Birthday Gifts

> @"Staynair.8073" said:

> In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

Why?.... so I can enjoy the crafting bags of t4 mats, revive orbs and if I am lucky a self-styled hair kit?

Consider this a vote against your idea.

BL keys aren't very attractive once you have opened a bunch and seen just how little value they typically hold.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

>

> Why?.... so I can enjoy the crafting bags of t4 mats, revive orbs and if I am lucky a self-styled hair kit?

and what do we have now, yet another level tome, a weapon that doesn't fin anything in the game, a booster for a couple of days?

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> >

> > Why?.... so I can enjoy the crafting bags of t4 mats, revive orbs and if I am lucky a self-styled hair kit?

>

> and what do we have now, yet another level tome, a weapon that doesn't fin anything in the game, a booster for a couple of days?

>

>

If that's all you are receiving in your Birthday Gifts, you might consider a -repair to the client. Most of us receive much, much more.

Good luck.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > @"Staynair.8073" said:

> > > > In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

> > >

> > > Why?.... so I can enjoy the crafting bags of t4 mats, revive orbs and if I am lucky a self-styled hair kit?

> >

> > and what do we have now, yet another level tome, a weapon that doesn't fin anything in the game, a booster for a couple of days?

> >

> >

>

> If that's all you are receiving in your Birthday Gifts, you might consider a -repair to the client. Most of us receive much, much more.

>

> Good luck.

humor me, a mini we get with every single character is nothing to brag about, nor is a one time back piece or an outfit that is seriously the most ugly they have. (and they have plenty of ugly ones)

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> nothing to brag about,

Birthday Gifts are, you know, gifts. They aren't meant to brag about.

> nor is a one time back piece or an outfit that is seriously the most ugly they have. (and they have plenty of ugly ones)

Eye of the beholder. The fact that _you_ don't like it doesn't make it "not a gift;" it just means it's a gift you don't like.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > nothing to brag about,

> Birthday Gifts are, you know, gifts. They aren't meant to brag about.

>

> > nor is a one time back piece or an outfit that is seriously the most ugly they have. (and they have plenty of ugly ones)

> Eye of the beholder. The fact that _you_ don't like it doesn't make it "not a gift;" it just means it's a gift you don't like.

>

and so i ask for some randomness, a gift isn't supposed to be predictable.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> and so i ask for some randomness,

Sure, it's fair to ask for it.

> a gift isn't supposed to be predictable.

No, a gift is not "supposed" to be anything except freely given. A lot of folks have explained how they think that random undermines the value to them, even as you've maintained that a predictable selection makes it less interesting to you.

> @"Staynair.8073" said:

> In GW1 there was at least some randomness to the birthday gifts. Can we throw in a black lion key to give us back some of that randomness.

I think this is a good idea. We need more black lion keys in the game to be honest.

What I would like to know from Anet is - what happens when you get a dye package from a birthday gift, but you've already unlocked those dyes? It's a complete waste of an item. There should be a way to exchange it for something useful at least.

The fact you can get keys for map completion (~25-35% chance completing any of the non city PvE maps), as well as keyfarming suggests that Anet is willing to give out keys other than buying them.

If they tossed a key in for the birthday gift and removed some of the other stuff, I'd be fine with that. You get some RNG, so you might get something really valuable. However, if you don't but someone does, there is a way to try and get that valuable gift (buy more keys - helps out Anet). In comparison, with GW1, if you didn't get the rare gift, there really wasn't anything you could do about it.

1 Key/character/birthday seems pretty cheap. And if someone buys more characters slots to get more keys (which would take quite a while to pay back), Anet also makes money in that case. However, they could only realistically do it for new birthdays (7th year), as otherwise people would complain that they got a bunch of junk for the first 6 birthdays, and they'd much rather have 6 keys vs that junk.

I would have put 1 bl key within the login rewards, maybe instead the 2nd black lion package. But dunno maybe too much...

Then if for birthday, would add 1 key per year. This way you are super happy to have conserved your character. I mean 6 keys for 2190 days, it worths it no? Frankly, I don't know. So hmm 21 "free" keys for a 6 year account? After reaching the birthdays with other toons you don't have key.... then yeah maybe

1 key = 1 birthday