The Guild Wars 2 Wiki

Arenanet uses the wiki as the OFFICIAL help of the game, the player follows the site and loses money, the company defends itself by saying that the site is made by fans, says that but uses the site as official content.

It can open the space for the fan to add content but have to take responsibility for it if she wants to use it as official help of the game.

If I wanted a fan site I would not go to the official site of the game, in which you are directed straight from the inside of the game, when I see information inside the official website of the game I should make sure it is 100% correct.

It's easy to get fan-made content, use it as an official and not take responsibility for it, expect much more from the arenanet.

I know I was not the only one who went through this, I want to know until when we'll accept this quiet

Sorry for my English

It's a lot of work to maintain a wiki. ArenaNet decided to provide an official platform and let players who are dedicated put the content in. At the top of the wiki when you open the page it says it right there:

Welcome to the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki, the comprehensive reference written and maintained by the players.

It's a mixed bag because it's not as up-to-date as I would expect a wiki to be, so it seems that not that many players are interested in maintaining it. The problem is that it is a lot of work to maintain and I suspect most players would rather have ArenaNet concentrate on making more content for the game than maintaining the wiki. It's not ideal but there it is.

> @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> I'm not sure what the problem is here. I find the wiki to be very helpful and for the most part accurate. Sure a few things might end up being wrong but mistakes or outdated information happens everywhere in life.

Yes, I agree with you, it is very useful, it always has a tab with it open, I understand that it may have some errors, but if the company uses it as official material it has to take responsibility for the errors.

sorry my english

> @"LeoHardBoy.8410" said:

> > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > I'm not sure what the problem is here. I find the wiki to be very helpful and for the most part accurate. Sure a few things might end up being wrong but mistakes or outdated information happens everywhere in life.

> Yes, I agree with you, it is very useful, it always has a tab with it open, I understand that it may have some errors, but if the company uses it as official material it has to take responsibility for the errors.

> sorry my english

>

I guess I’ve missed that. Where has ANet said it’s the official help, as opposed to the unofficial, player generated help?

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> It's not the official help, it's the official wiki. There is a difference. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. How does using the Wiki lose me money?

When I said help I meant official wiki, sorry, I'm very upset about this situation and I do not know English, I'm using google translate, I said badly, I'm sorry.

The wiki serves as an aid, it is for you to know what to do when you do not know what to do.

A certain item in the wiki was like "account bound" and said that the only way to get this item was through a npc, I spent a lot of gold and laurel unnecessarily, everything I bought would spend less than 1 gold in the trading post.

Sorry my english

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > It's not the official help, it's the official wiki. There is a difference. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. How does using the Wiki lose me money?

>

> When I said help I meant official wiki, sorry, I'm very upset about this situation and I do not know English, I'm using google translate, I said badly, I'm sorry.

> The wiki serves as an aid, it is for you to know what to do when you do not know what to do.

> A certain item in the wiki was like "account bound" and said that the only way to get this item was through a npc, I spent a lot of gold and laurel unnecessarily, everything I bought would spend less than 1 gold in the trading post.

> Sorry my english

That's fine and being annoyed is fine as well. But, 100% it is not the responsibility of Anet. It is a fully player updated platform. Anet cannot possibly maintain or supervise such an extensive site and so they host it purely for the community to keep up to date. Sometimes players get it wrong - that happens with any wiki including the original Wikipedia which is often utterly inaccurate.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> It's a lot of work to maintain a wiki. ArenaNet decided to provide an official platform and let players who are dedicated put the content in. At the top of the wiki when you open the page it says it right there:

>

> Welcome to the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki, the comprehensive reference written and maintained by the players.

>

> It's a mixed bag because it's not as up-to-date as I would expect a wiki to be, so it seems that not that many players are interested in maintaining it. The problem is that it is a lot of work to maintain and I suspect most players would rather have ArenaNet concentrate on making more content for the game than maintaining the wiki. It's not ideal but there it is.

I know it's a lot of work to keep a wiki, I know it's done by fans, but I thought (sorry my naivety) that arenanet supervised the content, that all content was 100% correct, but were errors that did not hurt the player.

Sorry my english

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"LeoHardBoy.8410" said:

> > > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > > I'm not sure what the problem is here. I find the wiki to be very helpful and for the most part accurate. Sure a few things might end up being wrong but mistakes or outdated information happens everywhere in life.

> > Yes, I agree with you, it is very useful, it always has a tab with it open, I understand that it may have some errors, but if the company uses it as official material it has to take responsibility for the errors.

