Back in 2012 we said Add Ons wasnt needed, but did we change our views since then?

Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

Not familiar with healbot. What did that add on do exactly?

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

>

> Not familiar with healbot. What did that add on do exactly?

If memory serves, it kept track of all health bars, and prioritized who to heal, when, and how to heal.

Made it easier to see status ailments, and help you decide “do I focus on the tank now, do I heal everyone, does anyone have critical conditions”

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

> >

> > Not familiar with healbot. What did that add on do exactly?

>

> If memory serves, it kept track of all health bars, and prioritized who to heal, when, and how to heal.

> Made it easier to see status ailments, and help you decide “do I focus on the tank now, do I heal everyone, does anyone have critical conditions”

So how is that different from the arcdps healing add on?

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

> > >

> > > Not familiar with healbot. What did that add on do exactly?

> >

> > If memory serves, it kept track of all health bars, and prioritized who to heal, when, and how to heal.

> > Made it easier to see status ailments, and help you decide “do I focus on the tank now, do I heal everyone, does anyone have critical conditions”

>

> So how is that different from the arcdps healing add on?

wasent implemented for gw2 most of these addons seem to be wow addons people wanted in gw2 for some reason.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

Maybe not needed but...

How about the following?

- smart bag organization, grouping and sorting by a list of characteristics (not just, slam everything side-by-side)

- resizing boons, alignment, maybe specifying which ones you care about and have them in a different spot

- chaning the cooldown animation

- change the shape/direction or the health bar

- tooltip addons, one that tells you the going price on the market for a specific item

- trade market value tracking

Just some ideas here. Not necessary, but way easier to implement with add-on support.

So while GW2 definitely doesn't need healbot... The majority of add-ons are enhancements to the game, not necessities.

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > Healing without Healbot (or similar, if such exists) in WoW was (is?) needed. GW2 does not present anything approaching the challenge to successful play that the add-on-free WoW UI offered for healers. GW2 addons at most offer convenience, not things that players can get by without. However, some players will believe that those conveniences are needed.

>

> Not familiar with healbot. What did that add on do exactly?

It generated an interface with tiny icons for the whole party or raid. A healer could bind skills to different keys (I used Naga mouse buttons), then just cursor over one of the icons, click the key for the skill you wanted to use and it would affect that character. The alternative (using the base AI) was to click on the character's icon in the party UI, wait for their target bar to appear, then begin casting. The UI method was slow and clunky, Healbot was smooth and fast. The time saved was often enough to prevent an oops, sorry, moment.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

>

> If memory serves, it kept track of all health bars, and prioritized who to heal, when, and how to heal.

> Made it easier to see status ailments, and help you decide “do I focus on the tank now, do I heal everyone, does anyone have critical conditions”

As Ayakuru says, it showed status conditions as well. When I played (late BC, early Wrath), it did not offer any prioritization, iirc, but that may have changed after I left.

As far is it goes, in GW2 it is not possible to target heal, so most of what Healbot did would be useless.