What about Energy gain on weapon swap?

Omnicron.2467

Recently been grinding a lot with Revenant and I have been thinking for a long time whether there is an easy way to impliment energy gain which is not skewed to one kind of playstyle (Like gaining energy on crits would favour Berzerker builds). Today I thought that perhaps if there was a trait that gave energy on weapon swap that could work quite nicely, it give you the option to camp on one Legend for longer, but needing to swap weapons. The energy gain would have to be medium amount, maybe 20? What do people think?

Personally I don't think this would be a good idea because it would be too powerful without any drawbacks. Assuming Charged Mists would be able to be taken as well, there would be an overexcessive potential for energy generation.

If increased energy generation were to be introduced independent of legend swapping, it should have to come at a sacrifice, such as putting legend swap on cooldown. That way you run the risk of being locked out of other legend skills (or your other heal) that you may need to survive.

> @"Omnicron.2467" said:

> Recently been grinding a lot with Revenant and I have been thinking for a long time whether there is an easy way to impliment energy gain which is not skewed to one kind of playstyle (Like gaining energy on crits would favour Berzerker builds). Today I thought that perhaps if there was a trait that gave energy on weapon swap that could work quite nicely, it give you the option to camp on one Legend for longer, but needing to swap weapons. The energy gain would have to be medium amount, maybe 20? What do people think?

I don't think I will ever understand people's desire to just camp a Legend or why people who want to camp a Legend simply don't just manage their Energy accordingly. Still, this idea will brush up against the fact that Revenant doesn't exactly have a nice variety of weapons to swap into in the first place. You are far more likely to camp a weapon set due to the lack of solid back up choices than you are a Legend. Without proper weapon support, such a trait solves nothing. It also wouldn't really address peoples core problem, the desire to camp into a specific set of actions. You'll have people complain that in order to gain more Energy they either have to change their Legend or change their weapons. I have a feeling that people who want to camp are not going to be happy with a forced weapon swap.

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> > @"Omnicron.2467" said:

> > Recently been grinding a lot with Revenant and I have been thinking for a long time whether there is an easy way to impliment energy gain which is not skewed to one kind of playstyle (Like gaining energy on crits would favour Berzerker builds). Today I thought that perhaps if there was a trait that gave energy on weapon swap that could work quite nicely, it give you the option to camp on one Legend for longer, but needing to swap weapons. The energy gain would have to be medium amount, maybe 20? What do people think?

>

> I don't think I will ever understand people's desire to just camp a Legend or why people who want to camp a Legend simply don't just manage their Energy accordingly. Still, this idea will brush up against the fact that Revenant doesn't exactly have a nice variety of weapons to swap into in the first place. You are far more likely to camp a weapon set due to the lack of solid back up choices than you are a Legend. Without proper weapon support, such a trait solves nothing. It also wouldn't really address peoples core problem, the desire to camp into a specific set of actions. You'll have people complain that in order to gain more Energy they either have to change their Legend or change their weapons. I have a feeling that people who want to camp are not going to be happy with a forced weapon swap.

Although not the case for OP, I think a lot of this perspective comes from healing builds (well really, I am just projecting). IMO healers don't have as much of a smooth transition between fulfilling their role when swapping legends. There is secondary support via boons, condition management, etc. in other legends, but they usually do not perform as impactfully as Ventari. I understand that camping a legend is against the design's intent of the spec, so I think it would be best to work on bridging that gap between legend performance for healers via some tweaks to traits, weapon skills (shield mostly), and legend skills.

(This is coming from a PvP/WvW perspective, as I rarely PvE and don't think this carries the same weight in it.)

> @"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

> > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > @"Omnicron.2467" said:

> > > Recently been grinding a lot with Revenant and I have been thinking for a long time whether there is an easy way to impliment energy gain which is not skewed to one kind of playstyle (Like gaining energy on crits would favour Berzerker builds). Today I thought that perhaps if there was a trait that gave energy on weapon swap that could work quite nicely, it give you the option to camp on one Legend for longer, but needing to swap weapons. The energy gain would have to be medium amount, maybe 20? What do people think?

> >

> > I don't think I will ever understand people's desire to just camp a Legend or why people who want to camp a Legend simply don't just manage their Energy accordingly. Still, this idea will brush up against the fact that Revenant doesn't exactly have a nice variety of weapons to swap into in the first place. You are far more likely to camp a weapon set due to the lack of solid back up choices than you are a Legend. Without proper weapon support, such a trait solves nothing. It also wouldn't really address peoples core problem, the desire to camp into a specific set of actions. You'll have people complain that in order to gain more Energy they either have to change their Legend or change their weapons. I have a feeling that people who want to camp are not going to be happy with a forced weapon swap.