> > sorry my english

> >

>

> I guess I’ve missed that. Where has ANet said it’s the official help, as opposed to the unofficial, player generated help?

I did not understand your question when I translated, but I'll see if I understand.

Arenanet does not have an official wiki (made by arenanet) but uses content made by the fan as official.

From the moment she directs the direct player from the game to the wiki she uses this as the official wiki, if it is official she should take responsibility for the mistakes.

If that's not what I understood, I'm sorry.

Sorry my english

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"LeoHardBoy.8410" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > It's not the official help, it's the official wiki. There is a difference. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. How does using the Wiki lose me money?

> >

> > When I said help I meant official wiki, sorry, I'm very upset about this situation and I do not know English, I'm using google translate, I said badly, I'm sorry.

> > The wiki serves as an aid, it is for you to know what to do when you do not know what to do.

> > A certain item in the wiki was like "account bound" and said that the only way to get this item was through a npc, I spent a lot of gold and laurel unnecessarily, everything I bought would spend less than 1 gold in the trading post.

> > Sorry my english

>

> That's fine and being annoyed is fine as well. But, 100% it is not the responsibility of Anet. It is a fully player updated platform. Anet cannot possibly maintain or supervise such an extensive site and so they host it purely for the community to keep up to date. Sometimes players get it wrong - that happens with any wiki including the original Wikipedia which is often utterly inaccurate.

>

>

She uses this wiki as the official wiki of the game, when the player has some doubts she is redirected to the wiki, if she does not want to be responsible for the possible errors of the fans she should not use this as a "game help"

Do you understand where I want to go?

sorry my english

The easiest way to understand the term "official" in this context is that

1) they host it on their servers

2) they advertise it through links from the website and from in game

3) they allow use of their assets like logos, images, concept work

Being official does not necessarily mean they are responsible for it or write it or maintain it. In this case, it is a misunderstanding of both what official means and how a Wiki works.

Simply put, this is not Anets problem. But it can be fixed if you post what the item was to avoid others encountering the problem

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I'm not sure what the problem is here. I find the wiki to be very helpful and for the most part accurate. Sure a few things might end up being wrong but mistakes or outdated information happens everywhere in life.

> Yes, I agree with you, it is very useful, it always has a tab with it open, I understand that it may have some errors, but if the company uses it as official material it has to take responsibility for the errors.

> sorry my english

You’re saying that just because ANet refers players to the wiki then they need to oversee it to make sure there are no errors. They might as well take it over and do it completely themselves in that case as it would be a ton of work to go through and check each player entered site. That’s not going to happen. The wiki has always been a group volunteer effort and the accuracy depends solely on the volunteers who write it and the volunteers who moderate it.

>Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia, created and edited by volunteers around the world and hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> The easiest way to understand the term "official" in this context is that

>

> 1) they host it

> 2) they advertise it through links from the website and from in game

> 3) they allow use of their assets like logos, images, concept work

>

> Being official does not necessarily mean they are responsible for it or write it or maintain it

You are not understanding the intent of this post.

I will exemplify it to get easier.

A player has a question within the game, he will seek help where? it will be redirected to the "official" wiki.

If it was "just" the site I would not have to come here to question this, but they use THIS SITE as a help INSIDE GAME, from that moment they should be responsible about the content.

One thing is to provide a space for the fan to create its content, another thing is to use this content as a direct "help" of the game, when it directs the player directly to the wiki it subscribes underneath the content, so it should be responsible for it .

Can you understand my intention here?

sorry my english

• ArenaNet Staff

We value the wiki community very much, for through the efforts of individual editors and volunteer wiki leaders, there exists a growing resource that benefits every player. We do not, will not, cannot, and should not be asked to "take responsibility" for the accuracy of something that is created by the community. I agree with others in this thread who have indicated that they know of no company that "owns" the public wiki content connected with their company or their products.

We write and publish a lot of materials, from blog posts to official statements to press releases to website content. The suggestion that we should monitor and correct all entries in a huge community-created resource such as the Official Guild Wars 2 Wiki is not at all reasonable.

To address your particular situation, I believe you are saying that an item is listed on the wiki as being account bound when it fact it is available through the Trading Post. If that is truly the case, you should consider helping all of us in the community by updating the wiki page -- which you can do very easily using the instructions on the wiki itself -- so that others will benefit from your knowledge. I sense that you have requested that ArenaNet reimburse you for the difference in cost between the crafted item and the item purchased through the Trading Post because of an error made by a wiki contributor. However, it would not be reasonable for us make such a refund, for doing so would be accepting a level of involvement, ownership, and responsibility related to wiki content that does not, in fact, exist.