSD disc

Yet on GW2 its almost permanent 80-84 Celsius degrees on events, crowded areas etc with fans running on max and drops to 55-60 when nothing is going on.

It makes me sad :/. I know laptops heat easier but its obviously game optimisation fault.

At least Im no longer lagging in Lions Arch after laptop upgrade!

I will look on WP point you made to see if it works the same for me. Maybe it does :o

Trust me GW2 does use the GPU. I've had 2 graphics cards break in the time I've been playing (one not long after I got the game and one a year ago) and when I have to use the CPU's onboard graphics instead the difference is very noticeable, not just in the quality of the graphics but loadings times and performance.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I agree with what Alimar said. Except I suggest starting with cleaning out all the fans and the case to make sure there's minimal dust and good airflow through the case, because that might be all it needs and that's a lot less hassle than replacing the thermal paste.

>

> Also if you do replace it do step 6 - buying new paste - first. It's not expensive and if you have a PC it will come in useful sooner or later, and buying it first means you can do the whole process in one go instead of removing the old stuff and then being unable to use the computer until you've got the new one.

Yes, you regularly want to dust your PC with compressed air (preferably outside on a static mat.) I usually do that every 6 months but it depends on where you live and how dusty it can get. Dusting will be less invasive and improvement will be immediate if that is the issue. Make sure before you dust to prevent any fans from spinning when you do so. Causing fans to spin can actually damage the electronics.

You'll definitely want to buy thermal paste before you start, and one package is enough for one or even two repairs.

> @"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:

> What CPU? What is the load at with those temps? Depending on CPU, those temps are still in safe range, maybe a bit high. What is room temp? What is CPU fan speed profile set to if it has one?

i have an i7-6700k. the cores are around 40 or 50 percent at those temps however when i waypoint it spikes to like 70 for like a second and it drops back down. my temp is about 25c in room. the fans are roughly around 18oo rpm when it hits the high 70s. when its around 45 to 65 the fans do like ~1440 rpm