>

> Although not the case for OP, I think a lot of this perspective comes from healing builds (well really, I am just projecting). IMO healers don't have as much of a smooth transition between fulfilling their role when swapping legends. There is secondary support via boons, condition management, etc. in other legends, but they usually do not perform as impactfully as Ventari. I understand that camping a legend is against the design's intent of the spec, so I think it would be best to work on bridging that gap between legend performance for healers via some tweaks to traits, weapon skills (shield mostly), and legend skills.

>

> (This is coming from a PvP/WvW perspective, as I rarely PvE and don't think this carries the same weight in it.)

Still, if you manage your Energy well then it's possible to stay in a single Legend longer. I do Power Herald in PvP and I'd have to say I spend a good 75% of the match in Glint since I'm typically running between nodes to cap and the Swiftness from Facet of Elements is ideal for that. So that means I have to plan accordingly and make sure I'm not running too many of Glint's upkeeps at once. However, I do not think Ventari is meant to be played as a traditional healer that is always spamming heals as you would see from Druid. With Ventari you're basically a hybrid healer so ideally, you are performing another function other than healing, such spamming boons with Glint. I think if you approach Ventari healing as a traditional healing build such as Druid you will have issues with Energy. I think if you playing Ventari healing like you play the rest of the profession then Energy problems become less as you are switching your roles up.

> @"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

> Personally I don't think this would be a good idea because it would be too powerful without any drawbacks. Assuming Charged Mists would be able to be taken as well, there would be an overexcessive potential for energy generation.

>

> If increased energy generation were to be introduced independent of legend swapping, it should have to come at a sacrifice, such as putting legend swap on cooldown. That way you run the risk of being locked out of other legend skills (or your other heal) that you may need to survive.

it would nice in some other eliite legend :), in future, but for what we have now IMO dont make much sense.

GS legend, warrior has CD on it, rev would have energy gain :}, lets say it isnt a direct energy gain value, but +1 or +2 pips of e-regen for like 5sec.

Just to be clear this was never a fully worked out idea, I mostly just wanted to see how people would react to something like this so I can think about revenant gameplay further. It was motivated by one of the frustrations I had with revenant when playing the profession which was how quickly energy dissapears when you try and use a number of skills in quick succession. I thought it would be a broad desire for more energy management tools. It was not about camping one legend indefinately, but a means to give you a bit of quick energy as a boost when you need it with the drawback of needing to swap to second weapon set you might not want or needing to equip two sets of the same weapons.

Having played more revenant after the somewhat recent changes to the energy cost of some skills it seems a lot more manageable and I am finding I can actually manage my energy much more easily with normal Legend swapping. But still wanted to sound the idea of having more energy boost options.

> @"Omnicron.2467" said:

> Just to be clear this was never a fully worked out idea, I mostly just wanted to see how people would react to something like this so I can think about revenant gameplay further. It was motivated by one of the frustrations I had with revenant when playing the profession which was how quickly energy dissapears when you try and use a number of skills in quick succession. I thought it would be a broad desire for more energy management tools. It was not about camping one legend indefinately, but a means to give you a bit of quick energy as a boost when you need it with the drawback of needing to swap to second weapon set you might not want or needing to equip two sets of the same weapons.

>

> Having played more revenant after the somewhat recent changes to the energy cost of some skills it seems a lot more manageable and I am finding I can actually manage my energy much more easily with normal Legend swapping. But still wanted to sound the idea of having more energy boost options.

The thing of it is, though, is that so long as you are managing your Energy properly you don't really need a quick Energy boost. Also, weapon swapping isn't exactly a drawback, more so if you can get around any drawback that might be there by simply equipping the exact same weapons. If I'm running sword/sword and I swap into sword/sword to gain more Energy I have not hit any form of drawback as I'm still doing exactly what I was doing before the weapon swap.

i do know you have nrg gain 25 on legend swap which means you start from 75% nrg and not 50%.

i dont think you need nrg gain on weapon swap.

although i would like to gain more nrg via the ways thief has like in every trait line almost there are ways to gain initiatives so do rev. but i think it will results in dmg reduction as you will be able to use more skills, and maybe more nerfs in boons proc, aoe support etc...

as for now power rev as i see it is in a good spot in any form a play style pvp, pve, wvw.

i think anet try to adress the nrg problem within the skills

i do think that starting from 100% nrg the fight should be enough for all build concept. and when you swap after you enter the fight you gain only 50%.