Retroactive adjustment of colors on new and old armor to match?

hERo.2976

As someone who mixes and matches various armor pieces and styles, I have a slight complaint. Depending on how old the armor set, it seems like the particular shade of dye does not match itself. I have this problem especially with metallic tints (golds, silvers, bronzes), but also with Greens and Blues. I am still building my dye collection, and there is potential that one of the other dyes would match the older armor to the newer armor, but that seems a little strange that I would need to mix and match dyes just to get the same shade on my mixed sets of armor.

Age of the armor (when it was added to the game) has nothing to do with how dyes apply differently to them.

Even within armor weights, there’s various textures that are placed onto armor sets.

For example, Antique Gold will look different placed on the metal part of T3 Human Sorcerer’s Epaulets to when it is placed on the Inquest Vest chest. These have been in game since the beginning.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> Age of the armor (when it was added to the game) has nothing to do with how dyes apply differently to them.

> Even within armor weights, there’s various textures that are placed onto armor sets.

> For example, Antique Gold will look different placed on the metal part of T3 Human Sorcerer’s Epaulets to when it is placed on the Inquest Vest chest. These have been in game since the beginning.

I agree. I recently switched my main character from using the Noble coat to Heart of Koda (the Honor of the Waves set) and suddenly remembered part of the reason I stopped using it before is all the dyes look a bit washed out on the main part of the coat. Both are from release and presumably both are supposed to be made of leather but the same dyes look very different on them. So it's not a difference between newer and older armour.

Fortunately I've got a lot more dyes to choose from than I used to. I'm using Bloodstone Indigo - which on a lot of things is **very** bright - to get the same sort of shade I'd normally get from Orchid on anything else.

It would be nice if the way dyes applied was more consistent. I'm fine with it changing based on the material used - I certainly wouldn't want to be restricted to only using 'metallic' dyes if I want my heavy armour to actually look like metal - but I would expect that applying the same dye to leather on two different armour sets would produce roughly the same result.

But for various reasons I recommend trying to avoid getting too attached to using specific dyes. Whether it's because of the material or the design of the armour or the light in the maps you're currently playing or whatever else I often find myself using a variety of dyes even if I want broadly the same colour.

I wouldn't bring up the issue if it were a matter of all leathers or cloths having the same color. I bring it up because two cloth type armors when dyed the same color are different. All light armor is basically made out of cloth with a couple leather pieces or metal pieces thrown in. I thought I recognized most of these different material regions, and generally try to introduce a contrast color for metal plates over cloth, or if I see something that looks like leather. I think cloth should look the same with the same dye across the same armor weight is all. I've got medium and light armor sets that should be the same material mismatched with the same color, and the different shades aren't complimentary...

I agree. It’s annoying. I have a blue Sylvari Mesmer in mixed light armor dyed white and until I finally got permafrost the chest piece was never really white. It would be white sometimes but otherwise it would be gray or dark while the rest of the armor was white. Permafrost on the whole armor fixed it but at the expense of removing detail.