Level Scrolls

I know I can not be the only one who has WAY more level scrolls (from birthdays) than they need. I have 24 characters who are all level 80 so they sit on a mule just sitting there. Is there a reason we can't use them on a level 80 character to get the spirit shards? I mean if I wanted to use my level 60 scroll on a level 80 to get the 60 spirit shards as if I had used 60 tomes of knowledge... why is this not allowed?

I happen to make a lot of legendary items so I can use the spirit shards I know tons of people are swimming in them but not everyone is. I also WvW so changing builds I need the anthology of heroes often as well.

Also sorry if this was asked elsewhere or there is already an answer I tried to search but I may have missed it.

This might not be the answer you want but I use them to make key runners/temporary characters. Doing the level 10 story gets you 1 black lion key, the first step of the level 40 story gets you another one, and the level 60 story has a third. I always keep enough scrolls/tomes that I can instantly level a character to 80, just in case I ever want to, then I use the rest for characters I want to try but I'm not planning to keep.

I wouldn't mind having the option to turn them into spirit shards, but I doubt I'd ever use it. I have more spirit shards than I'm ever likely to use, and I can get more from tomes if I ever do want them.

> @"CharterforGw.3149" said:

> I'd say that have a complete conversion in levels to spirit shards is a bit to much, but a level 60 tome could give 30shards. while a level 10 tome gives 5. (it's a free birthday item, meant to level. not to gain shards)

>

Why would they not equal the value of the level? Currently, a Tome of knowledge gives me 1 shard, same as if I used 100 of them I get 100 shards.

@"Danikat.8537" I used to key farm all the time before it became so restricted. I hate having to wait a week to do the next farm personally but yes I used to use them for that.

Are you really running out of spirit shards? I didn't even know that could happen. (For veterans; for newer players who are working too quickly on legendaries, it's just about possible.) Before spirit shards could be earned from XP, I went through a period of spending a ton unlocking all the basic ascended weapon skins... and I still didn't make a dent in my overstock of shards.

In the meantime, just create a toon, use the tome, delete the toon. Repeat until you run out of scrolls.

It would be nice if GW2 had something where you could trade in unwanted account bound items for something, and that something can then be used to buy a variety of things (it could be 1/10th of a black lion statue, for example).

In that way, if you get merchant express, repair canisters, or other 'useless' stuff from black lion chests, or likewise, useless birthday gifts, you could at least get something for them. Exactly what could be traded in and their value is a matter of debate.